Random Thoughts Again

psu_dad

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:13 pm

The standard of the internet is that you don't qualify for official Whack-Job status for something like that. Not even close. I've stumbled upon people on the internet whose very existence makes it difficult for me to sleep without a light on.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:49 pm

but there is someone who believes this woman didn’t have a right to come forward against the congressman like she did.

She may not have had the right. She may very well have violated the terms of what was an actual settlement agreement for sexual harassment in the work place, and as part of that agreement she may have agreed not to talk about it with the penalty she has to give the money back. The person who posted that may be 100% accurate.

I just think that, given Conyers statements about that money and what it did and did not represent, he can't really now make that argument. Well, I guess he can. Politicians are notoriously shameless. But, he can't make it AND claim that he did not do exactly what he's accused of.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:58 pm

_dad, I can’t argue against your point. Except that I can sleep anywhere anytime. But that’s just me...

B-Dub, you may be right. I am not aware of Conyers making this point, however. I believe it was some anonymous supporter on the web stirring shit. Sadly, they are a dime a dozen nowadays.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:03 pm

I just think that, given Conyers statements about that money and what it did and did not represent, he can't really now make that argument.

In the current climate, that would be pouring gasoline on the fire. Even if those women violated their settlement agreement by talking, the media and the public have essentially granted them a "license" to do so.

"Hey, you agreed to shut your mouth and you blabbed" is probably not the way to go at this point.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:41 pm

Depends on who you are, I guess. For Harvey Weinstein, that ain't gonna fly. But, Trump would do it, deny doing it, and his supporters would go on defending him.

That's what I'm missing in my life - people who support me no matter what I do and how full of shit I am.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:29 pm

Don't kid yourself. If Conyers were running for re-election tomorrow, he'd win in a landslide.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:27 am

I'm not kidding myself. I called out Conyers days ago.

Anyway, can someone explain to me why Garrison Keillor was thrown onto the fire? From what I can tell he touched a woman's bare back, apologized, she said "no worries" and then he wrote her a follow up mail saying it was an accident and apologizing again. And, that isn't just his version. Near as I can tell, that is the woman's version too.

What am I missing here?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:41 am

Anyway, can someone explain to me why Garrison Keillor was thrown onto the fire?

No. There's no way for us to determine what you're missing. He didn't have his "day in court" and MPR has declined to go into details.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:41 am

The whole thing is absurd. He as retired and they "fire" him and sully his reputation on the allegation that he touched a woman's bare back? Rather than taking it in stride, he should be filing law suits for defamation.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:11 pm

They did more than "fire" him. They renamed his radio show (which has been on since forever) and they said they will no longer distribute older shows featuring him. It's like they are trying to erase him from existence. Either he did something much worse than he revealed or someone at MPR making these decisions needs to calm down. Who knows.