Random Thoughts Again

Jerry Garcia

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:29 pm

I think deep down, Carl, he has some canine in him. Which breed is up for question....

:D

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:38 pm

I suspect he is a Mastiff/Doodle/Chinese Crested cross breed. Possible a little hound too. ;)
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

tempe

Postby tempe » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:42 pm

psu_dad wrote:How and what we eat is deeply embedded in values, ethics and such - so much so that these elements eclipse our logic.

But that's not limited to what we eat. It's the nature of humanity.

Religion isn't logical ... marriage isn't logical ... the fashion industry, one of the largest industries in the history of mankind, isn't logical ... giving two poops about the outcome of a sporting event isn't logical ... and on and on and on. Emotion generally trumps logic because everyone has emotions, but not nearly everyone is logical.

Now you are talking _dad - we are first and foremost an emotional beast - and easily manipulated. And yet the Mythos is the least dealt with in our lives and education. Although, there is a logical aspect to many of the items on your list - and a measurable, observable evolution. But you are right - social construction is a big field and big deal. And construction is easily observed through our diet choices - and exactly why Americans do not eat dog or horse but do eat pig and cattle.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:32 pm

That's fine, as long as you understand that when presented with that observation, the response from the overwhelming percentage of people is likely to be "Interesting. Say, this hamburger is a little dry, would you pass the ketchup, please?"

It doesn't change my original point that the author is not advocating eating dogs. He's trying to make the point that it's illogical for people to perceive eating pigs as more acceptable. And that's never going to be the mainstream point of view, at least not in my lifetime. Any more than convincing women that giving them a shiny piece of compressed carbon dug out of the ground to wear on their finger is a silly/pointlessly-expensive ritual.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:12 pm

I suspect that pigs and cattle are viewed as livestock by all and non entities by the urban/suburban folk who don't and have never been around them anytime in life looking at them in the meat section of the supermarket.

Dogs are ubiquitous to society in America. They become a family member. Horses are favored by many, seen in westerns as the friend of the cowboy and some ride them. You don't eat family members (in America) nor do you eat your ride.

If pigs were family pets they would not be eaten, as often. Nor would cattle but the mess would be very bad, litter train your heifer sometime.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

tempe

Postby tempe » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:44 pm

"do not eat your ride" That's really funny. Thanks - that made me laugh out load.
Last edited by tempe on Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:44 pm

I suspect that pigs and cattle are viewed as livestock by all and non entities by the urban/suburban folk who don't and have never been around them anytime in life looking at them in the meat section of the supermarket.

I agree. I think when most people buy a pound of hamburger, they don't dwell on its origin. My son (a vegetarian) argues that people would eat a lot less meat if they had to go out back and slaughter a cow in order to have a steak. Perhaps he's right, but that didn't stop people from eating animals before the time of supermarkets.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

tempe

Postby tempe » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:50 pm

These are great. I eat really well as a vegan and soon will millions of others. Meat goes way back - but so did a lot of other things that man no longer does. By the way - he over cooks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PT0VDKno0

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:11 pm

psu_dad wrote:It doesn't change my original point that the author is not advocating eating dogs. He's trying to make the point that it's illogical for people to perceive eating pigs as more acceptable.

Or eating the Irish.

Unless you're going to try to convince me that Jonathon Swift was being satirical.

Also, I think Carl hit the nail on the head: dogs are family. My dogs certainly are. The thought of eating dog is repulsive to me. But, I don't give a 2nd thought to having meat from cows, pigs, lambs, etc. Is it logical? Not really. It's what I was raised with. It's the social mores that I was expose to as a kid. There are cultures that actually do eat dogs. They probably don't think twice about it. Why should they?
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?