2019 Baseball Season

psu_dad

Re: 2019 Baseball Season

Postby psu_dad » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:25 pm

There was no reason to expect that Sale was suddenly going to turn into a pumpkin.

Actually, there was some. That's why the owner needed convincing. After a phenomenal 2/3 of a season in 2017, he faded badly down the stretch. In 2018, he was used sparingly down the stretch to avoid that happening again. Plus the Yankees have owned him for the most part. If you can't beat the Yankees, your value to the Red Sox is limited.

Don't get me wrong. He has been superb at times. But there was always something about his stamina that made you a little uneasy. And given how awful he's been this year and how his velocity is off, I wouldn't be shocked if he has TJ surgery in the near future.

-----------------------

PS - His career post-season numbers are meh (1-2 with an ERA of 5.76). I don't think he "chokes". I just think he's worn out by October.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:28 pm

The problem with looking at post season numbers is it's such a small sample it's tough to take anything meaningful from them. Is it because he was tired? Is it because he's bad in the cold? Or, is it such a small sample size that it just happened and who knows why?

You run into a similar problem in assessing relief pitchers. From year to year you can see large swings in the performance of a given relief pitcher and people read all sorts of things into them. But, I think the real truth is you are generally looking at small sample sizes. Mets closer Edwin Diaz is a good example. In 2018 he looked fantastic. But, it's 73 innings. Starting pitchers will go double that.

Something isn't right about Sale this year but a lot of pitchers have seen the ball fly on them. So, it could be the ball as much as anything. But, beware the small sample size.
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:06 pm

Post-season aside, he is clearly not the same pitcher late in the season as he is early in the season His career record for Apr-May-June is 63-30. For Jul-Aug-Sep it's 45-43. And by the time this season is over, that Jul-Aug-Sep record may very well be under .500

He's a very good pitcher. But I don't think he's worth $29M per. And he's got five years of $29M per starting next year.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:54 am

People will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.

I bet they get more people to watch baseball in Iowa than they do in London. This is a good marketing idea. I think putting games in the UK, however, is just silly.

And now we pause while psu_dad trashes another iconic baseball movie.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:21 am

You're acting like it's my fault that Bull Durham sucks. It's not.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:35 am

Jake Arrieta, like the Phillies post season chances, is done for the season. Seems he's been pitching with a bone spur all season and is going to get it taken care of.

That's a shame.

Meanwhile, the Mets have won like 18 of their last 20 games or something close to that, and have had two 7-game win streaks. Heading to Atlanta for a 3 game series and a chance to make up some ground not only in the hunt for a wildcard spot but even a chance to take that division. The Braves score a ton of runs - 2nd most in the NL (one behind the Dodgers) - but their pitching has been bad.

Mets pitching has settled in, including - for the most part - their bullpen. Their starting rotation is fomidble and they ahve the potential to go deep in the post season if they make it with that group. Especially if they go with a 4 man rotation and put Matz in the pen. The pen will continue to be their achillies heel, though.

Whatever, I'm just glad to be watching meaningful games in mid-August. 30 days ago I thought the season was over. But, there is still hope.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:29 am

I watched the Mets come from behind win over the Nationals Friday evening and the guys on ESPN radio were talking about them on my drive to work. The guest said that they have to confidence and momentum throughout the team right now which could (should?) translate into more prosperity. They need to take early leads and get more innings from the starters, giving the guys in the pen a break. I always thaoight that was common knowledge...

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:51 am

If there was any lingering doubt about the cause of the unprecedented power surge across Major League Baseball, the highest level of the minor leagues is erasing it. This season, the two Triple-A leagues switched to the same baseball used in the majors, rather than a cheaper ball used elsewhere in the minors. The results have been stunning. Triple-A teams are on pace to hit more than 2,000 additional home runs from last year ... a ridiculous increase of about 60%. In other words, the debate over why so many home runs are being hit is over. It’s not launch angle. It’s not increased pitcher velocity. It isn’t the bats. It’s the ball. -- WSJ
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:22 pm

I said that weeks ago. Everyone said that weeks ago. Except Rob Manfred who insists that nothing was done. Well, that's not accurate - he insists that nothing was "intentionally" done, which I guess is a bit of a concession that something is amiss.

At this point, I don't know what they do about it. But, I did see back in July that they are looking at the ball specifications and I expect they will try to "fix" the problem for 2020. I hope so, cause this is nuts.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:37 pm

And I'm not buying Manfred's story that it's just about the seams being more streamlined, thus reducing drag. The ball is flying off the bat like it was launched by a bazooka.
Fire Alex Cora