2019 Baseball Season

psu_dad

Re: 2019 Baseball Season

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:02 pm

Perhaps you should start an I Hate Football thread.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:44 pm

Too early. It's still I hate baseball season.

I seriously can't figure out what the Mets are doing. They can't seriously be trying to get to the wildcard. And, holding onto Wheeler when he's a free agent after the season and not getting anything for him is ridiculous. Even if they didn't have a great offer, my guess is they could have gotten something. Anything is better than letting him just walk. My guess is they are going to offer him a Qualified Offer and then use the experiences of Keuchel and Kimbrel to try to browbeat him into taking a low ball 2 or 3 year deal so he's not waiting until June for a chance to play. I guess that's a possible strategy here. I hope it's the strategy because, otherwise ... what the f*ck?
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:14 am

I seriously can't figure out what the Mets are doing.

At least I have the consolation of knowing what the Red Sox are doing,

They did nothing at the trade deadline because they're "punting" on the season without actually saying so. They have nerds who crunch numbers and I'm sure they've come to the same conclusion I have. Teams that allow an average of over 5 runs a game don't make serious playoff runs. Ever. The only reason the Red Sox don't have a losing record is because they lead all of MLB in runs scored. But awful across-the-board pitching eventually (and inevitably) kills you and can't be fixed by one magic trade.

If anything, they probably should have been "sellers" at the deadline and not "buyers". But they would have been crucified by the local media (AKA the Legion of Knuckleheads) for that, so they just punted.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:54 am

I saw a comment this week that the Red Sox save % is actually lower than the Mets. That may be a recent thing as the Mets bullpen has been dramatically better since the AS break.

As for the Red Sox, I don't follow them enough to know where the bleeding is from. If it's your bullpen, they could have made trades that could alleviate a lot of that. But, if it's the rotation - and my sense is that's a lot of it - yeah, that's a lot harder to fix with a few trades. You can't just easily trade for a new rotation. The Mets problem has been the bullpen. And, while it's been better the last 4 weeks, Familia and Diaz are still not looking like you hoped they would look when they were traded for and signed. They don't like a tandem you want to rely in October. And, the Mets did not do a single thing to shore up that pen. So, even if they could make up the ground to grab a wildcard spot, which is mathematically plausible, I don't see them getting past the 1 and done wild card game. And, even that's a crap shoot.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:21 am

The entire pitching staff has been bad for the Red Sox.

Among their top three starters, Price is havng a mediocre year, Porcello is having a bad year and Sale's year has been a complete disaster, Their 4th starter (Evoldi) missed most of the season with an injury, They started off the season with poor pitching and never got it turned around. In fact, it's actually gotten worse in recent weeks.

Barring Divine Intervention, their season is over for all practical purposes. Diaz wasn't going to change that.

-----------------------------

When I get time, I'll have to look into whether a team (in the modern playoff era) has ever led MLB in scoring and missed the playoffs.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:31 am

Well, that's not a problem that is solved with a trade. Oh well. Enjoy football season

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:02 am

I could help the Red Sox. I throw a wiffle-ball slider that is totally un-hittable. And I throw it for strikes. I've asked the Red Sox multiple times to petition the league to let me use a wiffle-ball in games, but they never return my emails.

Jerks.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:59 am

How cool is this? A's sign guy who hit 96 mph during in-stadium pitch-speed challenge

I suspect this kid is pretty raw in terms of his development. He didn't pitch for 6 years and not at all in highschool. So, his arm should be pretty fresh. I'm not sure where he's pitching now, I suspect some independent league, but he's going to need a lot of work to turn him into a major league pitcher. But, with a 96 mph fastball, he's got a solid base.

If they can teach him a change up and develop his breaking ball, he could be coming in as a reliever in the next few years. Wouldn't shock me.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:17 am

Jimmy Dugan: Why don't you get an organ grinder? I could do a little dance.
Walter Harvey: If your knees are up to it, go ahead.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:01 am

That could have made him cry. And, there is no crying baseball.