Random Thoughts Again

Shore Lion

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:05 pm

Eh I don't know. As I've said on here, I work for the local stagehand union in DC for a part-time gig. I can honestly tell you that for the most part, the "legacy acts" still put on a much better performance than a lot of "today's" artists. Sure, the voices might not be quite as strong but they give you a great show. Springsteen leaves it all out there. Whether you're a fan or not you have to appreciate that. I mean I've seen him being a wild man on stage and 45 minutes later he is gimping along backstage. I respect that, he's a performer. Within the last month I've worked Paul Simon, Elton John and Phil Collins shows. They were all great. Phil is really unsteady, he's had a lot of health problems and as you may know is unable to play the drums anymore. But his voice was still really strong. I guess my point is, if you want to hear studio quality sound stick to playing your CDs or whatever. But if you want the whole experience go see them. The Eagles (even without Glenn) were tremendous this summer. I admit that's a matter of preference but I'm already planning to work the Stones show in DC, even taking time to travel from my new home to spend about 4 days at the stadium working. Of course, just working with some of the old roadies and stage managers is also a treat because the stories they have, well let's just say it's something. I'm not even a huge Stones fan but I think without question Mick Jagger is the greatest rock and roll frontman that ever lived.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:54 pm

Agree. And, in fairness, The Who concert was ok. I enjoyed it. But, we paid a lot of money for crappy seats to see guys who are way, way past their prime. At no point during the performance did I feel like it was a "had to be there" moment. I didn't regret going, but when I got home I told my wife that that had concluded the live Classic Rock era for me.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:06 pm

I guess my point is, if you want to hear studio quality sound stick to playing your CDs or whatever.

That's what I'm inclined to do.

I suppose there's a certain "buzz factor" in watching a live concert with thousands of other people. But I saw the Rolling Stones live at the old Boston Garden back in '75, so I'm good. And I don't want to risk seeing some 70-YO woman singing along to "Let's Spend the Night Together". Some things can't be un-seen.

PS - I'm happy to be in the minority if it means you get to work concerts occasionally.
Klaatu barada nikto

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks dad :D

Yeah, there is really no shortage for people who still want to see the old acts. I was too young to have seen the Stones in '75. I envy you that.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:23 pm

I missed Shores post before.

I should clarify - I love concerts but there becomes a value aspect of it to me. My wife and I saw Paul Simon over the summer. We saw him in Philly and paid just over $100 for the pair of tickets. We enjoyed the show. And, for $100 it was worth it. $300 to see the Stones is not worth it. Not to me. My wife and I saw Pearl Jam last August in Seattle, got the tickets via the Ten Club and paid under $600 for 2 tickets to two shows. Had a great time, but I'm a huge PJ fan. We saw the Foo Fighters and paid about $400 for 3 tickets to see them in Camden and have no regrets. I've seen Springsteen a bunch of times over the years and he is always a great show. I agree with Shore that Bruce always leaves it all on the stage. But, at this point, there is only so much I'm willing to pay to see him. Next time he comes around I'll decide if it's financially worth it to me.

It's all about who the act is and my willingness to see them vs. the dollars required. I would be willing to see the Stones. I'm just not willing to pay anywhere near what it will cost.
Is it baseball season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:53 pm

The latest KISS Farewell Tour is coming to Va Beach next summer. I will pay $40 for grass seats and would consider double that to be under the roof but can't justify $150 or more for better seats. It soon after for me to be up close and the sou d isn't that much better. I took my wife to see Rob Thomas a few years back (I think she would leave me for him) and we had great seats, like 8 rows back in a smallish venue. The low end was near deafening so much so that a girl in the front complained to Rob he told her that she paid a lot of money to see him up close and that is what it sounds like there. He told her to look behind her to the hill and said they didn't get the view but "the sound is fucking awesome back there!" I am fine hanging in the back.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:22 pm

I was too young to have seen the Stones in '75. I envy you that.

I was a fan when I was just a kid in the 60s. My friends preferred the Beatles. And they were certainly better commercial song writers. But the Stones had a ragged bluesy sound that appealed to me. Of course I didn't know it was blues-influenced and that Keith Richardson and Mick Jagger were huge fans of Muddy Waters. I was just a kid who knew diddly-squat, like most kids. I just knew that I liked it. Probably the same reason I also liked The Animals.

Mrs psu_dad: I like stories.
Me: Old people have a lot of them.
Klaatu barada nikto

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:13 pm

As far as I'm concerned music died after we entered the 21st century. Sure there are a few good current acts. For the most part though music today is garbage.

My music life is becoming that Bob Segar song "Old Time Rock N Roll."

All together now:

"Don't try to take me to a disco,
You'll never even get me out on the floor,
Ten minutes I'll be late for the door,
I like that old time rock n roll!!!!!"
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:27 am

I saw the KISS "Farewell Tour" in 2000 at Hersheypark Stadium. So much for that being the farewell. Although I guess to be fair that was the last time all the original members played together, Gene, Paul, Peter and Ace. Ted Nugent opened for them that night. He later got kicked off that tour. He was umm, a bit out there you might say. He said and did some things that even then I was like "geez, that even makes ME uncomfortable".

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 am

Here's a random thought. I hate that the posting times for users are all over the place. I mean I know that dad and B&W (and most of us) are on EST but their posting times are way ahead of actual time. It doesn't matter in the scheme of anything but it still bugs me.