Random Thoughts Again

sameoldlama

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:46 am

More for the List

5. Castor beans? I asked for side of fries! These things taste horrible! Don't get them!

4. I'll give on funding for the wall if I get funding to put a giant T encrusted in gold leaf on entrance gate to white house

3. Just figured out what the Asian guy in American Gangster meant when he said to Denzel "Quitting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting"

2. Just met with the California Democratic Women's caucus - I haven't seen this many broads this mad at me since I watched The View last week

1. We're starting back the USFL back up ..... it's going to be great, nobody's going to kneel...... the ratings will we a zillion times higher than the NFL...... my Generals will play the Super Bowl winner in the Really Super Bowl and they will kill them ... won't even be close .... believe me.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:26 pm

So, my son has his first college response waiting for him. I'm off today due to Columbus Day but my boys had school. So, I've been waiting since noon for him to get home so he can check the thing and validate what I am 95% sure that I know - that he got into Kutztown. So, time to come home comes, he pulls into the driveway, his younger brother gets out of the car --- and he backs back out to go do a few things. WTF? Doesn't he know that his old man is sitting in the house waiting for him to look at his stupid college acceptance status online?

It's wrong for me to go check without him, right? Someone tell me "right" or I'm going to do it.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:31 pm

It’s wrong. But you know that. My son applied ‘early admission’ last year to William and Mary and was frantic in checking his email and chat room posts to see if he misse it. The acceptance message was basically, Usually good things come in small packages. Keep an eye on the Is Mail for a large package from us. Signed W&M 2022”. I thought that was great.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:07 pm

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but when my son accepted the offer from Penn State, a complete stranger from down the street stopped by. He spotted my son washing his car in the driveway while walking his dog and he came over to offer his congratulations. When my son asked him how he knew, he said someone from the Boston chapter of the Alumni Association phoned him and asked to stop by if he had the chance.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:25 pm

Well, he got in. He got an email letting him know during the day. Would have been nice if dad could get a text or something!

Waiting to see if he got money or not. That comes in the mail. So, now I need to go camp by the mailbox for a few days.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Congrats to your boy! The money thing is a big deal, but there are options if it doesn’t pan out. With my youngest, aa friend in the field he is studying (kinesiology/bio/pre-med) told him to take the loans if he had to an not worry about making ends meet and simply study hard. Of course, the loans are not small... but that is a worry for another day.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks. This is not his first choice, but it's a relief getting that first acceptance.

As for the money, I doubt I'm getting any. My wife and I earn too much. We'll see.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:10 pm

Seriously, dude. Unless things have changed dramatically in the last 15 years, you're not getting squat. At least not from the Feds. They sent me a nice letter after I filled out all the FAFSA paperwork. As I recall, it said something like "Go pound sand up your bum."

Not trying to be a jerk. Just don't see any point in blowing smoke up your skirt.

--------------------------
And last (but not least) a big "congrats" to B&W Jr.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:23 pm

We got very little as well, and the boy was too focused on his grades to apply for scholarships so we went the loan route. Had I knew my offspring would be smart, I might have planned better. But, knowing me, probably not...

_dad, I think you related that story earlier but I still love reading it!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:46 pm

you're not getting squat.

That's about what I am expecting so I can't be disappointed. I told my wife already that filling out the forms is probably a waste of time. At least we live in an era when it's all online and they link to the IRS site and pull your tax stuff without me having to manually enter it. So, there's that. But, otherwise, I don't expect any money from the feds. I'm hoping he gets some aid from the schools based on his grades. We will see. We've got a few more schools to hear from and a couple of more applications to get in. Hopefully we will pick a school by Thanksgiving or thereabouts.