Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 22, 2018 5:52 pm

That reminds me of an old George Carlin line:

There is a $50 fine for spitting in the subway, but throwing up is free
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Speaking of nothing in particular, I just checked the mail. As per usual, several pieces of junk. I should just replace the mail box with a recycling bin. There is a national Do Not Call registry operated by the FTC to prevent telemarketing calls. What isn't there a Do Not Mail registry?
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue May 22, 2018 7:33 pm

psu_dad wrote:Pretty sweet. Years ago, I witnessed a guy playing with himself in a subway station. I didn't get squat.

Damn. He does that and nothing happens.

And to think one time the police in Ocean City, NJ threw me off the boardwalk (and threatened me with a fine) because I was walking barefoot on there. I would have never guessed my bare feet would cause a commotion in a world renowned beach town. I thought they went hand in hand.

Such is life.
41-33.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 22, 2018 7:46 pm

He does that and nothing happens.

There probably would have been no point in fining him. I doubt he had any income to speak of. But I should have been compensated. Some things can't be unseen.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 22, 2018 10:22 pm

There probably would have been no point in fining him. I doubt he had any income to speak of.

Sometimes that kind of logic prevails. Other times, not so much.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed May 23, 2018 7:10 am

I don't know if it's accurate, but I saw somewhere that the judge was obligated under state law to order the kid to pay the full amount of restitution, regardless of his ability to pay. Since it's probably safe to assume we're not dealing with the next Mark Zuckerberg here, he'll probably fall a tad short of paying that back.

Seventy-five square miles. Good grief.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed May 23, 2018 8:34 am

Maybe he had no choice but it seems to me that hitting someone with a penalty that cannot possibly be paid not only serve no purpose but you even lose the weight of the penalty. If you hit me with a penalty like that there is no way I'd take it seriously. It loses all credibility as a threat. The state is in a tough spot here. They can't just let this kid off but this penalty seems too ridiculous to have any real impact on the kid. Maybe it's better if he sits in juvenile detention until he's an adult.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed May 23, 2018 10:04 am

The state is in a tough spot here.

I agree. The judge was going to get some grief either way. The magnitude and cost of the damage this kid caused was enormous. If he walked away with just a fine that was "reasonable" for someone of his net worth (diddly-squat), there would be outrage from the people impacted by this, Probably better to impose this punishment with the intention of collecting only what you can.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu May 24, 2018 11:24 am

Morgan Freeman has been "Me too"ed. 8 women accusing him of harassment and being a little handsy.

Who's next?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu May 24, 2018 11:30 am

In one incident, she said, Freeman "kept trying to lift up my skirt and asking if I was wearing underwear."

Was that wrong? Should he have not done that?