Random Thoughts Again

psu_dad

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby psu_dad » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:58 pm

_dad, I think you related that story earlier but I still love reading it!

The Boston chapter of the Alumni Association is top-notch.

They hold a BBQ every Summer for all the local kids starting their freshman year at Penn State. And they charter buses to shuttle Penn State students back & forth to school for all the breaks (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.). I had to pay for the bus, but the cost was modest because they weren't trying to turn a profit.

The women at the BBQ who handed me the bus application form said "This, you definitely want to read!". She was right. :D
Klaatu barada nikto

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:46 am

I'm supposed to fly to the southeast coast tomorrow for a job interview. It's been an on-going process with an application, cover letter and resume, some written questions they wanted me to answer, then a Skype interview with a group of people which was delayed a week because of Florence and now my departure on Wednesday for an in-person interview Thursday morning. I'm thinking my return flight may be impacted by Michael. I'm starting to wonder if someone is trying to tell me something about this job.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:29 am

Good luck. For whatever it's worth, at my company, once a person gets past the Skype interview, they're pretty much a shoe-in unless they show up for the in-person interview with their fly down and toilet paper stuck to their shoe.

Mrs psu_dad: You work wearing bunny slippers.
Me: But there's no toilet paper stuck to them.
Klaatu barada nikto

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:07 am

Thank you. This would be a significant move both professionally and personally. I'm pushing 50 but I'm both excited and scared. I have a hunch this weekend will be filled with a lot of deep thought.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:58 am

Good luck, Shore. Hope you get the offer and then you have the option of making a decision, vs. having one made for you.
Is it baseball season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Shore, 1st a belated best wishes on the job deal

2nd, I agree with dad, once you have gotten to the in-person part its a shoe-in unless you step on the proverbial protrusion. I'm sure you did great, more importantly, is it the place for you now that you got to see it up close and personal, the "culture", facility, etc.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:28 am

Just a quick FYI for those (few) who may give a crap. Had a very nice meet and greet with other leaders and staffers Thursday morning then another hour and a half with the guy who will make the final decision. Got down there Wednesday and had time to poke around a good bit and check things out; plus I've been to the area many times so I'm familiar already. Found out that there are three finalists and the other two were interviewed yesterday. So we'll see.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:57 am

Best of luck to you, Shore. Changes can be scary but life moves forward. Good for you for trying to move forward with it.
Is it baseball season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:47 am

Shore
My goal is to say goodbye to the lawnmower, the rake, the shovel and the umbrella when I retire. Good luck and hope you make it to Fla - you lose at least the shovel and rake.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:39 pm

sameoldlama wrote:Shore
My goal is to say goodbye to the lawnmower, the rake, the shovel and the umbrella when I retire. Good luck and hope you make it to Fla - you lose at least the shovel and rake.

But you gain eighteen foot long burmese pythons and a pack of my aged, addled relatives who refuse to use their turn signals and drive twelve mph no matter the speed limit.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.