Random Thoughts Again

Nat@PSU

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Nat@PSU » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:41 am

My general thoughts about gun control? Jim Jeffries pretty much hits the nail on the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n71CSp8NJlc (NSFW, unless you have headphones on)

As a country, we have essentially said with our actions that we are OK with large groups of people being murdered while attending school, church, a concert, etc so that we can have guns. We can continue to say it's unacceptable but our approach to gun ownership in this country belies our true feelings on the matter.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:09 pm

As a country, we have essentially said with our actions that we are OK with large groups of people being murdered while attending school, church, a concert, etc so that we can have guns.

Well, we're also OK with 10,000+ deaths every year in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, so that we can have booze. Not to mention the other grief brought on by alcoholism. In both instances, I think the majority of people who use these items responsibly don't want them taken away because of the minority who don't.

You could improve a lot of situations by taking things away from people. Do you have any idea how much healthier we would be as a country if fried foods, sugar, and the other crap we put in our bodies were outlawed? And how much health care costs would plummet? We're not going to do that, either.

Liberty is messy.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:40 pm

This gun argument is water way-way-way under the bridge. A very deep-seated firearms culture exists in the USA that goes back essentially 400 years, and enabled the possibility of freedom from England to occur. Good or bad, that culture ain't going away in the foreseeable future. Maybe in two or three generations, but not now, not next week or with the next president. Playing around with gun laws at this point, while making the left feel good, does nothing for the safety of the general public from either deranged losers or terrorists. As long as all of us are alive there will be at least half a billion guns owned by a couple hundred million citizens - might as well accept that fact and move on to something that may BE useful to the general public, such as trying to understand why we are breeding massacre-minded lunatics at such a frightening rate.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:51 pm

Jerry Garcia wrote:This gun argument is water way-way-way under the bridge. A very deep-seated firearms culture exists in the USA that goes back essentially 400 years, and enabled the possibility of freedom from England to occur. Good or bad, that culture ain't going away in the foreseeable future. Maybe in two or three generations, but not now, not next week or with the next president. Playing around with gun laws at this point, while making the left feel good, does nothing for the safety of the general public from either deranged losers or terrorists. As long as all of us are alive there will be at least half a billion guns owned by a couple hundred million citizens - might as well accept that fact and move on to something that may BE useful to the general public, such as trying to understand why we are breeding massacre-minded lunatics at such a frightening rate.

Good points Jerry. I believe the devaluation of human life has led us to this point. People value animals more than humans in many cases.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:06 pm

People value animals more than humans in many cases.

I wouldn't say I value animal lives more than human lives, but I certainly prefer the company of dogs over ~90% of the people I've ever met. It's very rare I meet a dog I don't like, and I get to meet dogs all the time with the dog rescue I volunteer with. I meet people I think are douchebags all the time, though. People suck.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:56 pm

I certainly prefer the company of dogs over ~90% of the people I've ever met.

Unconditional loyalty ... always happy to see you ... non-judgmental ... don't nag you if you wear your bathrobe and bunny slippers all day.
What's not to like?

Mrs psu_dad: Was that last one directed at me?
Me: No. It was just hypothetical.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:20 pm

I live by a couple of rules:

1. Don't trust someone who doesn't like dogs.
2. Don't trust someone your dog doesn't like.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Mini hockey pucks?

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:32 am

Veteran's Day, 2017

Here's to you vets on this board. You guys rock!