2019 Baseball Season

Blue&White

Re: 2019 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:04 am

Just for dad

The Wild Card is not incentivizing teams to improve themselves

I suggest people read to the end of that article because it makes an interesting point about why teams are not going for it.

Btw, the Mets are the exception that proves the rule. They made a modest improvement and didn't sell anyone off, including guys who had some value in the trade market. Their current chances of making the post season are up to like 21%. Better than the ~3% at the AS break, but still.

What's really funny is that if they do get that 2nd wild card, their % chances of winning the World Series are higher than their chances of maknig the playoffs were at the trade deadline. And, their rotation is good enough that they can win a bunch of short series against good teams. I wouldn't put money on that, or even on them making the post season, but you never know.
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:41 am

That writer cherry picks the 2014 WS to make the (false) point that the new WC format doesn't disadvantage the WC teams. I've crunched all the numbers rather than cherry-picking them and It's pretty clear that the new format disadvantages the WC teams. Not to mention that common sense would tell you this without number crunching. Under the old system, the WC team was treated as "equal" to the division winners and started the post-season on equal terms. Now, they have to burn their Ace in a one-game playoff. If they win, they start their first series at a disadvantage.

I've hated this new format since Day One.

-------------------------
PS - At at presser the other day, the Red Sox GM made it pretty clear that they probably would have made a move if they were playing well and fighting for a division. But the prospect of maybe getting a WC slot wasn't sufficient incentive.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:12 pm

I've crunched all the numbers rather than cherry-picking them and It's pretty clear that the new format disadvantages the WC teams.

I think it's a matter of perspective.

Prior to 1969, you had a 162 (and before that a 154) winner-take-all playoff run. The 68 Orioles won 91 games and their season was pretty much over on Labor Day. In fact, the entire AL's season was over by then.

Starting in 1969 but prior to 1995 (would have been 1994 but for the strike) you had 2 divisions. The 1993 Giants won 103 games and played zero post season games.

The problem is for 20 years they had the 1 wild card team and then they added that 2nd team a few years ago. For the 2nd team, this is a great deal - it gives them an opportunity to make the playoffs. For the 1st wildcard team, it sucks balls because they were better off prior.

There was a lot of noise about the 2015 wildcard. The 98 win Pirates lost the run off to the 97 win Cubs. And, 90 win Mets and 92 Dodgers went on to the NLCS games. The Pirates maybe had a legitimate complaint but the Cubs absolutely did not. They were 3rd in their division. At no other point in history did they get a sniff of the post season. And, even the Pirates were somewhat lucky to be there. 22 years earlier they were SOL.

I don't love the 2nd wild card/one-game run off format, but I don't hate it either. It keeps teams in the running. And, right now, it's the Mets only real hope.

Btw, I thought the real point to take from that article was the one about it makes more financial sense to have a lower payroll and fewer wins and who cares if people come to the ballpark because TV is where the money is at. That's the real problem here - winning is not the primary motivator anymore.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:53 am

The good news is that I don't hate baseball any more. I've mentally "checked out" on the season. I was originally annoyed that my nephew's wedding conflicted with Red Sox series in Philadelphia. What a colossal waste of $$$ that would have been.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:12 pm

Better luck next year. Mad.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:53 pm

Thanks. I guess. Is it still baseball season?
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:02 pm

No
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:53 pm

And the Mets are a game over .500. They've won like 14 of their last 15 and the team ERA since the break is barely 3. That's the pitching I expected when the season started.

Unbelievable as it seems, they actually are in the hunt for a postseason spot.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:07 pm

Oh, and Cano is likely done for the year with a torn hamstring. The sad part is it probably won't impact his range at all.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:41 am

So, there seems to be, for reasons I can't grasp, some consternation about how the Mets can replace Cano for the remainder of the season. His WAR was 0.00. He was literally at replacement value. The answer to "how can they replace him?" Is "easily",