Random Thoughts Again

Crowbar

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Crowbar » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:09 am

I don't think our bureaucracy screwed up. I think it is more of a matter they choose not to do anything because of pharmaceutical PAC money.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Burt Reynolds died. He was 82.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:58 am

Checking my yahoo email a little bit ago and I have like 10 emails form a job site who has already taken the liberty of setting up a series of interviews for me with companies such as Coca Cola and Walmart. I can make up to $20/hour!

All I have to do to confirm my interview appointments is ... click the link.

Seems totally legit.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:41 am

Back in the Olden Days (pre-internet) hiring a "headhunter" was a pretty common way to find a job. They did the legwork and set you up with interviews. I used one once. I SPECIFICALLY told him to contact me before contacting any company on my behalf. I was looking for a job on the sly and I didn't want him contacting a company where people knew me.

So a week later I get a call from a company wanting to interview me. It came as a surprise because the headhunter hadn't told he was contacting them. When I asked how they got my name, I was told: "Our company attended a job fair the other day and your headhunter was there handing out your resume."

So I fired the headhunter. Then a few days later, my boss calls me in and tells me they're very happy with my work and are moving my annual review to now (6 months ahead of time). I've always suspected that the headhunter dropped a dime on me, the little weasel.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:52 am

So, ratted you out and got you a raise. I bet you have never forgiven him.

There is a job site specifically for teachers. When my wife was contracting out to a charter school in Philly, almost all of the younger teachers were looking for jobs off that site. Most of them were fresh out of college and they took the charter school jobs because they were hiring. The reason the charter schools were always hiring was because they paid like crap, they offered lousy benefits, they were nasty to the staff and they generally gave the staff zero reason to want to stick around so they had a lot of turnover. And, that was before you factored in their primary competition for labor were public schools who offered great benefits, pensions, and tenured positions from which God himself could not remove you. So, not surprisingly, all the teachers were looking for jobs in the public schools.

Some of them didn't just apply for jobs. Some of them also posted their resumes were potential employers could find them. The charter school my wife was at started checking the site and looking to see if their teachers were posting resumes. My wife came home one day and told me that vice principal accosted one of the teachers in the hall after finding her resume (the teacher here was already interviewing). Per my wife, the discussion went as follows:

VP: I saw you posted your resume for a new job.
Teacher: What about it?
VP: You need to take it down!
T: Why?
VP: We don't want you to take another job.
T: Then pay me better.
VP: If you don't stop looking for another job I'll fire you.
T: You need better threats.

They gave her some period of time to take her resume off. During that time, she got another job offer. She then waited for them to fire her. They did and she collected unemployment for the summer.

Is this a great country or what?

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:25 pm

That's classic. LMAO.

My parents wanted me to be a teacher. I told them corrupting future generations would likely land me in the deepest pit of hell, so no go.
Last edited by pennstate92 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:26 pm

So, ratted you out and got you a raise. I bet you have never forgiven him.

I don't believe that was his intention.

One co-worker I confided in told me that the headhunter, having lost me as a client, could have been trying to ingratiate himself with my company by giving them a heads up on an employee who was looking to leave. It's plausible. My old company used headhunters on occasion. And it's hard to believe this early raise was a total coincidence. My old company wasn't like that charter school. They were grown-ups about this sort of stuff. I just didn't realize that at the time, which is why I was nervous about fielding other offers. When I eventually left them (many years later) I told them a couple of months in advance that I was going to finish my current project and then move on. They were great about it.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:28 pm

Sounds like they were a great company to work for.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:32 pm

My parents wanted me to be a teacher.

So did mine. Based on stories my SIL (a teacher) tells me, I made the right choice. Right about now, I'd probably be finishing up a long prison sentence for tossing a student out a window.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Sounds like they were a great company to work for.

All things considered, they were. They paid their people very well and gave them interesting work to do. But they expected them to produce (or else). There weren't a lot of older guys there. The pressure to meet deadlines was exciting when you're 20-something and your job is your life, but it gets weary when you become 40-something with a family. That's when I moved on.