2019 NFL Season

Blue&White

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Postby Blue&White » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:33 pm

Trace drafted by the Ravens in the 6th round. He's going to sit behind Lamar Jackson but you have to wonder if the Ravens have some offensive gimmicks in mind for him.

I'm glad he's getting a shot in the NFL, even if it's a back up. I thought he made a mistake when he refused to switch positions from QB. I don't know why but I have this vision of what his interviews with NFL teams were like when he told them he was going to be an NFL QB. I just hope his career plays out like the last few seconds of that scene.
Baseball season!!!!

Shane

Postby Shane » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:31 pm

I think he went to a great situation for him. Definitely it sold on Lamar Jackson as a viable starter. In all honesty, no idea if they have other QBs on the roster.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:24 pm

BW -

it seems you feel as most Giants fans do this morning. I'm happy to stand alone. LOL.

First, I would've picked Ed Oliver w/ the 6th pick, not Allen. I don't think Allen is going to be an impact player in the NFL. He'll be a support player, and probably have a decent career...Ed Oliver will be an impact player, I believe. Thus, I was disappointed that Getty passed on that opportunity.

That said: While the focus on the first round is understandable, I think Getty did a good job of drafting a class that will have an immediate impact. My favorite pick is Dexter Lawrence, but they got quality up and down the draft. I like the fact that he remade the entire secondary. I really like the kid who plays tackle from KY, also. Compelling story and those types of players tend toward over-achieving.

As for Jones: for perspective, some facts: Getty likes his 'good guys' so drafting Jones appealed. He was a walk on who earned a scholership, he was a tough competitor playing behind a line that was ranked the worst in the ACC last year. His receivers had more drops than Penn State. His RB's were pedestrian and he was the only guy drafted out of Duke this year. Literally a guy who carried the team on his back to multiple winning seasons.

While I don't agree w/ him at 6, I can live with it because I guarantee he will be starting next year. I truly believe this is the intent of Getty/Shurmer (i.e. the KC model). It wasn't a decision made in a vacuum - I believe there was a consensus among the offensive coaching staff that this was the way to go: that means Getty got Shurmer and Shula etc. feedback before the pick was made. And I believe they made it clear to Eli that there would be no more extensions...they are as eager to move on from the old regime as the Cardinals were to move on from Josh Rosen.

Every GM wants his legacy to be the guy who turned the franchise around. It seems the best way to do that is to clear out the old and bring in the new...Getty's following that model to a 'T'... For my part, I think it was long overdue, despite my regard for Eli.

My tuppence. Go Giants. We are! (can't wait for Penn State FB to start!).
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:11 pm

I don't understand you post. You start by saying you disagree and then say you would have taken Oliver with that 6th pick. So, if you would have taken someone other than Jones, then you don't disagree with me or the majority of Giants fans. You actually agree that it was a mistake. So, I am befuddled.

Secondly, I can't believe they were so married to Jones that there wasn't a Plan B QB. I just don't buy that. There were better players to take with that 6th pick. And, then to come out and tell your fanbase he may have to sit for 3 or 4 seasons was just throwing gasoline on the fire (for the record, I don't buy that for a minute and think he will end up getting thrown in at some point after game 10. The Giants are going to be bad again and the pressure to start Jones over Eli is going to build and build).

I have no real comment on the rest of the picks and think the NFL draft is really a massive crap shoot. There are many examples of "can't miss" draft picks that turn into busts once they hit the NFL. And, there are plenty of examples of late round picks who turn into superstars. So, who knows.

Btw, one of the Giants draft picks was shot last night. Sounds like he will be ok, but his friend is dead. Tragic.
Baseball season!!!!

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:20 am

If Jones has a career that mirror's Eli's, was it worth the 6? That's my point, we don't really know. It's not as sexy as some of the QB's picked last year, but of the bunch, I think the kid from Louisville had the biggest impact, and he did most of his damage rushing the ball.

And yes, sad about that kid and his friend.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:51 am

If they win a couple of Super Bowls with Jones I'll happily come back and say I was wrong. But, right now, I'm not impressed with Gettleman at all.
Baseball season!!!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:50 pm

One other thing - If Gettleman wants to survive as a GM in the NYC market he's going to have to learn to stop responding to the press and the nattering noobs of the internet. The fact that he's now explaning himself and issuing statements to defend his choices does not bode well for him. A guy in his position needs to always position his decisions as "who cares what you think, I know best!". Either he's right and he keeps his job or he's wrong and he's out. But, he's going to quickly sink if he feels the need to respond to criticism from the press and internet crowd.
Baseball season!!!!

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:00 pm

Come on guys- Getty saw Jones run some plays during the senior bowl and he was sold- all in on Jones! I loved hearing him say that. This pick might put the Giant back 4 years. So I am so happy Getty took Jones! By all means, Proceed!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:35 pm

If Gettleman wants to survive as a GM in the NYC market he's going to have to learn to stop responding to the press and the nattering noobs of the internet.

That's the same problem Belichick has. He's constantly trying to explain to the media what he's doing and why he's doing it. And some times he talks so much that he trips over his own explanations.

Mrs psu_dad: Really?
Me: No.
Fire Alex Cora

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:55 pm

Wentz just signed a 4 year 128 million contract! Good for him but when QBs make this kind of money it really hurts a teams ability to sign solid free agents. Wentz is the 4th highest paid QB! Umm, the Patriot win because Brady is not the highest paid QB in the league! But whatever, we will see what happens!