Random Thoughts Again

Carl Spackler

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:14 pm

I heard a person defending Conyers solely because he was is an "Icon" of the African American community. That was countered by a person comparing it to Weinstein sp? making many great movies and being a Hollywood icon and that sexual abuse is criminal no matter your achievements in life. I thought it was a great counter to the first comment but it didn't take too much to counter the first comment.

So many charges and the words due process are coming up. No one at PSU got due process prior to being fired either but I didn't hear any comparisons to that debacle. Chances of some false accusations, very high. Chances of all accusations being baseless, higher. Did hear Keillor commented on his alleged abuse and if true it wasn't abuse at all but appears to be a roll of the dice to collect cash.

As we enter the giving season I found this commentary on giving in the best sense and not giving to charlatans.

Check Before You Write That Check

Before giving your hard-earned money to a cause, make sure the money will be spent as you intend. Look up any charitable organization in Charity Navigator’s database of IRS filings. If you're looking for a charity in a specific niche, browse by categories such as Animals, Art & Culture, Education, Environment, Human Rights, or Religion.

You’ll find out how much a charity spends on fundraising, executive salaries, and other overhead. You’ll also find smart tips on how to give in-kind donations (hint: don’t send cocktail dresses to earthquake victims).

Charity Navigator (itself a 501-c3 non-profit organization) also has a Fake Charities page, which lists several dozen bogus charities. You might think that "Disabled Veterans of America" or "The Autism Resource Center" sound legitimate enough. But these and others on the list are actually soliciting funds in violation of federal tax law. (The scammer who ran the fake DVA was sentenced to up to 10 years in prison.) Click on any of the fake charities listed on this page, and in addition to details on the organization, you'll find a list of similar charities that ARE legit.

CharityWatch (also a 501-c3) is another charity watchdog organization that rates charities. It does provide lists of top-rated charities and other useful information, but requires a donation for full access to its reports. The BBB's Wise Giving Alliance is another trustworthy source of information about charities. You might also want to check out this list of The 50 Worst Charities in America.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:31 pm

I generally don't like to donate $$$ to large charitable organizations because I don't know how much of the money ends up in the pockets of executives, rather than those who need the money. One of my wife's closest friends worked for The United Way many years ago and she was stunned by how many totally worthless management types making 6-figure salaries they had. She didn't stay there long.

I prefer to donate to local organizations where most of the people involved are volunteers and I can see where the $$$ is going.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:47 pm

These kinds of actions and not making the allegations public due to "privacy concerns" or whatever the argument is just doesn't make sense. Doing what they are doing, by its nature, reflects poorly on him and makes it seem like he did something wrong.

Maybe there is more to this than "he touched a woman's back" and they just aren't speaking up. Maybe he put that story out there to win public support. There has to be some other aspect to this story because this just doesn't make sense. And, they are getting a lot of backlash from it, from what I read. His fans - and there are a lot of them - are pissed.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:51 pm

Well, other than what's been reported, he better be cleaner than new-fallen snow. Because if any other women have a story to tell, they're probably going to tell it now.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:05 pm

Maybe he's a serial back-toucher. We can't have such people in polite society, you know.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:08 pm

Or a serial front-toucher.

Good grief. Ask and ye shall receive.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:33 pm

So he touched a bear back and closed a woman's jacket to cover up her chest? That's all they have?

I agree he should keep his hands to himself, but if that is all people can come up with to complain about over a ~40+ year career, I'm not impressed. There is nothing there that justifies attacking his credibility and reputation like that. There is a mention of a complaint to MPR HR about him, but there are no details. Without knowing more, I'm really hesitant to assume anything.

This is not Roy Moore accused of being 30+ and dating - and molesting - teenagers. This is not Harvey Weinstein accused of assault and maybe rape. It's not Conyer accused of at least harassment and paying settlements. You have an allegation that he touched a woman's back and an article that says he covered up a woman's chest with her coat. I sincerely hope there is more to this because, if not, what MPR did was unconscionable.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:46 pm

So, contrast that against reports that Congressman Blake Farenthold, (R) Texas, used taxpayer money to settle a suit brought against him by his former communication director. Allegedly, farenthold...which appropriately rhymes with a-hole....harassed this woman for years, telling.colleagues that he had had "wet dreams" about her, among other atrocities. He denies culpability but claims to have settled for $84 million because he wanted to save taxpayers money. Isn't that like saying you shot someone to death because you knew they'd eventually die anyway? Jeeezuz! We are living in the bizarro world.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:04 pm

That's all they have?

Why do do you keep asking me that? :lol:

What do I know? I've never even been to Minnesota.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:06 pm

I'm not asking you. It's rhetorical.