Random Thoughts Again

psu_dad

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby psu_dad » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:19 pm

Here's where it's all heading ...

I don't think I could get by on just air. Just Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, maybe, but not just air.
Fire Alex Cora.

tempe

Postby tempe » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:26 pm

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 pm

Yeh ... those PETA folks are a barrel of laughs.
Fire Alex Cora.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:54 am

Blue&White wrote:Unless you're going to try to convince me that Jonathon Swift was being satirical.

According to wikipedia, Swift's mother was born in a place called "Frisby on the Wreake." And his father "...died of syphilis, which he claimed he got from dirty sheets when out of town."

Life in 17th century Ireland had to have been a real hoot.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:33 am

"...died of syphilis, which he claimed he got from dirty sheets when out of town."

Dirty sheets, huh. Sure, that sounds totally legit.
#Emmertknew

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:36 am

I hate when that happens.
Fire Alex Cora.

tempe

Postby tempe » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:02 am

we ALWAYS bring our own sheets.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:36 am

I think its odd to eat dogs or cats but I put a higher emotional value on dogs and cats. It personal and while I've seen pigs and cattle slaughtered in my youth I've not done it personally. I've "gutted" deer and small game while hunting to prepare them for the table and that was a part of growing up in my family where rifles and shotguns were hanging on the gun rack on our porch, in our unlocked house, ubiquitously. Cleaning a kill was part of bringing it home for mom to cook. I really like pheasant and venison if prepared correctly. Rabbit or squirrel not so much but it was cheaper than the supermarket and part of family tradition. Gotta watch out for shotgun pellets, they work havoc on dental apparatus.

In the end its what you grew up with that you find normal, in all aspects of life. I've adjusted as we moved six times post marriage for job transfers or opportunities when I was exposed to differencing normals but my original normal is my base level in all things.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:48 pm

tempe wrote:I think this is funny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDaxt8hmMJU

I don't care about the PETA angle but it is funny. Cows make milk for other cows, we just choose to drink it. So what's the difference with dogs (or any other animal?).

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Economics and practicality, mostly.

In terms of mammals indigenous to North America, none come close to cows in milk production. Gallons a day per cow. Plus cows are not particularly active or aggressive and are easy to confine and physically manage. Back when milking was done by hand, I don't think milking a cougar would have worked out well for milkmaids.

In the Middle East, camel milk has been used for dairy products since forever, probably for similar reasons.
Fire Alex Cora.