Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Shooting at YouTube headquarters in California. Several shot and at least the shooter is dead (self inflicted). Shooter was a woman per reports. That's novel. It's almost always a guy who does this stuff.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Guess I shouldn't express the financial commitment I pledged to John Deere for my unit.

Not unless you want Grower to have a stroke.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:59 pm

Not a zero-turn but the more traditional tractor. It works great. With the bagging unit ...

I'd go that route If I had a wide open lawn, but I have a dozen or so trees to navigate around, plus a few nooks and crannies that also require tight turns. A bagger does me little good because I have nowhere to dump the clippings. I'm told the mulching unit that is available on the Toro turns the grass clippings into "green dust".

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:34 am

I have a creek that runs next to my house and I dump the grass there. I also have my old push mower for the few spots I can't hit with the tractor. It takes an extra 10 minutes.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:26 am

Not to sound like a jerk but dumping grass clippings directly into a stream or creek is pretty hard on the local ecosystem there.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:12 am

I hope he's nice to his neighbors.

EPA: Good morning, EPA.
Neighbor: The guy next door is dumping grass clippings into a creek.
EPA: We'll send a SWAT team right over.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:55 am

Shore Lion wrote:Not to sound like a jerk but dumping grass clippings directly into a stream or creek is pretty hard on the local ecosystem there.

I blow leaves into it too.

I figure it's all biodegradable. And, the creek is usually dry. It's for taking rain water out of the neighborhood. All the sewers run to the creek and dump rain water - and whatever crap runs off the street - into the creek.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:18 am

A push mower is not an option. We have about an acre. Plus, I want to use the mower for other things (mulch, garden, hauling wood and what not, using a cart, and possibly attach a snowblower to it). I just can't believe how much people pay for small motor items. I was looking at tiller and snowblowers, and they cost an arm and a leg. I am so confused as to why they cost so much!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:38 am

Considering you can spend $25000 on a car without trying too hard, 1/10 of that for a rider mower doesn't seem outrageous. Obviously a rider mower involves less parts and labor, but I doubt it's less than 1/10 the P&L of a car. Heck, you can spend several thousand on a new furnace and that's just a steel box that makes hot air.

Anyway, they don't seem to have a problem selling them.

---------------------------
PS to B&W: Have fun in prison. Don't fall for that "you dropped your soap" bit.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:54 pm

I bought a Rogue about 4 years ago and that cost me $15,000 used. I am too young to purchase brand new items at crazy prices. I feel like there shouldn't be much to a mower motor. There are a few wires here and there but nothing compared to a car. IMO, a new mower should be less than $1000. But again, I am reminded that a snow blower normally cost between 400 and 800 beaners. That is insane IMO!