Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:33 pm

I just became a massive Mike Grundy fan. I am 100% in agreement on his comments about the press for going after his QB in the press (it was an earlier incident). For those who did not read all the way down, here is the part I'm referring to:

”If you wanna go after an athlete, one of my athletes, you go after one that doesn’t do the right things,” he steamed after holding up the newspaper, with pages falling out. “You don’t downgrade him because he does everything right, and may not play as well on Saturdays. You let us make that decision.

”That’s why I don’t read the newspaper — because it’s garbage! And the editor that let it come out is garbage! Attackin’ an amateur athlete for doing everything right.

”Where are we at in society today? Come after me! I’m a man! I’m 40! I’m not a kid! Write something about me or our coaches. Don’t write about a kid that does everything right, that’s hard-spoken. And then say that the coaches said he was scared — that ain’t true!”

He ended the presser by saying, “That’s all I got to say. Makes me want to puke,” as somebody applauded.
Is it baseball season yet?

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:11 pm

I loved it when he yelled about the press going after his qb. But the greatest gem he possibly ever gave us is that, "people are sitting at home late on a payment!" Man, I LOVE that line!!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:03 pm

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:20 am

So yesterday brought a tumultuous end to an insane situation! A family member intentional set fire to their house to collect insurance money. We found out about it through their son who ended up turning them in to the police. Needless to say, the son now lives with us (He is barely over 18 and in college) and the family is in shambles because of this selfish, senseless act. Here is one little crazy gem that happened. We were accused of making meth and selling it out of our house 2 summers ago. My MIL called us on a summer morning and said the County Drug Task force would be coming to visit today. It was the summer so I wasn't working and just did my normal thing. At about 3:30, I hear 3 loud thuds! It wasn't coming from my house but 3 doors down the county drug force was marching into another person's house. That was a funny moment but most of the moments haven't been funny. I could go on forever but I will spare the details. My wife and nephew are going to write a book about it one day.

But going through a trial like this was mentally and emotionally draining! I wept like a school child when I heard the verdict. 1.5 years of absolute insanity- he said verses she said. There is still a lot of work as the family and younger kids were put through the ringer because their mother lied about the father molesting the daughter. I can't make this stuff up! Anyway, I have faith in the criminal court system but the civl system is still very messy! We are having a party Friday night to celebrate!

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:42 am

Man, the mob has a long memory. Anybody else following the killing of Whitey Bulger? It was clearly a hit, a hit on an 89 year old guy in a wheelchair. Don't get me wrong, he was a scumbag who killed a lot of people including women so I'm not upset I am just surprised that mob justice was meted out after all these years. He was killed only hours after arriving in a new prison.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:16 am

I imagine grower's to do list for a family outing looks like this:

1. Sit in chair with back to wall and clear path to exit
2. Bring adequate bail money and put lawyer on stand by
3. Bring objective witness to document events
4. Have copious amounts of alcohol in event Items 1 -3 are not sufficient.

Dude I give you props - given the "teaser" of what you described I'd likely have put as much distance between me and those relatives as conceivably possible,
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:23 am

Grower - sorry to hear you've been through all that but glad you are coming out the other side finally.

Shore - regarding Bulger: could not have happened to a more deserving scumbag.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:35 pm

Crowbar is on with his post.

I saw the Gundy rant on TV and thought he was giving a raspberry not a fart noise. Not that it matters that much. Gundy has a reputation for going off in front of the cameras.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Damn, Grower! Maybe you should have changed your name to PSUcooker! You know I’m kidding, right? Seriously, I wish you the best moving forward. We all go through some ish in life knowing it is us against the world. Well, that isn’t really accurate as each of us has been there one way or the other. I guess that my point is, while the situations may vary, we have all been there just like you. Hang in there, buddy!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:25 am

HEY SHORE - what happened to the Florida job? I don't recall seeing the outcome.

Anyway, I have my own potential job dilemma. I am in the running for a promotion. If I get it, I'd be the COO for one of the business units here. It's an exec position and it's a big job. It's out of my current scope and a little out of my comfort zone. I think I'm a good fit for it based on my experience, but I may not be the best fit. I put my chances of getting it at 50/50 right now. I will know more next week.

The big con of this job is it's in midtown Manhatten. So, I will have to commute into NYC just about every day. That will be about 4.5 hours of commuting a day, most every day. I can use the train time to get work done and make it productive and part of my day, but that's going to be tough on me. I may be able to get it to me being in my current NJ office a few days a week but initially it's going to be a slog into NYC most every single day. I figure that will be the first few months. I'm also going to have a serious increased cost in commuting and will be naied on NYC income taxes every year.

The upside is the pay. My hope is that I can get a lift in my base pay to offset most of the tax and commuting impacts. I doubt I'll get enough to offset all of it, but I should be able to mitigate most of that. But, the bonus impact is significant. My current plan has me paying about 1/2 of my oldest son's college in cash and having to borrow the rest. If I get this job, that is no longer the case. I'll be able to cover the whole nut every year and have money left over. I don't know exactly what the bonus will be but I have an order of magnitude idea on it. And, it's a number that makes me consider this.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I want the job because I can use the money. I figure I can do this for a few years and then move into something else that doesn't have that commute requirement. I just need to do it long enough to cover college for my sons. But, in all honesty, if I don't get it I won't be crushed. I've been going back and forth on this all week. I've decided I'll do the interviews and see where the chips fall.