Random Thoughts Again

Crowbar

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Crowbar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:38 pm

Here's a case of political correctness gone off the rails.

Holy Cross is dropping its knight mascot due to its affiliations with religious wars. :roll:

Hell, if they're THAT concerned about this, maybe they should change their "Crusaders" name.
41-33.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:48 pm

HC was a men's college for 130 years. Then they went coed in the 1970s. At that point, they were doomed.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:53 pm

The name of Holy Cross’ student newspaper was changed last month to the “Spire” after 48 faculty members signed a letter to the editor complaining that its then-name the “Crusader” promoted “Islamophobia” and argued that the 2016 election necessitated a change in both the paper’s name and the college’s mascot.

When exactly did college professors completely lose their collective minds? They seemed fairly normal when I was in college.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:58 pm

How is the name "Holy Cross" not offensive? What about all the other crosses? The plus signs? The intersection signs? Are they supposed to feel less than in our society? I demand that they change their name to "cross" as all crosses are special in their own right and it's insensitive to put some crosses above others!!

Ok .... I need to sit .... I've been triggered now ......

In other news, I broke out the snow blower again. In 45 minutes I cleared my drive and the driveway of 2 of my neighbors. I love my snow blower. What I'm hating is that the damn snow is still falling. MAKE IT STOP!
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:39 pm

The storm is apparently losing strength. The earlier estimate of 8-10 has been reduced to 1-3. That much snow I usually ignore.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:49 am

I think we got a good 8-10 inches of snow here.

I live in a townhouse. While I applaud the snow plow coming through and plowing the parking lot several times yesterday, they somehow apparently forgot to salt it.

Needless to say, after I got done shoveling the pathway to the house and around the cars this morning I decided to walk to the mailbox to check the mail. As I was walking across the lot, my feet slipped from under me and I landed flat on my back. This is one of those things if I were 24 I'd probably laugh at it and only claim my pride was hurt. But at 44, it literally hurts too much to laugh. :?
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:26 am

Ouch. Take some advil and lie down. A fall isn't funny.

I think we got close to a foot, but not sure. They were predicting really heavy, packed snow but it wasn't that bad. No trees or branches came down and our lights never even flickered. I was able to use the blower and clear my driveway and 2 of my neighbors in just over an hour. It's supposed to start warming up so it should all melt down pretty quickly. I didn't shovel my driveway a 2nd time last night. At the point I went to bed there was another 2+ inches on the ground but i just checked and it's all pretty slushy. i'm going to work in jeans and timberland boots and expect the warm weather and sun will melt down the rest of the drive.

I skipped the gym this morning because I was afraid of ice but it's feeling somewhat warm now. I'll head to the office in a few and hopefully the roads are clear. I really hope this is it and we can get some spring weather, finally. I've had enough of this.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:34 am

I had that happen to me many years ago while entering my former workplace on an icy walkway. The security guard station was right inside the entrance with a big window so they could see people approaching the building. The guard saw the whole thing. After a few seconds, I realized I wasn't dead and got up. The guard told me he was about to call 911 just when I started to get up. To this day, I don't know how I avoided a serious head injury. Somehow my torso took most of the impact.

I must have been a little fuzzy because it didn't occur to me to milk a day or two off from the incident. I had a witness and there was video.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:16 am

psu_dad wrote:The name of Holy Cross’ student newspaper was changed last month to the “Spire” after 48 faculty members signed a letter to the editor complaining that its then-name the “Crusader” promoted “Islamophobia” and argued that the 2016 election necessitated a change in both the paper’s name and the college’s mascot.

When exactly did college professors completely lose their collective minds? They seemed fairly normal when I was in college.

The ironic thing is the Muslims defeated the Christians during the Crusades.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:25 am

Maybe they're changing the name because they don't want to be associated with losers.