Random Thoughts Again

psu_dad

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby psu_dad » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Blue&White wrote:I actually figured out what happened. When I did my taxes I listed the $30k of estimated taxes for my wife as being "withheld". But, they were not withheld. But, it says they were on the form. So, as far as the government is concerned, I had $30,000 of withheld taxes more than I actually did, and didn't need to pay $30k in estimated taxes. So, they sent me $30k back. The problem is that at some point in the future they will catch up on the mistake and they will come after me.

I'm still on the phone. At one point the agent and her supervisor came back on the phone and told me that it was my money and to spend happily. I insisted they were wrong and we started to peel into the numbers. I had to pull up my W2 to confirm that the number I listed as being "withheld" was wrong. I've been on hold while they figure this out the past 10 minutes or so.

I can't be mad at them. I must have made a mistake when I went through Turbo Tax. But, what a massive pain in the ass.

Was going to say, don't cash the refund check but that isn't a factor anymore. It's already in your acct. We had to return a check many years ago and they give you a receipt so you have proof of returning it. Who knew? Glad you caught it before it became a morass, accent on the last letters. IRS issues are tough to deal with generally due to the luck of the draw in who you deal with. Good luck.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:03 pm

The woman I dealt with was very pleasant. My limited experiences with the IRS were all positive.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:34 pm

psu_dad wrote:Image

I would prefer a backrest on my seat. And a vanity plate that says "Gramps #1". Thank you.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Forget it. He wussed out and gave the money back.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:52 am

Figures. No guts, no glory. I believe Bdub shoulda told the IRS to stick it.....possession is nine tenths of the law. I'll just have to wait until next year when I get my ginormous trump tax break.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:02 am

My guess is that when B&W was in grade school, he was the one who reminded the teacher that she forgot to assign homework.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:09 am

If not getting the homework meant later getting hit with interest, penalties and having to do the homework anyway I sure would have reminded her of it.

How many people do you suppose would have just listened to the "it's correct, you get to keep the $30,000" and just done a Homer "woo hoo!" and gone on their way and spent it? Even if they really thought it was wrong? There was no way I was not giving them that money back. $30,000 today would have meant me paying $30,000+ back in July - something the IRS confirmed to me would have happened.

The funny part was at the end of the call, after we figured it all out and agreed I needed to send the money back, the woman thanked me for being so diligent and persistent about it. I made clear to her I wasn't doing it for the IRS or government's benefit. I was doing it for mine. I knew what was going to happen 3 or so months down the road if I didn't get that fixed right away.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:33 am

Interest perhaps, but I don't see how you could be given a penalty for their mistake. You made a good faith effort and they said you were good to go.

It isn't necessary to spend the money right away. You could put the money in an interest-bearing account and wait them out. I'm not saying I would have done that, but I would have seriously considered it.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:43 am

I made a mistake in my reporting which is what lead to the refund. Their original statement about the money being mine was based on their reading of my tax return, and they took me at my word in how I filled it out. It was only because I kept insisting that there was an error that they dug deeper and we collectively figured it out. It was my original mistake that lead to this and they would have absolutely held me accountable and charged penalties and interests. When I asked about that, they were very clear that I would have paid a penalty if I kept the cash. And, I think rightly so because I knew it was a mistake.

I considered holding the money in my money market account until they came asking for it, but I felt confident that I would come out behind if I did that. Bank interest is crap and the IRS probably charges more than I would earn. And, for $30k, I'd have gotten hit with a penalty. Seemed to me the least frustrating, and least costly, route was to just send them the money back immediately. I did it online last night. Still waiting for it to clear out of my account. I figure by end of day.