Random Thoughts Again

psu_dad

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:30 pm

Everyone's situation is different. My career is winding down, but at its peak, it was very consuming of my time. Fortunately, I was well-compensated and could afford to hire pros for major remodeling. Smaller projects like interior painting and minor repairs, I'm inclined to do myself. Other than mowing the lawn, I do all the yard work, also.

My old-school oak floors need refinishing. I'm not doing that. :lol:
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:49 pm

I worked with a roofing company (my older brother's) my first two years of college.

Never fell off a roof, but have fallen off of two ladders, unfortunately. 80# roll of roofing paper fell off the roof (long story) and struck me on top of my head as I was climbing the ladder, broke my C-5 vertebra, same as Christopher Reeve did. Dr's. say I should have died. While I'm not getting around great I'm pretty good for this side of the sod.

Mrs. Spackler (Carla) doesn't want me to climb ladders anymore, more like forbids.........can't blame her.

I'd leave roofing jobs to the pros in general unless you have a single story house with a gently sloping roof. My first roofing job was a three-story with a steeply sloping roof, a bit scary and an eye opener watching my brother run around on it like a cat. I ran around on it like a scared elephant. But I stuck with it and did so until I woke up in the hospital that fateful day not knowing what happened. No more roofing for Carl.

Wish I was able to do some work on the house as it needs it before we put it on the market in about six years or so and consider moving back to PA.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

tempe

Postby tempe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:55 am

that's incredible. Having a roll of felt fall on you - man!

The 4/12 roofs here are easy to climb around on. I think you could almost jump off with little consequence. I don't think I would shingle a two or three story house. I would work as a helper laying shingle maybe. When I was 13 until I moved at 18, one of my chores was getting the extension ladder out in the fall and carrying these massive wooden storm windows out of the basement and climbing the ladder and hanging them two stories up. I had to get on the the front and back porch, put the window on the roof, pull the ladder up, and get to the third story. I had to push them in front of me, angle them out far enough to catch the brackets, get out of the way, and then latch them. Then take them down in the spring. I think it was the scariest thing I have ever done. I never got used to it. I like a room with a view, but my one story is easy to work on. No basement or attics out here. No freeze line, barely a foundation.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:24 pm

If you have any trepidation of heights I don't think you ever totally get over it, at least I didn't but I did become much better accustomed to heights thus our family career in climbing state highpoints.

Dec. 30, 1973, the roofing paper fell about 10 feet when it hit to top of my head and then we all, the paper, me and the bundle of shingles I was carrying up the ladder fell another 10 feet down to land on a pile of plywood. I landed on the back of my head and left shoulder. I later learned that along with the broken neck I broke my collar bone but that was 30 years later in a chest X-ray when my doctor asked me about my broken collar bone and the only incident where it could have occurred was the roofing accident.

I fortunately lost all memory of the incident from 2 hrs. before it until "awaking" in the hospital 8 hours after the accident. Everyone though I was awake but I have no memory of that time period, probably for the best anyway. Waking up in a hospital bed, tied down with your mother and girl friend whispering to each other at the foot of your bed when you only remember being on a roof seconds ago is a very strange feeling. I knew something bad had to have happened but no one would tell me anything about it for weeks (I have a strange family). Over time I learned of the event but it was more traumatic mentally to others than to me as they all thought I was gone or at best headed to brain surgery in Johnstown (hey mad, that's your town). I didn't know that for weeks.

Six years later my girl friend now wife witnessed me trying to climb into my tree stand on the ridge above my home and fall over 10 feet onto my posterior. She was traumatized by that event on top of m previous fall to the point of forbidding me to touch a ladder again. Not my fault, a faulty nail in a board above the top of the ladder but that's another involved story. Poor Carla Spackler, married to the flying, falling guy.

Tempe I can fully grasp you fear at having to do that job. I is not natural to be put in places where you could easily injury yourself. Eventually you learn to deal with it and/or fall off over and over. lol, I think........
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:28 pm

I have a strange family

Don't fret. Everyone has a strange family.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:32 pm

My family is stranger than yours, na na na na na....

Carl Spackler

Toxic Masculinity Day celebrated and verified

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Carl Spackler

Things to get you Out There...

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:48 pm

https://gearjunkie.com/ten-fun-outdoor-adventure-activities

We participated in #1 for many years. It's a great way to see the nation and show it to your family. We completed 37 states and had a great adventure along the way.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:50 pm

Each of the 50 states has its own unique high point, from the 14,505-foot Mount Whitney in California to Delaware’s roadside Ebright Azimuth (442 feet)

Yet another reason to be embarassed for Delaware. 442 feet? It's like they are not even trying.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Lowest point in USA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall