2019 Baseball Season

psu_dad

Re: 2019 Baseball Season

Postby psu_dad » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:44 am

Everyone here (but you) hates baseball. Get with the program.
Fire Alex Cora

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Well, the LLWS is heating up now. ESPN is carrying the US regionals and the big party starts Aug 15. You can’t hate kids playing baseball!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:30 am

Would you rather your team collapse early, surge after the All Star Break, get your hopes up only to dash them into the rocks by coming up just short?

Or, do you prefer your team look like they can win it through the first half the season, fill you with false hope and then start to wilt and eventually die down the stretch?

More simply put: would you rather be a Mets fan or a Phillies fan?
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:00 pm

I'd rather my team won the WS. Nothing else matters much.

The Phillies and Mets are just playoff fodder. I can't believe how bad the NL is this year. If the Dodgers don't win the pennant (again), there should be an investigation.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:06 pm

The Phillies and Mets are just playoff fodder.

Not yet they aren't.

What the Mets are currently doing is not sustainable but their pitching has looked like what I expected when the season started. If they can continue to do close to that, they can win and beat the Dodgers. The reality is that they have been beating up on the worst teams in the NL. They play the Nationals this weekend and then the Braves. I am tempering my excitement about their recent surge until I see how those two series go.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 pm

If my excitement were any more "tempered", I'd be comatose.

PS - The word among the local sports media knuckleheads is that the Red Sox GM (Dave Dombrowski) is going to get his walking papers.
Fire Alex Cora

Shane

Postby Shane » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:20 pm

Since my Buccos have mailed it in the second half I don’t have a baseball point to make. I did want to thank Blue & White for taking out the spammers last night. I logged in at one point and saw like 17 new threads. I thought I had time traveled to 2000 when the site was humming. I then noticed it looked like it was all spammers except one thread.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:29 pm

It was over 40 threads. 3 new accounts were generating 20 new spam posts each. I banned the 3rd guy before he hit that 20 mark. Luckily, they only used 3 account names. When that happens usually the spammers creates like a dozen new handles and posts 2 or 3 threads with each. It takes forever to make sure I banned everyone before I can clear the board. But, this wans't too bad. I really hate these spammers though.

dad - didn't the Red Sox just win everything last year? And, it's not like the Red Sox are tanking. They are 4 games over .500. Seems a bit excessive to fire the GM after this season.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:10 pm

Dombrowski's reputation is that he's very good at improving your team in the short-term, but he does this by trading prospects for established players and he's not good at replacing the prospects. Drafting and player development is not his strength. He had some success at Detroit (2 WS appearances, no rings) but the farm system was a mess when he left. The Red Sox farm system is now heading in that direction. It's currently considered one of the weakest in baseball.

This team has a very large payroll and is grossly under-achieving. The Chris Sale extension is looking like a potential disaster and the word is that Dombrowski talked the owner into it. Like I said before, if someone were to throw away $145M of my money, I would probably have to fire him.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:22 pm

The Chris Sale extension is looking like a potential disaster and the word is that Dombrowski talked the owner into it.

In 2018 Sale started 27 games, won 12 and had an ERA of 2.11 with 237 Ks against only 34 BB. He gave up a total of 11 home runs. He only pitched 158 innings and I guess he was out for some period of time. But, that's still a good season and he helped the Red Sox win the World Series

In 2017 Sale started 32 games, won 17, had an ERA of 2.90 in 214 innings, with 308 Ks against 43 BB. And, he gave up 24 HRs.

Chris sale has been amazing for the Boston Red Sox since the day they acquired him up until this season. Dombrowski may have talked ownership into signing Sale to that contract but I doubt he was talking all that long. There was no reason to expect that Sale was suddenly going to turn into a pumpkin. And, he may still bounce back after this year. But, nothing in his performance the past 2 years says "warning! don't extend". Not sure how you can blame the GM for that.

You want to see an example of smooth talking, go find a recording of Brodie Van Wagenen talking the Wilpons into taking on the Robinson Cano contract. Now, that's selling iceboxes to Eskimos.