Random Thoughts Again

psudelco

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby psudelco » Sun May 20, 2018 10:54 pm

I think that's part of it, I wasn't blaming it entirely on the drug issue but I think it's a part. There's been an explosion of prescription meds in the last 20 years and isn't all antidepressants, it's opioids and more. We as a society need to address wellness and mental health differently.
Guns, internet, drugs, bullying and whatever else

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon May 21, 2018 12:00 am

But at the same time these drugs are also making people feel better. My wife takes Zoloft and is a completely different person when she does not take it. She is just one example and there are exceptions to every rule. I am sure there are a lot of factors contributing to all of these mass shooting. These mass shootings did not take place until the internet took off. There were a few mass shootings prior to the internet but that internet has turned confused people into terrorists.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 21, 2018 7:19 am

Other countries have the internet. And violent video games. And violent movies. Rap music. Rock music. Prescription drugs. All of that. We are not isolated from the rest of the world where these things exist only here. All of these influences exist elsewhere.

There are 2 things, however, other countries don't have - an abundance of guns and an epidemic of mass shootings.

I'm all for looking into the impact these drugs have on young minds. Sure, let's study the impact of the internet too. Why the hell not. But, let's please stop pretending that guns are not the root cause of gun violence.
Is it baseball season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon May 21, 2018 9:45 am

So, CNN reported that the shootout between deputies and the gunman lasted over 25 minutes and that, "it's unclear whether all the victims were shot by the suspect, or whether some were shot by deputies during the crossfire." They will know more when the forensics reports are competed.

The Lt Asshat, I mean, Lt Governor is quoted at the end of the article with regards to more guns... "We have to arm our teachers," he said. "If another person has a gun, the best way to stop that person is with another person with a gun. But an even better way is four people with a gun to stop that person."

I hear a lot of pro-gun types saying that this is the only way to combat gun violence but this is the first time I have seen it doubled (actually quadrupled) down. Yet an unarmed man stopped the shooting at the Waffle House recently, so there are other ways. I have maintain that the "good guy with a gun" theory is mostly a myth. I have to add that I don't think that a police officer or a hired security guard falls under this category; the theory seems more directed to everyday joe's who happen to be in the right spot so someone paid or scheduled to do a job doesn't fit.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon May 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Good guy with a gun stopped a school shooting in Illinois last week - but that didn't get much press. Don't know if anyone saw the video of good girl with a gun fro Brazil that stopped an armed robbery of a group of women and children. It's not a cure all but having armed good guys present and able to address a threat is definitely a deterrent in my opinion.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Mon May 21, 2018 2:27 pm

That brazil video "good girl" was a veteran off-duty cop.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon May 21, 2018 3:08 pm

Blue&White wrote:Other countries have the internet. And violent video games. And violent movies. Rap music. Rock music. Prescription drugs. All of that. We are not isolated from the rest of the world where these things exist only here. All of these influences exist elsewhere.

There are 2 things, however, other countries don't have - an abundance of guns and an epidemic of mass shootings.

I'm all for looking into the impact these drugs have on young minds. Sure, let's study the impact of the internet too. Why the hell not. But, let's please stop pretending that guns are not the root cause of gun violence.

Agree, but instead of using guns they are using bombs and vans to run over people. They don't have access to guns so they are using something else to kill people.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon May 21, 2018 3:12 pm

hbendle wrote:That brazil video "good girl" was a veteran off-duty cop.

Agree and she was at the right place at the right time. I think this kid carries all of these weapons into school and waited for the right time. You could have an officer in every hallway and there will still be casualties because these action have been well thought out. I am assuming this kid wasn't thinking about killing students for 5 minutes and then acted on it

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Plane passenger arrested for peeing on seat in front of him

But, it wasn't all bad:

Emily also confirmed she was moved to the front of the plane after the man began urinating. Her bag fees were waived and she was given a $200 Frontier voucher toward.

$200 in vouchers and waived bag fees and all you have to do is risk being sexually assaulted and have the guy next to you pee on a seat? C'mon, who here wouldn't take that deal?
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Pretty sweet. Years ago, I witnessed a guy playing with himself in a subway station. I didn't get squat.
Klaatu barada nikto