Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:01 pm

Measles outbreak kills more than 1,200 in Madagascar

The overwhelming number of those who died are young children. And, in this country we are actually having a debate about vaccines. People are f*cking insane.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Well, in fairness, that's not likely to happen here. According to the CDC, there were 300+ cases of measles in the U.S. in 2018. No fatalities occurred. Third-world countries with dreadful medical care are another matter.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:34 pm

Which isn't likely to happen here? Someone dying from measels? Or large numbers of people dying from measels due to insufficient medical care? I agree the latter is not likely to happen in the US. The former, however, I think is inevitable. Someone in the US will die from measels at this rate. Probably a few someones. We've already had kids die from whooping cough. It's inevitable that there is going to be a couple of deaths from measels. Doctors can't fix everything and it's hard to stay out in front of stupidity.

Edit: apparently there was a measles related death in the US as recently as 2015. And, if more people keep getting it, someone else will die. Most likely a kid.
Baseball season!!!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:00 am

Was reading about the horrific fire in Notre Dame cathedral this morning. I guess it could have been a lot worse. First, and most importantly, no one died. Second, a lot of the art in the building was saved. And, finally, a lot of the structure is intact and can, hopefully, be restored. I guess they won't know for sure until they can get in there. So, horrible as it is, it really could have been worse.

Still, I feel for the people of France. Having a national treasure burn up like that sucks. Just the history of the place makes it special.
Baseball season!!!!

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:14 am

Near the turn of the century, nearly to the day, I chaperoned a French class and set foot inside this... former... Cathedral.
Devastating to see today, and I feel worse having been around Paris since but not to that site.

The French response has been tremendous. Makes you wonder, what if live coverage existed existed for other devastations?
The Great Chicago Fire?
The Great Library at Alexandria?
Notre Dame 15.jpg
ndame5.jpg
ndame8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:48 am

Is anybody else as amazed at the guy on Jeopardy as I am? $131,000+ last night alone. He's a professional gambler and it shows but he is one well-rounded dude. Last night he was 40 out of 40 when he answered and then he got Final Jeopardy correct. He bet 60K on the final question!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:44 am

Think I've mentioned it before but my Mom loves that show - she will be heartbroken when Alex Trebek has to sign off. I saw one of the days this guy was own and it was like a Vette racing two pedal cars.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psudelco

Postby psudelco » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:54 pm

That dude has been unbelievable but his smile is strange

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:35 am

sameoldlama wrote:Think I've mentioned it before but my Mom loves that show - she will be heartbroken when Alex Trebek has to sign off.

I'd think that has to be pretty soon. I'm shocked he's still doing the show. The median survival rate from a stage 4 diagnosis for pancreatic cancer is 3 to 6 months. And, in the very small sample of people I know of who had a stage 4 diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, it's been much closer to 3 than it has to 6. He went public with his diagnosis in early March. I'll honetly be shocked if he's able to keep hosting Jeapardy past Memorial Day. I'll even be more shocked if he's alive on July 4 (not that I am wishing or hoping for anything bad to happen).

Jeapardy without Alex Trebek will not be the same. I know all things must come to an end and if he hadn't gotten ill he would still likely retire at some point, but, no sir, I don't like it.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:09 pm

I used to watch that show as a kid when it was broadcast from NYC and Art Fleming was the host. My favorite part was when a contestant would run through an entire category and the audience would erupt in spontaneous wild applause. Then, a friend of mine went to NYC with his parents for a couple of days to see the sights and they saw the show live. Turns out there was an off-camera stage hand who "directed" the audience on when to applaud and used gestures to indicate moderate or wild applause. He even coached the audience just before the show started.

So much for spontaneity.

Mrs psu_dad: I like stories.
Me: I have stories out the wazoo.
Fire Alex Cora