2019 Baseball Season

psu_dad

Re: 2019 Baseball Season

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:53 am

"If Frazier's not happy about it he can come see me. I'll put a dent in his skull." -- Jake Arietta

Dude. Chill. That's just the 'roids talking.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:58 pm

The Phillies have been throwing at Mets almost every series (the last series in Philly 2 weeks ago was the exception). The Mets are way, way overdue to retaliate. I thought they should have gone with an "opener" for today's game and had him plunk Harper in the first. If he didn't get tossed for it, then they should have had him plunk Hoskins too. Just keep hitting their hitters until the message gets sent that throwing at the Mets best young players - and Todd Frazier - isn't acceptable. Put someone on the mound who can throw in the high 90s and aim it for the middle of Harpers chest. Actually, they should do that anyway, just because he's a douchebag.
Is it football season yet?

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:14 pm

Blue&White wrote:The Phillies have been throwing at Mets almost every series (the last series in Philly 2 weeks ago was the exception). The Mets are way, way overdue to retaliate. I thought they should have gone with an "opener" for today's game and had him plunk Harper in the first. If he didn't get tossed for it, then they should have had him plunk Hoskins too. Just keep hitting their hitters until the message gets sent that throwing at the Mets best young players - and Todd Frazier - isn't acceptable. Put someone on the mound who can throw in the high 90s and aim it for the middle of Harpers chest. Actually, they should do that anyway, just because he's a douchebag.

Soooo . . . in unrelated news, the Phils beat the Mets.

But yeah, unrelated.

Sorry BDub, had to poke the bear.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:59 am

The Mets season was over long before that series strated. The Mets could have swept the Phillies and it wouldn't change the fact that their toast. I'm annoyed with how crappy they have been but I'm not really bothered they lost another series. I expect it already.

But, the Mets have played the Phillies 13 times this year and Phillies pitchers have have hit Mets batters 12 times. It's time to start sending some messages. And, the message should be first a fast ball at Harpers face and then a fastball at Hoskins face. And then, when the fight breaks out, come out of the club house with bats and start swinging those. Treat Arriata's head like Gallagher treats a watermelon.

Hey, it's all ok because violence in baseball is "old school" and the Phillies just need to man up and be tougher. Especially if they want to keep throwing at the other team.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:37 pm

I was today years old when I found out that the Home Run Derby originated in 1985 and was 34 years old now. I had no idea it went back that far. Apparently it wasn't televised at all until sometime in the 1990s.

Anyone planning to watch tonight? I actually wanted to only to watch Mets rookie Pete Alonso, but I wil not be home. I have to pick up my wife at the airport. I guess I'll read all about it tomorrow.

In other news - I am glad it's the All Star break. I needed my own baseball break. The freaking Mets are killing me and I need a reason not to keep tuning in. Having nothing to tune into makes it easy.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:27 pm

I may watch, depending on what else is on that the wife might want to see. My cousin lives in Cleveland and has tickets tonight and tomorrow so, while very unlikely, I may get to see him in the outfield stands.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:44 pm

The NY media is reporting that the Red Sox are interested in acquiring Zach Wheeler. Hopefully, this is as reliable as the rumor that the Patriots were interested in acquiring Odell Beckham.

That said, this is the only sort of move the Red Sox are likely to make. Wheeler doesn't make big money and the Red Sox owner has made it pretty clear that he's not anxious to spend more money. He thinks they're spending enough money (he's not wrong) and that the players have to play up to their salaries.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:49 pm

Wheeler is owed like $3M and then he's a free agent. Depending on what the Mets are asking, he could be a good "get" for a team looking at a post season run. He's easily in the top 5 of pitchers potentially available but he's not as big a name as Madison Bumgarner, or even Mike Minor. The Blue Jays have a couple of guys who I think will be very costly. Wheeler has flown more under the radar than some of the others and the Mets may be willing to let him go for less than some of the other names that are floating around.

I don't love him him in Fenway, though. He is a pretty solid and reliable pitcher, but he is prone to that long ball, usually before he settles down. I can see a lot of balls popping over the Monster with him on the mound. If he can control that, he can be really solid. His 2nd half last year was one of the best in the majors. One of the few pitchers with better numbers post all-star break last year was deGrom. If he can do close to that again, he's worth dealing for.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:54 am

And, Pete Alonso wins the home run derby. This is the most important event of the season - way more important than the playoffs or world series or any of the end of season awards - so I'm declaring this season a victory and moving to football.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:05 am

And no, I'm not watching the game. I loved it as a kid when it was the only opportunity (other than the WS) to see the stars from the NL. But that incentive is obviously long gone.
Fire Alex Cora