Random Thoughts Again

Crowbar

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Crowbar » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks!!!

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:46 pm

A random thought about something I just learned. I had no idea that dogs were used in searches now to uncover hidden flash drives, sim cards and the like. Many times they're just so small and hidden in something else that they get overlooked in a search but the dogs have been trained to find the chemical that circuit boards are coated with to prevent overheating. I think that's completely amazing.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:49 pm

They can also be used to detect certain kinds of cancer. Yet more reasons why I prefer dogs to people.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Earlier this year, Mrs JG bought me a bottle of good scotch for Father's Day. I had drunk perhaps 2 oz of scotch my entire life previous to this gift, so I smiled weakly and said 'thanks.' Forty years ago I hated the stuff. Turns out, I really like it now. And now that the bottle is empty, I'm in the market for more! Any suggestions out there? Try to keep it under a hundo, please...

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Mrs psu_dad: That's not scotch.
Me: But it's pretty. It looks like Romulan Ale.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:13 pm

I am partial to The Glenlivit 15, personally. Not over the top expensive and very good. I just finished a bottle of The McCallum 15, which runs about $130. I prefer The Glenlivit, personally.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:14 pm

Dad, I said under a hundred. Come on.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Blue&White wrote:I am partial to The Glenlivit 15, personally. Not over the top expensive and very good. I just finished a bottle of The McCallum 15, which runs about $130. I prefer The Glenlivit, personally.

My BiL works at a liquor store and is able monitor when something very good has a (rare) end-of-run price cut, at which time he pounces and squirrels away a few bottles. So a few weeks ago he treated me to Johnnie Walker Gold 18, Knappogue Castle (12, I think), and something else that I've forgotten. I still liked my Glenfiddich 12 better than those, but it's time to expand the palate.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:28 pm

I have never had a Johnnie Walker product I've enjoyed. I'm told the Blue is good and I know people who like the black, but I don't.

If you like Glenfiddich, try the Glenlivit. I think they are from the same region and with scotch where it is made impacts the flavor. Some are more smoky, some are more oaky. I enjoy good scotch but I'm not enough of an aficionado to know the differences. I just like what I like. But, my friends who are actual Scots from Scotland pushed me towards Glenlivit so I went with that.

My other recommendation is, whatever you get, spend the money to get the 15 over the 12, but don't get the 18 over the 15. My experience is the different between 15 and 12 is worth the money but the difference between 18 and 15 is negligible. At least to my sense of taste.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Seriously, I know squat about scotch, But my BIL swears by the Lagavulin 16. Many a time he has bored me to tears talking about it. He has expressed some annoyance that the price can fluctuate quite a bit based on local availability (it's imported from Scotland), but I think he said it's generally around $70.