Random Thoughts Again

LioninVa

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby LioninVa » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:01 am

I started the process for my son’s sophomore year but am waiting on him to log in and sign (or pass his password along) to finish the process. The University of Virginia announced I’ve the weekend that they would offer free tuition to low and middle class students. I am interested in learning more about how that will work, but it won’t really impact me as my youngest is at a different school.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:24 am

I need to fnish the PA financial aid application this week and also start scouring for sholorships. My son should be doing that but he's on procrastinate time and we don't have that built into the schedule. So, that will be my friday night.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:45 am

MA has (or a least had) a college loan program for residents. It's a parent loan, not a student loan. And it's good for any college in or out of state. The good news is that it's easy/fast to get if you have decent credit. It's not "need-based", so there's very little paper work. The bad news is that the interest rate really sucks. I used this to pay for my son's first semester because payment was due before I closed on my re-fi that August, but I paid it off as soon as my ELOC was available. Fortunately, there was no prepayment penalty.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:54 am

My wife's student loans range from low 4s to high 6s in terms of percentage. It's a 20 year pay off and I've been over paying. She finished in 2011 and I've knocked out over half of it (some of which was with a big payment when I sold my house in NJ and moved to PA). I was looking at refinancing for 10 years in the mid-5s. The payments would actually be lower than what I'm paying now (including my over payments). Not dramatically, but it will be like $30/month less. And, with what I'm doing now I' not sure I get her out in 10 years (I worked it out one time where it's a little over 11) where with a refinance I absolutely do.

It's a no-brainer decision. I just need to get around to doing it. And, sadly, I may have missed the window as rates are now climbing.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:38 pm

If you can get a 3.5% fixed for 15 or a little more I'd jump on it. We were fortunate to hit to a low point in interest rates after we thought we hit it two years prior. So we did it again, rolled in the college loan that was an 8% and kept the 15-year time frame. We lost two or three years on the payoff but are making that up in early principal payments.

I agree that a variable rate loan is not a good idea in the rising interest rate climate of today. No one can be positive on direction but up seems to be the trend.

When you are 64? I AM 64! :o
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:55 pm

Satan-worshiping preteen girls planned to kill classmates, brought butcher knives to school, police say

Police in Bartow, Fla., say they arrested two middle school girls Tuesday who brought butcher knives and a pizza cutter to school and told detectives they had been planning to stab more than a dozen students to death.

“They told us they were Satan worshipers,” Bartow Police Chief Joe Hall said at a news conference on Wednesday. “They did make comments that they were willing to drink blood and possibly eat flesh.”

:o

I don't even know how to react to this. Something has gone horribly wrong along the way with these two kids. Jeez, that story is horrible.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:13 pm

A fitting tribute.

Matthew Shephard laid to rest 20 years later at the National Cathedral. Obviously what happened to him was grotesque beyond words. However, with all the strides the LBGT community has made since then indicates his death was not in vain. If he were to come back, even for just a day, he probably wouldn't even recognize the country.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/26/65983590 ... -cathedral
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:04 am

In addition to the bombing loon and the Pittsburgh shooting, some nut murdered 2 people in a Kroegers in Kentucky on Friday. Reports that he tried to get into a black church just before that, couldn't get in, and I guess went to look for black people elsewhere to shoot. I heard about the Kroeger shooting on Tuesday but didn't realize until this morning it seemed to have been race related.

Were people always this crazy? It doesn't seem like it, but maybe they were.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:27 am

Were people always this crazy?

Yes. When I was a kid, serial murderers (too numerous to list) seemed to be more common than the mass murderers we see now. But I don't ever recall a time in my life where there was a shortage of people who were nucking futs.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:39 am

So, I looked up a list of US serial killers. If you sort by the "years active" column it confirms that, while your childhood was not really special in terms of the amount of lunatics, there certainly was no shortage of them. The list in total also confirms your comment that there have always been people who were complete loons.

While people like Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy are horrifying, there is something about the mass carnage these shooters create in one fell swoop that I think makes it worse. Bundy and Gacy combined for over 60 murders but it took years. This jackass in the Temple killed 11 people in 20 minutes. The guy in Vegas killed 53 and wounded over 500 more in 11 minutes or less.

Btw, that list does not include mass shooters.