Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 am

Well, dating is probably harder now in at least Sweeden.

What constitutes "explicit consent"? Is there a form you have filled out in advance? Does it have to be notarized?
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri May 25, 2018 9:57 am

It's funny you say that. I was discussing this with my SIL a few years ago when my nephew (her son) went to college. As liberal-minded as she is, she wasn't crazy about the co-ed dorm concept. I suggested that her son shouldn't even think about having sex without either (1) a signed and notarized consent form or (2) affidavits from three witnesses indicating it was consensual.

You probably don't want to risk getting dragged into the college Kangaroo Court system with less than that.

-------------------

On a more serious note, I don't understand the comment by the Swedish Deputy PM that the ME TOO movement has shown the "need" for new legislation. Why does the exposure of OBVIOUS sexual predators who can be prosecuted under current laws require that everyone be subjected to more complicated laws?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri May 25, 2018 11:39 am

Because politicians have to show they did "something" and take the problem seriously.

In the late 90s 2 guys in Wyoming basically kidnapped and then murdered a gay man named Mathew Sheppard. They ostensibly did it because Sheppard made a pass at one of them. They were arrested. One of the men cut a plea deal that got him life. The other rolled the dice with a trial and lost. He may have faced the death penalty but Sheppard's own father made the appeal to the court that he not be executed and the court honored the request. But, the laws of Wyoming were more than able to do with this horrific event.

Then along comes the federal government 10 years later to pass federal hate crime legislation in Sheppard's name. Why? The existing laws were sufficient. Why do we have to now say some victims are more tragic than others? I don't get it.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri May 25, 2018 11:44 am

That was a rhetorical question, but your answer was spot on. I suppose it's somewhat comforting to know we're not the only country governed by knuckleheads.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri May 25, 2018 1:01 pm

School shooting in Indiana. 2 hurt, none reported dead. Looks like a kid did it. He's in custody.

And the horror continues.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 28, 2018 7:27 pm

So, my 15 year old is going to get a job this summer. He's finishing up the online application for Taco Bell right now and there is - I kid you not - a math test as part of the application. They time you on 15 very easy questions and you have to get at least a 70%. My wife and I were genuinely surprised by this. I guess they want to make sure you can at least add and subtract before you work the cash register, which adds and subtracts for you.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 29, 2018 9:25 am

I think I mentioned the cashier in the grocery store who told me (straight-faced) that I owed $4 and change for an order that was clearly around $18-20. I don't know how he didn't IMMEDIATELY realize that couldn't possibly be right ... but he didn't.

You need someone who can ring up an order and intuitively say to themselves "That can't be right. I screwed up somewhere." Especially at Taco Bell where you're not just sliding the items over a scanner.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 29, 2018 10:05 am

These were word problems to see if you could follow simple logic and do simple math. But, my guess is for a lot of cashiers the job is so mind-numbingly dull they just do what the register tells them.

tempe

Postby tempe » Wed May 30, 2018 6:25 pm

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu May 31, 2018 7:05 am

Interesting, Tempe. I didn't get very far before my work network buffered out but will watch the whole thing at home.

Here is one that the Navy has us watch during our annual sexual assault and harassment prevention training

https://metro.co.uk/2015/10/28/this-new ... t-5466392/