Random Thoughts Again

PittGradPSUMad

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:14 am

Blue&White wrote:I made a mistake in my reporting which is what lead to the refund.

In that case, you deserve punishment. I propose as your sentence a forced re-reading of all the arguments posted by Appoo that once made your head explode on a near daily basis. I miss that.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:21 am

It was a data entry mistake. No one died, dude. Have mercy.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:27 am

Data entry mistake.....that's a good one. That was same argument Al Capone tried to make before they sent him to Alcatraz.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Our tax preparer, a very good one formerly of the IRS, had a software mistake one our return on year where we would have received a double refund, happy days. Until I reviewed it and saw it could not possibly be accurate. I took it back to him and he corrected the mistake. The IRS ALWAYS finds the mistake on this type of refund error and if you don't report it you may suffer amazing interest penalties. Not different that getting a mistake on a bill, we always let the vendor know there was an error and pay what we owe. That's how the Spacklers roll. ;)
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:43 pm

I'm probably sticking to the "he wussed out" theory.

Mrs psu_dad: Why?
Me: It's more fun.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:46 pm

A poll found that 1/3 of 18-24 year olds aren't sure if the Earth is round.

Jesus H. Christ. I hope they were only kidding.
41-33.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:38 pm

BDub as I see it you have a kind of "good news" , "bad news" deal

The good news is if your' wife's tax liability amounts to $30K a year I would infer she makes a decent living - and since your posting indicates your more than happy with her as a wife and mother you've got kind of a Triple Crown winner - good drafting on your part - and on your first selection. :P

The bad news is when you combine your tax liability plus property tax your household has one "ouch" sized tax bill. If you look at your prime earning years you guys will drop a million in the collective bucket.

I know you are not entirely pleased with how our government spends your money but you handle it much better than I do - or maybe it's that whiskey drinking. Either way kudos to you.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:17 pm

Part of what drives my wife's tax bill is it's incremental over my income. So her entire salary is taxed at the highest rate that we pay as a couple. She doesn't make as much as her tax bill would lead you to conclude. She does ok but it is not any great fortune. Every little bit helps.

You're spot on with the other 2 points, though. I got extremely lucky.

As for handling it, it is what it is. Getting angry or upset doesn't change anything but it may give me ulcers. I tend not to fret over what I can't control. Frustration over how my money is spent is like being angry at the universe.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:51 am

Uh-oh!

So, I used Turbo Tax to prepare my 2017 tax return in February. TT calculates that I owe the IRS $999. Yesterday, I decided to use CreditKarma to file a simple 1040 since I no longer have enough deductions to use the longform. CK 1040 is free and so is the state return. CK calculates that I owe $70. WTF????? I checked the numbers three times to ensure the entries are correct. How can this be?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:59 am

It seems to me the lines on the two 1040s to examine are the adjusted gross income and the taxable income. Are those the same for both Turbo Tax and CK?
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)