Crowbar

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Crowbar » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:46 pm

Holy Jesus.
41-33.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:43 pm

https://abcnews.go.com/US/crock-pot-dispute-leads-michigan-father-tased-police/story?id=57285469
IMO, this shows how militaristic our police force has become. I am mixed on this tasing! Again, he didn't comply but at what price. The police should pick their battles but their militaristic training makes them do otherwise.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:09 am

When I saw the headlines in the link, I thought it said crack dispute. I don't know, maybe I've just become accustomed to reading how drug issues lead to these types of things and naturally assumed that was the case here.

Then I saw it was a crock-pot dispute. :shock:

Good grief.

Sort of reminds me of the idiot who was tased running onto the field at CBP during a Phillies game some time ago.
41-33.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:19 am

Calling the police over a crock pot. <sigh>

Upon arriving at the scene and determining the nature of the dispute, why wouldn't the police just say "Are you f---ing kidding me?" and leave? If my job required me to deal with people like that on a daily basis, I might consider using the taser on myself.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:33 am

Maybe the problem is that you haven't had militiristic training.

:roll:
Is it baseball season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:39 am

and speaking of training, don't these cops get any training on how to de-escalate a situation? Reading that, it sounds like the came accross a man who was agitated and then further agitated him. And then tased him due to his agitation. I mean, seriously, WTF? There are ways to calm people down and this doesn't read like they followed it. He wasn't armed, he wasn't attacking anyone and he wasn't likely to while he was holding the kid in his hands. He was just upset. Why it was necessary to resolve it that exact moment so he had to be tased is beyond me. Was the meter running?

Oh, that's right - I forgot. They don't get training in how to de-escalte. They only get miltiristic training.

:roll:

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:50 am

If you don't stop being snarky, I'm going to call 911. Then you'll be sorry.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-zap!
Klaatu barada nikto

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:55 am

And he wasn't holding the child the entire time. When the police confronted him, he grabbed the child and used it as a shield. Which is nice.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:15 am

Yes, I read that too. If anything, that further makes my point - once he picked up the kid he really wasn't a threat to them. So, why whip out the tasers? Because he was upset?

The police complain about how their relationships with the communities they are supposed to serve but many of them do very little to improve that situation. They were called to deal with crock-pot, which is moronic in and of itself. I get that they can't not respond but once there they should be able to assess the situation and be working to calm everyone down. Instead they very often go right into confrontation mode, and then of course the situation gets worse.

Sometimes people leave you no choice and become an actual threat to the safety of the officers or other people in the vicinity and they have to take action. But, even tasing someone should be a last resort. They should be working to de-escalate the situation until it's clear that a failure to act is going to result in someone getting hurt. I realize that is subjective, and cops aren't mind readers. But, there are some reasonable assumptions they can make. For example, a guy holding his infant son isn't likely to attack someone, no matter how upset he gets. So, maybe while he's holding the kid, you take 2 steps back, give him some deference and a chance to cool down a little bit. Why is that so hard?