Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Shooting at YouTube headquarters in California. Several shot and at least the shooter is dead (self inflicted). Shooter was a woman per reports. That's novel. It's almost always a guy who does this stuff.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Guess I shouldn't express the financial commitment I pledged to John Deere for my unit.

Not unless you want Grower to have a stroke.
Klaatu barada nikto

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:59 pm

Not a zero-turn but the more traditional tractor. It works great. With the bagging unit ...

I'd go that route If I had a wide open lawn, but I have a dozen or so trees to navigate around, plus a few nooks and crannies that also require tight turns. A bagger does me little good because I have nowhere to dump the clippings. I'm told the mulching unit that is available on the Toro turns the grass clippings into "green dust".
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:34 am

I have a creek that runs next to my house and I dump the grass there. I also have my old push mower for the few spots I can't hit with the tractor. It takes an extra 10 minutes.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:26 am

Not to sound like a jerk but dumping grass clippings directly into a stream or creek is pretty hard on the local ecosystem there.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:12 am

I hope he's nice to his neighbors.

EPA: Good morning, EPA.
Neighbor: The guy next door is dumping grass clippings into a creek.
EPA: We'll send a SWAT team right over.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:55 am

Shore Lion wrote:Not to sound like a jerk but dumping grass clippings directly into a stream or creek is pretty hard on the local ecosystem there.

I blow leaves into it too.

I figure it's all biodegradable. And, the creek is usually dry. It's for taking rain water out of the neighborhood. All the sewers run to the creek and dump rain water - and whatever crap runs off the street - into the creek.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:18 am

A push mower is not an option. We have about an acre. Plus, I want to use the mower for other things (mulch, garden, hauling wood and what not, using a cart, and possibly attach a snowblower to it). I just can't believe how much people pay for small motor items. I was looking at tiller and snowblowers, and they cost an arm and a leg. I am so confused as to why they cost so much!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:38 am

Considering you can spend $25000 on a car without trying too hard, 1/10 of that for a rider mower doesn't seem outrageous. Obviously a rider mower involves less parts and labor, but I doubt it's less than 1/10 the P&L of a car. Heck, you can spend several thousand on a new furnace and that's just a steel box that makes hot air.

Anyway, they don't seem to have a problem selling them.

---------------------------
PS to B&W: Have fun in prison. Don't fall for that "you dropped your soap" bit.
Klaatu barada nikto

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:54 pm

I bought a Rogue about 4 years ago and that cost me $15,000 used. I am too young to purchase brand new items at crazy prices. I feel like there shouldn't be much to a mower motor. There are a few wires here and there but nothing compared to a car. IMO, a new mower should be less than $1000. But again, I am reminded that a snow blower normally cost between 400 and 800 beaners. That is insane IMO!