Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:01 am

I imagine your 8 hour drive from Boston suburubs to south Philly suburbs goes like this:

Hours 1 - 4: Home to just outside Philadelphia, around Woodhaven road - distance traveled ~250 miles
Hours 4 - 7.5: Woodhaven Road to Penns Landing exit on I95 - distance traveled ~10 miles
Hours 7.5 - 8: Penns Landing exit on I95 to son's house - distance traveled ~10 miles

That one small stretch of I95 north of Philly is just absolutely brutal. It has been under construction since I moved to the area 10 years ago.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:20 am

That one small stretch of I95 north of Philly is just absolutely brutal.

I95 in Conn. is no Day at the Beach, either. I avoid that now by using the Merritt Parkway, It runs parallel to and north of 95 in Conn. But I do have to get back on 95 when I hit NJ. There's no practical way to avoid it.

On my last nightmare trip down, my GPS told me to abandon my plans to cross the Tapanzee because of an accident there that caused a major jam. I was directed to the GW bridge instead. Right after I committed to that route, a tractor-trailer broke down right in the middle of I95 a quarter mile from the GW. It backed up traffic for 800 miles. It took me 3 weeks to get across the GW.
Klaatu barada nikto

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:37 am

Have to say that the only potential problems on our route would be the Pittsburgh Turnpike vicinity, Akron coming home and the Somerset region to Bedford in the winter or fog season. We stack up miles of miles, over 400 miles one way to our daughter's home. Lancaster on US-30 is a pain as we seem to always reach it at quitting time but it's not like a Philly/NYC/Boston area problem. More a nuisance. Mrs. Spackler like to open up the throttle......the Lucerne likes to lope down the Turnpike, mile after mile.

Turned 64 this week. Now I'm 3 yrs older than Mrs. Spackler, until Dec. When you begin to receive lump sum options to retirement plans you know you are up there.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:45 am

Mrs. Spackler like to open up the throttle

I'm a fairly conservative driver, yet I've received 3 or 4 speeding tickets in my life, usually from a local cop for a chicken-shit offense, like doing 45 in a 40. My wife drives like a total lunatic, especially on the highway. And she has never received a single speeding ticket in her life.
Klaatu barada nikto

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:14 am

Reminds me of something George Carlin used to say: "Have you ever noticed that everyone who drives slower than you is a moron? And everyone who drives faster than you is a maniac!"

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:51 am

psu_dad wrote:Mrs. Spackler like to open up the throttle

I'm a fairly conservative driver, yet I've received 3 or 4 speeding tickets in my life, usually from a local cop for a chicken-shit offense, like doing 45 in a 40. My wife drives like a total lunatic, especially on the highway. And she has never received a single speeding ticket in her life.

There must be some universal principle that applies to this situation. My kids tease bloody hell out of me for driving no more than five mph over the speed limit and staying three or more car lengths behind the car in front of me. I admit to being a defensive driver who assumes that every other driver on the road is one second away from doing something really stupid. I have received three tickets in my life, two of them the chicken-shit variety and third one admittedly deserved. On the contrary, Mrs. Mad, who drives like an escapee from the local asylum (and I say that with all due respect), has never received a ticket nor has she been involved in an accident. Her driving style, which I will generously describe as aggressive, unnerves me to the point where I won't travel with her unless I drive. I believe this might be part of her plan because she always brings a pillow so she can sleep during the trip.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:04 pm

We do make pretty good time when it's my wife's turn to drive, I have to admit that. She's not particularly tolerant of her fellow motorists, however. Especially if they get in her way.

HER; Did you see what that #@*!#& just did ?!
ME: No. My eyes are closed.

It's sorta like the movie Death Race 2000.
Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Usually, when we travel, my wife will play on her phone a little bit then fall asleep while I drive. She will drive after we make a bathroom stop, and I am expected to engage in conversation to make sure she stays awake. Seems fair to me.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:45 pm

I95 in Conn. is no Day at the Beach, either. I avoid that now by using the Merritt Parkway, It runs parallel to and north of 95 in Conn. But I do have to get back on 95 when I hit NJ. There's no practical way to avoid it.

No, that stretch of 95 is not fun.

One thing you may want to try is taking the Mass pike to 84 to 684. You still have to cross the Tapenzee but you at least avoid that rough part of 95 coming down the coast. And, if you check traffic as you're coming to 684 and find out that the Tapenzee is really backed up, you can stay on 84 and take it out to 87 and then thake the Thruway south. It feels a bit unnatural to do that because right after Brewster 84 turns north, and it's a little bit longer, mileage-wise, but if you know that getting across the Hudson closer to NYC is going to be painful, it can save you some time.

My college roommate went on to MIT and I used to go visit him in Boston pretty regularly. And, that was my rout. This was long before the days of smart phones, or even cell phones, and I used to start listening to the radio looking for NYC traffic updates around Danbury. It was sort of hit-or-miss, but every now and again you could get details that let you know it was worth it to stay on 84 and head to 87. Anyway, something to consider.

Once you are on 87, you can take it to 287 and then to the Garden State Parkway, and take that down to the NJ Turnpike and from there I presume you can find your way.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:00 pm

One thing you may want to try is taking the Mass pike to 84 to 684. You still have to cross the Tapenzee but you at least avoid that rough part of 95 coming down the coast.

I may try that just for grins some day.

Right now, I let my new GPS unit pick the route. It has a MUCH better traffic monitoring system than my old unit had. It also allows me to specify an intermediate waypoint in getting to my destination. So I can basically tell it "Take me to me son's house, but go through the Tapanzee Bridge". When I do that, it invariably puts me on the Merritt Parkway (CT-15) in Conn, which takes me all the way to 287. I like the Parkway. It's scenic (as highways go), pretty straight (which I like) and despite only having 2 lanes we usually make very good time on it.

Obviously I95 and the GW bridge is the shorter route distance-wise, but I would only go that way at 3:00 AM. Maybe.
Klaatu barada nikto