Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Occasionally, I realize we're out of milk for my morning coffee

That never happens in my house. We have a milk-monitoring system in the form of my 16 year old son. He keeps my wife and I constantly appraised of how much milk is in the house.

A frequent comment in my house is something along the lines of "hey dad, I just took a gallon out of the fridge downstairs and we're down to 2 gallons of milk" There is no chance of waking up and discovering we are out of milk. My son is actively tracking every ounce of the stuff.

He's like that with firewood lately, too. Every time we bring in an armful of wood from outside, he asks me when I'm going to order more because, you know, we're down to just under half a cord now and you never know when there may be a wood shortage.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:22 pm

I have this weird milk-related thing. It has to be fresh. If the carton has been opened for more than a couple of days, I can't drink it. To me, the flavor begins to change distinctly once the carton has been opened. We probably just go through a half-gallon a week, but I make my wife buy two separate 1-quart cartons. I'd have her buy it by the pint if that was an option.

Mrs psu_dad: That milk you're pouring down the sink has a week left on the expiration.
Me: I trust my nose. It's un-drinkable.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:29 pm

A pint of milk wouldn't last a day in my house. It wouldn't last an hour. We go to Costco and we buy 4 of those 128 oz jugs, so 2 gallons. When my son says we only have a gallon of milk left, he means we only have 2. We go through 4 a week of those, minimum.

My wife has been nagging me the past year about how we should get chickens for the eggs (I have a strict "no chicken" rule for my house) but what we really need is a cow.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:47 pm

What is it with people and chickens these days? Chickens lay, what, 1 egg a day? Fresh eggs here are about a buck a dozen - so does keeping a laying hen around the place cost less than 3 bucks a month of hassle? Not targeting your wife, it's just that I've heard of a lot of intelligent people fooling around with chickens on their suburban property and the whole thing mystifies me.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:55 pm

I don't get it either. And, it's going to be a massive headache. First, I need to build a coop or something to keep them in. And, I need to section if off so my dogs don't harass them. Then I have to fox-proof it because my neighborhood is filled with foxes. And then there is all the chicken crap that I'll have to deal with it. I can't, for the life of me, see how this is going to save any money. And, we buy eggs from Costco. We get like 2 dozen at a time, for like under $2.00 and they last us a month+. There is no way keeping a chicken is less than that. The whole argument is just ridiculous and I've refused to entertain it. I think she likes the novelty of it but I'm not having it.

And, in all honesty, my biggest objection is the foxes. I can't see how a chicken coops is not going to be a giant fox magnet. That's all I need is these things spending more time near my yard and my dogs maybe grabbing one. They cornered a dying one in my yard a few years ago and it was almost ugly. They can be vicious. The thing was sick, it was clearly dying, my dogs cornered it, and it went into a corner and looked like it was going to go out fighting. My wife and older son managed to grab the dogs in time, pull them away and leave a path for the fox to escape. It went and probably died in the woods. It was all mangy and just not a headache I need.

One of my neighbors got a bunch of peahens a few years ago, 3 or 4 of them. He had them walking around his property and his explanation was "they eat all the ticks". The guy doesn't have dogs, his kids are grown and gone so it's not like they are playing in his yards. Why are ticks a big problem for him? The whole thing made no sense to me. He tried to keep them in a pen at night but it took under 2 weeks before the foxes got all 4 of them. And, he was genuinely shocked when they were all dead in just under 2 weeks whereas I was amazed it took as long as it did.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:10 pm

And then there is all the chicken crap that I'll have to deal with it.

That reminds me. My senior year I took an animal waste mgmt elective and one of the onsite trips was to an enormous (like, warehouse sized) chicken coop holding, oh maybe, a zillion chickens? It was insane. Feathers, noise, giant fans running full blast, and a ridiculous concentration of ammonia in the air from all the crap these birds were...crapping, round the clock. It was at least the 5th or 6th circle of hell. Need to check with Dante on that, but I remember that I couldn't wait to get out of there and swore I'd never return.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:15 pm

My senior year I took an animal waste mgmt elective

and we wonder why people refer to PSU as a "cow college". Seriously, the only thing funnier than them offering a class on "animal waste management" is someone taking it as an elective.

When I was a freshman an upper classman on my floor was an Animal Husbandry major (which naïve suburban Jersey boy me found funny enough) but what really put me into hysterics was one of his text books was entitled "The Meat We eat". That just never stopped being funny to me.

And yes, I realize this is a real science and agriculture is a huge industry that employees a ton of people. I still found it funny, though.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:20 pm

But the class was full of chicks. Really hot ones.

[cue rim-shot .wav file...]

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:29 pm

Was this your college girlfriend?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:25 pm

A pint of milk wouldn't last one gulp in my place - well chocolate milk.

I fondly remember actually getting milk at the dairy as a lad - we get 8 half gallon bottles for the week and you returned the empty bottles. In my teens years I had a big crush on a girl that work there in the summer - so I was drinking milk like crazy - I would also dress far to nicely to go into a store that was surrounded by cow-Emmert.

Didn't get the girl - did grow a couple inches though.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall