2019 NFL Season

Blue&White

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:11 pm

I read mixed things about the Duke kid. No real opinion on him. Ask me in 3 years.
Baseball season!!!!

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:38 pm

I wasn't sold on Haskins either. They keep saying he is a great pocket passer but I didn't really see that. It is easy to throw the ball to wide open receivers when you have a fantastic running game and offensive line- see Detmer, Klingler, Ware, and Griffin. Those dudes were on crazy offensive teams that put up points because they were just better than everyone else. This is one thing that I always look at on an athlete and I can say thing because I have a slight double chin and am not an athlete, but the chin says a lot. This was one huge reason I was never sold on the Sixers Markelle Fultz. Double chin means that you aren't working hard in the weight room IMO. I don't lift weights :D

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:59 pm

I'm thrilled they didn't take Haskins. That kid has "bust" written all over him.
Baseball season!!!!

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:01 pm

agree which is why I wanted them to take Haskins. But now, he will definitely be a bust in Washington! Yes, the Eagles will reign supreme for a few years. Dallas is Dallas so I am not too worried about them.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:41 am

As for Daniel Jones, I saw him play BC a couple of times and he seemed to be a good college QB, but I never imagined him being the 6th pick in the draft. Apparently there were rumors of other teams being interested in him. Perhaps the Giants thought he may not be there at 17. Or perhaps Gettleman is a doofus. Who knows.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:30 am

Those two options are not mutually exclusive.

I have no idea if this kid Jones is going to pan out or not, but the more I think about it the more I thin this was a bad move. You have the 6th pick in the draft and you blow it on a kid who you have no intention of putting on the field this year. The odds were he was going to be there at 17 and, even if he wasn't, are you really that married to the kid? And, if you are committed to Eli this year no matter what (and it sounds like they are), then you can take a QB next year when there is a better crop expected and more of them. Whether you believe in this kid or not, it seemed an odd choice.

From what I read about Jones, he fits the Eli and Payton Manning QB style and is actually close to the Manning via his college coach. Everything I read last night says he has the makings of solid stand-in-the-pocked and get rid of the ball type of QB, which is really what the Giants need with their stye of play. If he's accurate, and has protection, he should be fine. But, to take that player at 6 is just boggling to me.

Back to the Cardinals - the more I think about this the more I disagree with Grower. The Cardinals best chance to trade Rosen was prior to the draft. Now everyone who is interested in a first round QB has taken a QB in the first round, except maybe the Dolphins. So, there is one team out there to trade with. That's not a great market for trading your QB. The idea that you are going to wait around and hope someone goes down for the year because the Eagles were able to once get a good deal on an average QB is really a bad strategy. The math says that the most valuable point for trading Rosen was before you drafted another QB and the least valuable point was after the first round. The Cardinals blew it. And, the idea that they are going to keep Rosen around so he can stew and be a lockeroom cancer is also riciculous. This was a bad move by Arizona. I don't see how it can be spun any other way.
Baseball season!!!!

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 am

Here are some teams that could use Rosen- Patriots, San Diego, Miami (I have no clue how they feel about Tua and the kid form Oregon who will come out next year), and Cincinnati. I don't know if Rosen is ready yet but you have him under contract for the next 4 years at a cheap salary

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:16 am

And how much do you suppose a team is willing to offer for a QB they plan to stash for 4 years?

You're looking at this the complete wrong way. Here is my math: prior the Cardinals picking to drafting Murray the potential market for a former 1st round pick QB is 31 teams. Obviously not all those teams are going to have an interest, but that is your potential market. And, prior to taking Murray, the Cardinals hold all the leaverage because what they do next is an unknown. So, the Cardinals proposition to any potential trade partner is they can give them a QB who a year ago was considered a top QB prospect if the offer is good enough - and if not they may just hold on to him. That could be an attractive offer. Since the Cardinals know they are going to take Murray regardless, they may figure that if they can get a 2nd round pick for Rosen that's a good deal. But, that only works when their intentions are not 100% established.

At the point that the Cardinals take Murray, their leverage goes down considerably. They clearly favor Murray over Rosen and Rosen is a wasted asset to the Cardinals. Once they take Murray, everyone knows he has to be moved or just sit on the bench. So, in theory, the Cardinals should be willing to take a lot less to get rid of him. Anything they can get for him once they draft Murray is a bonus. And, their best bet is to maximize the competitive market. So, the minute they take that pick they really need to be on the phones trying to trade Rosen. Their total potential market is still 31 teams, but with each 1st round pick, their market shrinks and the competition between each team shrinks. It doesn't matter if the next drafting team was going to take a QB or not - until that team picks it's an unknown if they would take Rosen.

The Cardinals are now in a position where all 31 other teams have drafted, and a few of them took QBs. So, their market for trading him is either a team that ends up with a need due to a future injury or a team that is willing to take him off their hands for future service. The value of Rosen to a team that has a need due to injury is pretty high - but that scenario may never come up. The value of Rosen to a team that may want to stash him away for the future is pretty low, and the offer is going to be commiserate with that.

They screwed up. They either hold him and hope someone has a need due to injury, or they sell low. I don't see how you can possibly defend that move.
Baseball season!!!!

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:37 pm

If I am an Arizona exec I would pay a person to extort some of the starting QB's or maybe we can Nancy Kerrigan them. Lets think outside the bun!

My point is that Rosen will be paid $7 million over the next 4 years- that is $7 million dollars over 4 years for a QB starting QB who could be a franchise QB. I would trade a possible 1st round pick for that. Especially if I was a late round team like the Patriots. Or you just hold him and let the 2 guys fight it out for a few years and invest cap money in the rest of the team

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:47 pm

https://overthecap.com/positional-spending/
Great website to see how much you team is spending per position!