Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:56 pm

If his Dad has any sense he drags that kid over to that house and makes him apologize to the girl and her parents. That will save him a lot of headaches in the future.

Funny enough, I told my wife yeterday that I may go over there after work with my son and apologize to the family again. I feel that bad about the whole thing. I really do.

As for the kids parents, we have never met them. For the majority of my sons' friends we have at least met the parents once. Not all of them, but most of them. But, my wife has taken this kid to the shore. He's slept over our house. You would think that his parents would have SOME interest in knowing who we are, but they don't seem to. So, we don't know anything about them. So, is the dad inclined to make him apologize? Is the dad inclined to give him a high 5 for shouting racial slurs out of a moving car? I have no idea. But, this kid isn't learning to insult people based on race from the group of kids he is friends with so he's picking it up somewhere else. Maybe an older sibling? Maybe mom and dad? Maybe ... somewhere else?

Don't know.
Is it baseball season yet?

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:07 am

Your son is the type of young man that most parents would want their children to hang with. The other kid...well, not so much. Hell, I don't know your son, and I'm proud of him. My older boy hung out with mostly good kids in high school with one exception....ole buddy Dave. Ole buddy Dave was smart, nice-looking, kinda funny and sought trouble like water seeks its lowest level. Even more disturbing to me....pretty girls were drawn to his bad-boy image but those relationships were mostly brief and ended badly. Every time ole buddy Dave came to the house, I would grit my teeth as the super-Eddie Haskell routine dripped off this kid like melting ice-cream. I attempted to discourage the relationship but realized the futility in that effort....the bad-boy image also had a weird appeal to my son and his friends. It took some time for my son to sort things out, but it cost him some pain and money in the process. My son allowed him to move into his apartment at school, but ole buddy Dave's half of the monthly rent never showed up while my son dutifully paid his share each month. The landlord didn't like that arrangement and had them evicted. I found out after the fact and wanted to go postal on ole buddy Dave but Mrs. Mad's good sense prevailed. Unfortunately, there were more incidents to come including a physical altercation before my son cut the ties that bind. Eventually, ole buddy Dave abused and ran from each and every relationship he's ever had including his own family. I ran into him at a Baltimore restaurant where he tended bar a few years back. He wanted to shake my hand. I reluctantly held out my hand, we shook and I looked down to see if my hand was still attached to my arm. I still want to punch him square in the face. I realize you are not asking for advice, so you'll have to forgive me for offering it. Find a way to discourage your son's relationship with this a-hole in training. You won't be sorry.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:21 pm

So, I have 2 completely unrelated things I'd like to share.

The first thing is a good friend of mine turned 50 yesterday. His wife had a party for him and it was a great time. He's a bit of a whiskey guy so several of us brought good bottles as gifts. Then we started sampling them. Some really good stuff. And, one guy brought some homemade lemon booze he and his daughter concocted. Was not my thing and it was really strong. Loads of beer too.

The other story, completely unrelated to the first, is this morning my eyeballs feel like they are lodged in the back of my skull and I have a desire to shave my tongue. Ughhhhh.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:55 pm

Getting old stinks, but it beats the alternative! If you were still college aged, you might have handled last night better. Of course, you would have been drinking rotgut, so maybe I am wrong.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:30 pm

If I was college age, I also could not bring this as a gift, much less enjoy it.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:06 am

Our daughter and the grandkids came out to visit over my birthday again. Fun and games. Glad to see them come and happy to see them go. Great to have them around but it ruins your routine. Now I'll have to take a week to get back to normal, reposition all the stuff put out of reach for the visit. Retrain Mrs. Spackler, you know, all the stuff you have to do after a visit. They all finally retired for the day, tomorrow brings the goodbyes. Then Mrs. S will discuss how long it will be till we see them again (a week in Sept. to babysit when our daughter takes a technical class in Milwaukee with GE for the sonographic equipment she manages and uses). Anyone else drive eight hours to baby sit? :roll:
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:40 am

Anyone else drive eight hours to baby sit? :roll:

Yes. Well. More like seven hours. :D
Klaatu barada nikto

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:55 pm

psu_dad wrote:Anyone else drive eight hours to baby sit? :roll:

Yes. Well. More like seven hours. :D

Slacker. ;)
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:49 am

Well, it CAN take 8 hours if there are several accidents and construction sites mucking up the works. It's happened before.

Oddly enough, Sundays can be a nightmare, even though most people aren't going to work. We've stopped trying to return home on Sunday. We just get on the road Monday morning. We're driving AWAY from Philadelphia, so the local commuter traffic isn't an issue. And the NY commuters are at work by the time we get that far.
Klaatu barada nikto