Random Thoughts Again

LioninVa

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby LioninVa » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:36 pm

If I tried to reshingle my roof, i am sure I would have fallen off and killed myself. Two story Cape Cod with a steep grade. I put an antenna up when Dish couldn’t provide HD due to trees, and that scared the ever loving Emmert out of me. All day up and down, no thank you! If that makes you a better man, Tempe, I am cool with that!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:24 pm

But I guess you guys would assume I shingled given I did the additions

You know me so well.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:42 am

If I tried to reshingle my roof, i am sure I would have fallen off and killed myself.

I think the key is to eat a Vegemite sammich. If you can eat one of those and keep it down, it empowers you with the belief that you can do anything. During the arduous training program (the Agoge) mandated for all Spartan boys, they were given the choice of hunting a wolf with only a sharp stick or eating a Vegemite sammich. They invariably chose the wolf.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:58 am

Nothing in my skill set would allow me to even consider doing any of the things tempe has described - at best they would end infutility but most likely would have ended with my property being condemned. But that's why I live in a condo.

I'm guessing tempe - aside from the practical "self sufficient", "money saving" aspect derives a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction and very simply enjoys doing home improvement projects. Very simply you don't do what he listed / show pics of unless you like doing the work. He's got a hobby he enjoys that's also very practical in terms of saving money and enhancing the value and enjoyment of his property. That's bonus points.

Some people like working on cars, some like gardening, some like golf, I like going out when it's 40 degrees and running 10 miles. Anything you can do that keeps you on an even keel is worth doing - if you derive a tangible benefit aside from being less stressed - like a nicer home or better health all the better.

And if you can't be tempe, be his neighbor. Handy guys like generally tend to be more than willing to help us 10 thumbed project challenged desk jockeys.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

tempe

Postby tempe » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:04 pm

Well this is feel good conversation. The reality is that I could never pay to have the things I want done. When the frig stopped working - I ordered a new motor and sensor - took it apart and replaced it. Same with the washing machine. Same with the MGB. When the electrical burned up - I had to learn how to wire the car with a pile of wire. But that is the life I choose. I thought it would be better to have my time and be able to create and repair what I needed. I started a business in grad school and kept it small and had plenty of time. I often wonder if I am the pig who built my house of bricks or straw. I imagine I will work for most my life. I never wanted much. Here are some pics (I love it when people post pics) of some of my work. The kitchen I build all the cabinets and brought in soapstone from Cal. cut it and installed. Laid the back splash. I did everything in the pic but the stove. Here is my saltillo floor and the room I build from scratch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tempe

Postby tempe » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:09 pm

the MGB. After the electrical went up in smoke - a guy gave me a pile of wire. I learned how to wire an MGB. Now it is done and I am knee deep in the front suspension. I love working on the MGB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 pm

A Drunk Man and His Blow-up Doll Force Flight to Make an Emergency Landing

You don't even really need to read the story. The headline tells you almost everything you would want to know. Btw, I saw elsewhere that the airline banned the passenger for life. On the plus side, it's nice to see it's not just the US that is a country with self-centered morons.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:28 pm

I like the retro stove, BTW. The big thing now seems to be stainless steel everything in the kitchen, but that has a nice "country kitchen" look to it. I have a similar (in appearance) terra-cotta tile in my sun porch. Looks great.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

tempe

Postby tempe » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:40 pm

geesh - This is going to ruin it for everyone who travels with a blow-up doll.

thanks _dad

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:56 pm

When redid our kitchen a few years ago we went with stainless steel but I like that look, too.

Very impressive tempe. You're far handier than I could ever be. Lack of time is half my problem. The other half is skill.