2019 Baseball Season

PSUgrower

Re: 2019 Baseball Season

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:58 am

I would like to see baseball make a rule where the 3rd baseman and SS must stay to the left of 2nd base and the 2B and 1B must stay to the right of 2nd base.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:19 am

You may get your wish. MLB is experimenting with a number of potential rule changes. They actually paid the independent Atlantic Lead to implement a bunch of rule changes that MLB is thinking about. You'll like some of them and some you may not like .

Here is the list of proposed changes

Some of these I like, some of these I'm indifferent to, and some of them I really hate.

On the "hate" list is moving back the mound and changing the size of the bases. The game has been the same for well over 100 years. Why are you messing with it? I really can't stand Manfred. I think he's worse than Goodell. The NFL changes all the time and always has. The problem with Goddell is he's an arrogant prick, but people have already tinkered with the rules in the NFL to generate more offense. Baseabll is different. It's the same game for over 100 yers and part of the appeal is the ability to compare eras via statistics. You want to eliminate mound visits? I don't like it, but I can live with it. You want to add robots to calls balls and strikes? Also not a fan but there is no disputing how many bad calls there are by umpires and this is probably inevitable. But, removing pitching situations by forcing a reliever to face at least 3 batters or moving the mound back is just absolutely ridiculous. You are not gaining more fans by doing that but you are pissing off the ones you have. Stupidity like that is only going to hasten the demise of baseball.

I really, really hate Manfred.
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:45 am

Moving the mound back might be the dumbest rule change ever proposed in the History of Sports.

Pitchers today are not facing a 170-lb center fielder, a 160-lb SS and a 150-lb second-baseman at the bottom of the order. Everyone weighs 200+ lbs and will murder your fastball if you don't throw it as hard as you can. MIckey Friggin Mantle was smaller than the current Yankees SS. WAY smaller. That's why baseball went from 4 to 5-man rotations and why no one pitches complete games. They don't want starting pitchers to pace themselves. They want them to throw as hard as they can for 6 innings and then take a seat.

And some genius decided to maybe make their job harder? How much crack cocaine does one have to smoke to come up with that?
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:10 pm

They already made their job harder. I don't think it's a conidence that they changed the ball - again - and all these ace pitchers are struggling. I think the changes they made really screwed them. And the teams. And, apparently no one was consulted.

As for moving the mound back and making the bases bigger - what is the discussion here like?

Manfred: how can we get the younger generation into baseball so we have longevity
Team of Syncophants: how about we fundamentally change the game so their fathers' can't relate to it anymore and their interest wanes. Kids love that!
Manfred: Brilliant! Let's do that.

:roll:

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:51 pm

I'm already concerned about not relating. This feast-or-famine (as you put it) approach is a profound change from the baseball I grew up with. In the 1960s, MLB teams averaged around 8.5 hits a game and 5.5 Ks a game. And the really good teams did better than average, often getting nearly twice as many hits as Ks over the course of a season. Last year, the MLB team average was 8.3 hits a game and 8.8 Ks a game. I was a baseball stat fanatic as a child. If you had told me back then that the Yankees would some day win 100 games while having more Ks than hits, I would have said you were completely out of your mind. But that happened last year.

I don't like this trend at all. I'd rather see them move the fences back than the mound.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:45 pm

There was a commercial in the 90s where Greg Maddux said "chicks dig the long ball". I guess MLB thinks paying customers do too.

What's really odd is the value of pure sluggers has plummeted the past few years.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:02 pm

I was at the local Triple-A club game a week or so ago but haven’t been to an MLB game I years. The minors added a pitch clock a few years ago which is nice and keeps the game moving. I haven’t noticed on on the big league games on tv, so I do t know if that has happened yet. Aside from the balls and strikes argument that I don’t want to get into, the rules regarding mound visits and pitchers make sense as they have to do with pace of the game, in my opinion. As for moving the rubber... First, what’s the point? And, second, why on for the second half of the season?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:28 pm

There was a commercial in the 90s where Greg Maddux said "chicks dig the long ball". I guess MLB thinks paying customers do too.

I suppose that, as with the NFL. it's ultimately the casual fan that's going to dictate the style of play. They absolutely dictate the MLB game-day experience. God forbid there should be quiet between innings so I can discuss the game. Bring on the ear-splitting music and Kiss-Cam so no one gets bored. Pro leagues probably figure that the hardcore fan is going to tune in no matter what product they put on the field. So there's little reason to accommodate them.

PS - And get off my lawn.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:38 pm

Pro leagues probably figure that the hardcore fan is going to tune in no matter what product they put on the field.

I think that's true up until the point that the product on the field becomes unrecognizable. The reality is that kiss cams and sing-alongs don't change the game. But, start moving the mound and mess with other things that change the game itself and you may see the loyal fans walk away. Maybe there are enough casual fans out there who don't care, and they figure those people will go to the games just for the experience. But, I think most of the money comes from TV revenues and people who come just to sing along and have a beer aren't tuning in much on TV. It's people like us who are watching on TV. And, if we stop, I think they are in trouble.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:44 pm

I think most of the money comes from TV revenues

I don't know, but this article indicates that the majority of MLB revenue doesn't come from ticket sales. In fact, the percentage of total MLB revenue due to ticket sales has been steadily decreasing for years (down to 30% of total revenue in 2017). So obviously things like national TV contracts, sponsorships, etc. are bringing in huge money.

Probably explains why a team can suck and draw poorly and still make a buck.
Fire Alex Cora