Random Thoughts Again

psu_dad

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby psu_dad » Sun May 20, 2018 3:16 pm

This is Texas. You can pretty much walk into a Burger King with a holstered Colt .45. I presume Texas has the gun laws it's citizenry wants. And I
presume they're not going to change them in any significant way. So it stands to reason (so to speak) that their elected officials would focus on security.

And they're not addressing people who write for or read the WaPo and NYT with their comments. I doubt they give a rat's ass what those people think.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun May 20, 2018 3:33 pm

I don't expect miracles from Congress on the issue, yet. I think the tide is shifting but there is still a lot of work to do.

Though Congress isn't doing a whole lot since Parkland, some state and local governments have enacted tougher measures. Some banks have stopped or have put restrictions on gun manufacturers. And in another promising sign when my wife were out last night, the bartender at the establishment we went too (a big gun rights activist) lamented how much harder corporate America has made it to buy a gun. Some stores around this area won't let you buy guns and ammunition at the same time. The local Wal-Mart has even stopped selling guns (something that would have been unthinkable pre-Parkland). I've even read gun sales have plummeted since Trump took office (dubbed the Trump slump).

My Congressional district (6th Congressional district in PA) is also blessed Ryan Costello is leaving Congress and he is widely expected to be replaced by a much more pro-gun control Dem in Christie Houlahan.

I can see the gun thing being similar to smoking. I remember back in the day when you could smoke on airplanes and it was big news when Delta aired a commercial stating it banned smoking on all flights. Now smoking is largely taboo in society. The way the gun issue is going I see similarities between the two. And the NRA certainly didn't help itself by appointing a polarizing right wing extremist as its president. Ollie certainly isn't going to help in bringing moderates into his organization.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun May 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Did you have the impression that, prior to adding North, the NRA was a moderate organization?
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun May 20, 2018 4:14 pm

Bernie Sanders' wife is out of work, now that her private college is kaput. Maybe they should have hired her.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun May 20, 2018 4:25 pm

Blue&White wrote:Did you have the impression that, prior to adding North, the NRA was a moderate organization?

Not exactly. Ollie just ended the debate.

I look at it like this. There was a time the second amendment was needed due to legitimate fears about the the British crown. Now we are marrying into British royalty.

Things change.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun May 20, 2018 4:49 pm

Actually, it wasn't fear of the British crown that drove the concerns surrounding the 2nd Amendment. It was fear of slave revolts.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psudelco

Postby psudelco » Sun May 20, 2018 5:26 pm

I think part of the problem is the over prescription of anti depression meds. I'm not saying kinds weren't on them when I was teen but I don't remember anyone and I'm 48. Drugs alter you in different ways and maybe we as a society need a better way instead of providing mood altering drugs to young kids.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun May 20, 2018 8:49 pm

I've seen that getting thrown around a lot but I've yet to see the evidence to support the statement that ADHD meds and similar meds are a cause of all this violence. Dad talked about how we medicate kids in this country in a previous discussion and implied that we are drugging our kids at a much higher rate than Europe is. I went looking for some details on that but had trouble finding anything definitive. The best I found was this 2015 article from the Guardian that says the UK is catching up to the US. Beyond that, I couldn't find any great numbers on usage in the US vs. Europe. But, I don't find it difficult to believe the US is medicating it's kids at a higher rate than anywhere else. We live in a society where business gets to influence things like how much medication we have and any attempt to regulate that is decried as unnecessary regulation and "killing jobs" and we do away with that kind of shit here. So, I suspect we are medicating our kids more than Europe. But, how much more? I have no idea.

But, so what? There are plenty of mass shootings in the US that do not include teens on Ritalin. The lunatic who shot over 500 people in Vegas was in his 50s and was not taking Ritalin. And, the number of mass shootings in the US dwarfs the rest of the world. This is a list of all the mass shootings since 1996. The overwhelming majority of them are in the US. There is not a close 2nd. It astounds me that we keep looking for reasons and causes and ignoring the obvious one - the number of guns in the US. Forget the question of what we do about it, there are far too many people who can't even suggest that maybe, just maybe, guns are part of the problem here.

No wonder this keeps happening. No one with any kind of power cares.

psudelco

Postby psudelco » Sun May 20, 2018 9:58 pm

I agree guns are an issue but have there been studies showing the effects of these drugs on young brains. It's not just Ritalin, it's Adderall, lexapro, xanax, Zoloft, lithium, Prozac etc.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... brain.html

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun May 20, 2018 10:40 pm

psudelco wrote:I think part of the problem is the over prescription of anti depression meds. I'm not saying kinds weren't on them when I was teen but I don't remember anyone and I'm 48. Drugs alter you in different ways and maybe we as a society need a better way instead of providing mood altering drugs to young kids.

We are going to agree to disagree. I don't think these drugs are altering minds to the point where killing people becomes an option. I truly think the internet is a huge issue. Again, 30 years ago, a depressed kid went to his room and listened to a Black Sabbath record backwards (sarcasm). Today, kids have access to tons of material that just fuel their desire to hurt, maim, and kill people. I would bet a good amount of money that this kid was researching hours and hours of shady shit on the internet. Again, we didn't have easy access to this type of content 30 years ago. I just thought that the shooting at Columbine was right around the time the internet was taking off.