Dog name recommendations

ShoreLion

Re: Dog name recommendations

Postby ShoreLion » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:34 pm

Yes, I strongly encourage anyone who is looking for a dog to adopt an older one. Particularly if you have a busy house or are an older person who isn't as active as a puppy can be. That's not fair to you or the puppy. Sure, getting an older dog generally leads to some heartbreak sooner but I always took great solace in ensuring that the dog's life was as fantastic as it possibly could be for as long as you could do it. I've literally been through almost every disease and malady with dogs and while it was never pleasant I don't regret it for a second. By my quick recollection I've been there at the end for 13 dogs and 3 cats. It's awful, it's gut wrenching but I truly believe it is the most loving thing you can do for your pet. As hard as it is I couldn't bear the thought of one of my animals being alone when the time comes.

A long time ago someone relayed to me an old saying that I've always taken to heart: "You can't save every dog in the world, but you can change the world for one dog." That's what I always sought to do when adopting one.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:48 pm

By my quick recollection I've been there at the end for 13 dogs and 3 cats. It's awful, it's gut wrenching but I truly believe it is the most loving thing you can do for your pet. As hard as it is I couldn't bear the thought of one of my animals being alone when the time comes.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

I still well up thinking about when I had to take my Blue to be put to sleep. It was the worst thing I have ever dealt with in my life. Worse than saying goodbye to all my grandparents, and I loved all of them. This was just more personal to me for some reason. I do not look forward to getting to that point with my current dogs. It's going to crush me. But, it won't stop me from rescuing another one and saving another life. But, I don't know I can go through it 13 times - and counting I suppose. You do the state of Florida proud, Shore.

Btw, your saying is the mantra of every dog resuce out there. Everyone repeats it. You have to and believe it or it's overwhelming. There are so many dogs in shelters or abused or ... whatever. If you think of the enormity of the problem it paralyzes you, similar to most big problems I guess.
Baseball season!!!!

Shane

Postby Shane » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:02 pm

I still well up when thinking about putting my dog down. We use the same vet for our current dogs, and I cringe every time they want to put us in the same room they put him down. Still one of the worst days of my life, can't imagine doing it 13 times.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:13 pm

So, update - the puppy in question was not adopted as of last weekend. My family and I decided that if he wasn't adopted by last weekend it was The Universe telling us to keep him. The Universe has spoken and we now have a 3rd dog.

The name we all settled on was "Archer".
Baseball season!!!!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:09 pm

For all you have done for foster pets I'd would say the name that dog "earned" is Lucky. Even if he misbehaves and you shout out "Damn Lucky!" the phrase works on two levels.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:20 pm

My neighbor's last dog was named "Lucky" (and she was anything but). We are very close with that neighbor so I wouldn't use that name. I wanted to name him "Darwin" but my son once had a pet rat named Darwin so that's out too.

Basically, I lost the naming battle. I was reminded that I named 2 of the 3 family dogs we've had and I didn't get to name this one. My kids named the 3rd dog so this one was my wife's choice. The rest of us just got veto power if we really didn't like it. And, while the boys and I didn't love the name Archer, none of us jumped up to object either. So, Archer it is.

As for the fostering comment, with this adoption we are officially retired from the dog rescue busines. Our lifestyle has changed over the past 5 years, and my oldest is going away to college soon, and he was a big part of our ability to take care of these dogs. We are going to continue to raise money for the rescue and we will help out as we can, but I think we've fostered our last dog.

We were trying to add it all up this weekend - over 5 years we've probably had around 130 dogs in and out of our house. Some for as short as a few hours, some for a few months. But, there have been a lot of dogs through my house. And, for the most part it's been great and we have gotten a lot of out of it. I've had countless people show up at dog events and tell me how selfless my family and I are, but that's not true at all. If we didn't get something out of it we wouldn't do it. It had nothing to do with being selfless and I never thought of it in those terms. We volunteered to do it because we found satisfaction in it and becuase it helped us teach our kids about responsibility and, hopefully, gave them more empathy. But, we always had a certain amount of selfish motivations for it. I never understood why people feel the need to ascribe something to me that I never claimed. I've got a few theories on it, but not worth getting into here.

Anyway, while I'm out of the dog fostering business, I still have connections. So, if you want a dog, I can get you a dog. Believe me, dudes, there are ways. I can get you a dog by 3 PM with nail polish (although why anyone would put nail polish on a dog is a mystery to me).
Baseball season!!!!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:18 pm

Good for you! Archer is a good name, even if you were not allowed real input. A friend of mine drives for dog rescues, and my sister in law has taken part in rescues as well. The wife and I have provided what the call forever homes for three discs thus far and still have one. She wants a new one every time she sees a puppy or dog show on tv, but are in a similar boat being empty nesters ( if having the youngest in college counts), and I am not sure how the current center of the universe would deal with an addition. He barks at everything that goes down the street so one in the house is a big question mark.

It takes a special person to do what you have done. But, as you said, you do get something out of it. If only more people understood this, your total count might not have been a large.