Random Thoughts Again

LioninVa

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby LioninVa » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:58 am

I suppose, maybe, is some small minded way, that a police officer feels the need to act when called into a situation. Maybe. But, how about when they are just driving around and pull a kid over and escalate from there:

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1031564766270054400?s=11

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:36 am

Let's also remember cops deal with stuff like this

https://nypost.com/2018/08/12/get-the-f ... ent-fight/
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:47 am

Being a cop, especially in a big city, can be a really shitty job. They put up with a lot of crap and sometimes their lives are put in serious danger. I don't think anyone reasonably denies that. But, I also think that what you see in the video Lion linked plays a role in the behavior described in that article. Those two incidents are obviously not connected but I think the behavior in one is representative of a larger problem and it leads to the response the cops in NYC ran into. The problme isn't elected official pushing a false narrative about how the police treat minorities. Or, put more bluntly, black people don't need Bill de Blasio to tell them the cops treat them like shit. They know that all too well without de Blasio saying a word about it.

The relationship between the police and many of the communities they serve - especially minority communities - have developed into an "us vs. them" mentality. That is a problem. A big one. Because those communities need the police the most. They tend to be pooer and have a lot more crime. And, if they can't trust that the police will do the right thing when called, or if the cops don't trust people when they are asked to show up, you find yourself in an awful situation where crime and violence runs unchecked and the majority of the community that are law abiding and just want to live their lives are left with few options and no real recourse. Can't stand up to the thugs and don't trust the police to come and do the right things. You look at places like Chicago and you see how bad it can get.

I don't know what the answer is. I don't think there is an easy one. I think a step in the right direction is for the cops to go back to the practice of getting out of the squad car and walking a beat and getting to know the people in the neighborhood. Become part of the community. Maybe re-look at policies like "Broken Windows" and see what kind of community impact it has and finding a way of making it a bit more proporitional (and mabye starting to implement it in affulent white neighborhoods as well so it doesn't seem like it's targetting minorities). Beyond that, I don't really know what you do. But, as long as we have situations like what you see in that first video you're going to continue to have stories like that one in the Post, or worse.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:13 am

Maybe re-look at policies like "Broken Windows" and see what kind of community impact it has and finding a way of making it a bit more proporitional (and mabye starting to implement it in affulent white neighborhoods as well so it doesn't seem like it's targetting minorities).

They're aren't any broken windows in my neighborhood. Should I remedy that with my BB gun? I want to do my part.
Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:26 am

Your point is valid, Lama. Something else to remember is that police are usually the first on the scene for most emergencies simply because they are deployed in the communities while firemen and paramedics wait to be called. I mean, how many police did we lose compared to firefighters (not that I am saying one gig is more important or anything if the sort) on Sept 11th because they were rushing in while most others were running away. I accept that the job is often thankless and that there is a potential for danger or death just around the corner. It is unfair to paint with a broad brush, but we often do; teachers get judged by the ones schtupping students, Servicemembers get compared to the few who take lewd photos or do other unspeakable things, Penn State fans get called pedophiles just because a guy coached there for years. It isn't fair but it happens.

I believe, across the board, that most people are good. Or want to be good. Some are just dirtbags and they seem to be spread out across all genders and professions.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:35 pm

I believe, across the board, that most people are good. Or want to be good. Some are just dirtbags and they seem to be spread out across all genders and professions.

In general I'd agree. My personal experience with police shows me something else as does all my family members experience with police. Traffic stops, disabled cars along the road, etc. Nothing violent, just the usual stuff anyone might end up interacting with police in the course of daily business. Poor attitudes, aggressive attitudes, arrogant attitudes, lack a appropriate action or support of women & children in need, etc. I've had a radical change in my former engendered respect for police, now its a case by case basis and it earned, not given.

I chose a police officer to provide my 10 hrs. of CCW training. He was authoritative, my wife met him and upon leaving she gave me the roll eyes on the way to the car. I said, yes, but he is a good teacher and that is why I'm there, to learn. Upon the live fire training and qualification he was also very good but very authoritative and demanding. He appeared to enjoy his superiority. He wasn't always like that and we had some fun too but if anyone else showed up he reestablished the persona.

I believe it is part of the job, to establish a superior position over the civilian they encounter for self protection. They assess you quickly as to your intent, necessarily. Understanding all that there are some that do it well and many that don't. We have encountered too many that don't and it is not pleasant. Nothing physical, just the verbal crap some like to spew. It is sad that they feel they need to do this as most people are relatively reasonable. Recognizing they can't know our intentions we haven't done anything inflammatory yet we have been ill served, left on the side of the road with no help in the winter, etc. Enough said.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:29 am

Mass shooting with multiple deaths over a video game tournament.

Yes, a video game tournament.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/police-id ... david-katz
41-33.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:44 pm

That description appeared as one of a psychopath. Tragic that he would murder people over a video game tournament. He was a time bomb ticking away and the fuse was very short. Why are seemingly a small segment of society so immediately violent over slights, real or imagined? I believe its been that way for a long time yet today we have instant news, cell phones that video and transmit to the world instantly. We are overwhelmed with tragic news daily. 100 years ago it would be in the newspaper, a week later or so. Just as tragic but softened by a bit of time. I think we are really becoming slightly seasoned to this constant barrage of news instantly now. :(

News Alert, Breaking News, whatever the media is wearing out the shock factor of its headlines. I rarely am transfixed by a headline anymore unless there is actually an important story behind the tantalizing tease of a headline, particularly when it is stringing you out till the end of the 30 min. segment to hold your interest, which by now is gone. :roll:

Did anyone notice, college football season begins this Saturday. :) Where did the summer go? :shock:
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:24 am

Local Philly news this morning did a story on driving while high. Per them, the increase in accidents and fatalities in states that legalized pot are higher than in the article dad found. They are seeing a significant increase. And the story says an estimated 30% of CO drivers are driving while impaired by smoking weed (although I seriously question how that number was generated).

There is also a company that has created a pot breathalyzer. Per them, THC is only detectable on your breath for about 3 hours. I have no idea if that's true but that is the basis for this breathalyzer. It's going to be available this fall.
Is it baseball season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:13 am

THC in blood is detectable far longer as previously discussed but the 3 hr limit on a breathalyzer may be true although I'm hard-pressed to believe much of anything I hear that is labeled "news" anymore. The pretty boy and girl talking heads read the teleprompters and smile, lift eyebrows on cue to lead opinion, not deliver the news. Of course, they never have actually. Reading period literature of presidential elections in the early 1800's make today's antics look like childs play.

So what is next, the potaholic? The alcoholics are almost an afterthought anymore. People in pain can't get meds. Addicts can freely buy from dealers on the street, get high and die just as freely from the poisons inserted in those unregulated drugs smuggled into the country. Prescribed drugs have been greatly reduced yet the drug death rate continues to climb? Wow, did our bureaucracy screw up again? That was redundant, wasn't it? As this is a completely different subject yet linked though weed I'll let it go here. I'll be back. ;)