Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:12 am

Two years ago I had 3 trees taking down in my front yard, including having the stumps ground. It left me with big piles of mulch in my yard that I have to work my tractor around. I tried shoveling it down to ground level myself, and made a big dent, but can't get it down to level. What I want to do is get it leveled, throw in top soil and add seed so my yard is grass all over. In the back there is an area where there used to be a playset. There is plastic but it's useless and it's just a weed garden. I spend all summer long just spraying it with round up but the weeds are winning.

I've known I needed to get someone out with the right tools to deal with all this but I never make the time to just call someone. So, I finally called someone yesterday to come give me a quote and he came out this morning. I was talking to my wife yesterday and asking her what do you think this is going to cost. She insisted she had no idea but I think she was holding out on me. Anyway, I decided it was a decent amount of labor and expected a number around $1,500 or so. I figured if I could get it done for $1,200 I'd be ok with that.

Guy this morning gives me a quote of $775. And, the way he said I'm positive I could have gotten him lower. I just shook his hand at $775 and was done with it. As far as I am concerned, that's a huge bargain over what I expected to pay and he's got to make a living too, so I wasn't interested in sucking every last penny out of him. It's $400 less than I expected and about half of what I would have paid, worst case. So, deal.

He probably feels like he got the best of me because I did not haggle and I feel like I got a bargain vs. my expectations. And, the best part is in the next 2 weeks all this work will be done and I won't have to have gotten up off the couch.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:38 pm

I recently had a father-to-son with my oldest about his new house. It's a great house, but it's a little on the "high maintenance" side. Especially the landscaping, which is extensive. I could sense him stressing about this a bit. When he asked me about yard equipment, I told him to forget about doing it himself. He has a demanding job, he's well-compensated for it and he has small children. I told him that every minute he's not spending with his children should be devoted to his job and every minute he's not spending on his job should be devoted to his children. And RELAX when not doing either. Let someone else trim the shrubs, maintain the lawn and clean the gutters. Otherwise, get a different house.

He found a landscaping guy he really likes and seems much more relaxed now.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:47 pm

There are things I do myself that I refuse to pay for. I mow my own lawn and I clean my own gutters. Neither is that big a deal and doesn't take that long. In the heat of summer when the shrubs get out of control my wife will trim them while I mow. I don't even ask my sons to help much with the yard work because I find it kind of relaxing. But, the work I hired this guy to do is going to be an all day affair and it's going to be backbreaking. There is nothing relaxing about any of it. Screw that. I'm getting too old for that and I frankly work too many hours during the week for me to spend a whole weekend regrading my yard and getting rid of that mulch.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that $775 is a bargain.A huge one.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:32 pm

I'm the same way for the most part in terms of self-sufficiency. In terms of regular maintenance, I only get help with the lawn. I told my barber that I was thinking if getting a rider mower. He is basically my consigliere. I tell him everything. He's the only person other than my wife who knows my personal finances. He asked me how much my lawn guy charged ... I told him ... and then he told me I was crazy.

He just downsized from a large house to a large condo and said "The gardening I get. That's relaxing and I miss that a little. But trust me. You can find better things to do with your time than mowing. Look harder. "

tempe

Postby tempe » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Geesh - you guys would think I am nuts. I built my own addition (two of them), wired, plumed (gas and water), drywall, textured, crown and baseboard, made the kitchen and bathroom cabinets (in my shop), laid saltillo tile, installed the windows and trimmed them with complete windowsills, installed two fireplaces, build my carport (the best one in town), built my son a Cherry bedroom set, including desk (which he ruined), mow and fix the mower (small engine repair), wash my cars, work on the MBG (everything but deep engine [ give me time]), garden (had the best peaches this year and tons of tomatoes), clean the fountain, fill the feeders, trim the oleanders and the Ash tree, take my kids to school in the morning and pick up, run a small business and teach. I also wash my own wonderfully white white shirts I wear to class (I do not trust my wife with them). And then I work out and take the dogs to the park. When I am done with my chores, I get to read - right now, Julian Barnes, The Only Story; Yuval Harari, Homo Deus (a must read along with Sapiens); Barbara Ehrenreich, Natural Causes.

And fix anything along the way for my neighbor.

But, then again, I'm Vegan.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:11 pm

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:57 am

psu_dad wrote:I recently had a father-to-son with my oldest about his new house. It's a great house, but it's a little on the "high maintenance" side. Especially the landscaping, which is extensive. I could sense him stressing about this a bit. When he asked me about yard equipment, I told him to forget about doing it himself. He has a demanding job, he's well-compensated for it and he has small children. I told him that every minute he's not spending with his children should be devoted to his job and every minute he's not spending on his job should be devoted to his children. And RELAX when not doing either. Let someone else trim the shrubs, maintain the lawn and clean the gutters. Otherwise, get a different house.

He found a landscaping guy he really likes and seems much more relaxed now.

Or you have the entire family help out and take care of the yard. We moved into a house with a TON of mulch areas. I slowly gutted all the mulching area and planted grass. We went from 10 scoops of mulch down to 3.Our daughter MUST work with us in the yard. She has to harvest garden items when it is time and has to weed a few times a week. She is 8 (no clue on the age of your grandkids) but she has had to do this since she was 4.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:59 am

We needed to get our roof reshingled and called for estimates a month or so ago. Our best guess was 8-10K and expected a two day job as the roof is steep but not huge. First guy comes in at 4500, and we almost signed right there. Told him we had another estimated tomorrow and we wanted to honor the good faith request. (And get another opinion just the same). That one came in at 9K and the guy then proceeded to trash talk anything that was lower. We talked with the first guy again to make sure there were no hidden fees and hired him. He got it done in one day, on budget. I think he probably lost money on the deal, but that isn’t my problem!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:08 am

Sometimes you get lucky. Many years ago, I had a retired neighbor who used to do interior painting and wallpaper work. He used to get a lot of referrals from interior decorators for customers who had zero interest in getting paint under their fingernails, TYVM. He told me the price of his bids on jobs was often related to how busy he was. Busy = higher price. Not busy = lower price.

tempe

Postby tempe » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:02 pm

I have a one story house - shingled it. Carries each bag up the ladder. Most guys have a nice truck with a conveyor that dumps shingles off at the top. I striped the old shingles and did general repair and did stapled down a heavy felt the day before and woke up and it was wrinkled! Guy down the street told me the sun would set it flat in a few hours - it did. I used a five inch pattern with a standard shingle - no staples - hammer and and roofing nails. No need for a freeze line out here - just standard drip edge (which should never go directly against the fascia - you need the added 3/4 trim. I see it done incorrectly all the time - usually with rot accompanied )

Continuing the 4/12 roof line with a hip roof is an artist at work.

But I guess you guys would assume I shingled given I did the additions - but you never know. Took five days - but I would break for a Vegemite sandwich and cucumber juice. When I was done I celebrated with watermelon and raisins.

I thought you all would be wondering about it.

hip roof tie-in and THAT is how to keep your tree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.