Heeeee's Baaaaaaak!

Shane

Re: Heeeee's Baaaaaaak!

Postby Shane » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:17 am

Carl, I am playing, and mostly at the course you helped to build. Side note, it's actually for sale right now and I'm trying to put together a group to purchase it. We are going thru the process right now and will let you know how it works out.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:23 am

Carl Spackler wrote:dad,

She loves to see me use my equipment . . .

I'm going to let that pass since you just found us again. :lol: :D

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:55 pm

Shane, good luck on the deal at old Grandview. Part of my heart will always be buried in the land there. So many hours spent there. Mrs. Spackler reminisced about going to the course with me in the evenings and working on the satellite irrigation boxes. She remembered my "hot wiring" them to make them work and how loud the pump house was and the expanded metal floor where the water swirled around under the your feet and the pumps running so loud you couldn't really talk in the house. I was surprised at what she remembered. The next course I managed was when our daughter was born and we used to grab a golf cart and drive around the course doing the same irrigation routine in the evenings after dinner plus watching the groundhogs having their dinner in the roughs. We also got together with Bob Eshelman last Nov. and had a wonderful time talking about the old days at Grandview. Bob is doing well at Clearfield Curwensvillw CC and is also consulting at Phillipsburg CC. He was one of my favorites along with Randy Fink on that crew. In our discussion I noted that I could have taken most of that crew and inserted them in the other courses I managed and had an instant, excellent staff. Grandview, after the construction was complete and the grow in was established was a far better course than many realized and I would have put it up against most courses in that region, public that is. I enjoyed that staff, many good men who had fun but worked their rears off for me.

Shore, you bad, you bad. Of course I did invite that, by choice.

Pitt grad....Yes the JD's do hold up but my old unit, a 445, had over 2600 hrs on the air cooled engine and was leaking hydraulic oil all over the place so before it shot a push rod or piston through the head and was not able to be traded we thought it best to trade up. Mrs. Spackler was not pleased with the front end loader cost but once I demonstrated its abilities (I dug out a stump just this morning) she was in full agreement. Plus we had a decent down payment and got the zero interest for 60 months on the remainder. Not everyone needs a sub compact tractor. The rule of thumb is two acres or more. It's hard to kill a deere.

Shane

Postby Shane » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Small world Carl, Bob Eshelman lives about 300 yards from me and was one of my high school basketball coaches

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:13 pm

Shane, I hired Bob within a few months of beginning the job at Grandview April of 1978. Bob was home from college and came out looking for work. If you ask him he has some great stories to tell you about the early days there. He and Jeff Fleming from Grampian on the back of a Cushman Truckster, two moons! I think the world of Bob and he has really progressed as a GCS over the years. I like to think I had a little to do with his success. I know he was a bball coach and other parents have told me of his good influence on their children. I think Randy Fink's daughter played for Bob at one point if I remember correctly. Yes it is a small world, particularly in my travels within the industry as I've made so many friends in many places. Sue and I were discussing Grandview the other day, her memory of my time there. I worked seven days a week, 12 plus hours a day that first summer and as she was working at the Clearfield Hospital on the evening shift we would literally not see each other for weeks on end. Sue would bring a batch of "gobs" to the crew at Grandview and she was their hero. Jeff Flemng called them gobblers. So many memories, almost all good ones. The views from #4, #6, #11, #12 tee, #14, etc. on the terraced fairways were amazing and the bear tracks in the bunkers at #2, #3, #7 were fun but a bit concerning too. They shot six black bears less than a half mile from the course one year.

i hope things work out for you and if there is anything I can do to assist you let me know. It's been a long time but I may recall something of worth.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:22 pm

Howdy, Carl! Welcome back.

:D
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Gobs, Carl....Gobs. Those poor schmoes who weren't fortunate enough to grow up in our little, isolated neck of the woods are saying to themselves right now....wtf is a gob? Well, if they don't know....it'll remain our little secret.

P.S. My first week on campus, I was jonesing for a gob, so I walked into a local corner store somewhere on Atherton, looked around for a gob and couldn't find them. So I asked the lady behind the counter if she could tell me where the gobs are located. She looked at my like I was nuts and said "what's a gob?". I didn't realize it was a local, western PA thing and no one outside of my insulated world knew of or cared about gobs. Guess that made me a goober.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:14 pm

In the big city, they're known as Whoopie Pies.

Many years ago, while living in Colorado, I asked a store clerk if they had coffee ice cream. He looked at me as if I had asked for cabbage ice cream. I didn't realize it, but back then coffee ice cream and coffee milk shakes were strictly a New England thing.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:42 am

dad, I always enjoy coffee ice cream and I don't consider myself a New Englander. My ancestors came from Switzerland/Germany to Philly, to Lancaster to Virginia but settled in the mountains of W. PA. Occasionally Mrs. Spackler will show up with some coffee ice cream as a treat. Love it.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:20 am

It's more widely available now than it once was. When I was a kid, I believe there were only two factories in the U.S, that made the concentrated coffee syrup used to make coffee ice ream, coffee milk shakes, etc. One was in MA and one was in RI. When I moved to CO in the 70s, no one there had ever heard of it.

I also remember a carbonated coffee soda that was available locally. Sounds odd, but with a scoop of vanilla ice cream added, it was terrific,

PS - My DIL's ancestors also came from Germany. That's why my grandchildren (Siegfried and Brunhilda) have blonde hair and blue eyes.
PPS - That's not their real names.