Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:18 pm

As a kid I spent a lot of time locked in a car with my parents and my father having control of the radio. We had AM and my dad listened to WABC or WNBC which played either news or the likes of the Captain & Tennille. I have scars. Deep, emotional scars. Sometimes, late at night, the deamons come and they sing Love Will Keep Us Together or Muskrat Love. On really bad nights they sing Do That Do Me One More time.

The most astounding thing is that I don't drink more than I do.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:30 pm

There was this over-the-top lame song in the 70s called "Afternoon Delight". I had a part-time job in a supermarket. Some times I got to work in the back room of the produce department. There was a "grownup" employee I worked with back there. Every time that song came on, and it came on a lot, he sang along. But he replaced the lyrics with his own sexually explicit version. He even added new verses on the fly. He was very creative.

It was stupid and childish and I nearly wet my pants convulsing with laughter every time.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:03 pm

The song was about day time sex. How much more explicit did it need to get?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:15 pm

That song was the PG version. It was more implicit than explicit. You couldn't play it on the radio otherwise. The Pavarotti of the produce department was doing the X-rated version.
Klaatu barada nikto

tempe

Postby tempe » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:49 pm

Too sad - As a kid, I wore a captain's hat through my early teens and had ALL C&T albums. I wanted to get a muskrat so badly, but the best I could find was a guinea pig. I told everyone it was a muskrat. I didn't too many friends to show - so it didn't really matter.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:29 am

Best scene in the movie "PCU" employs that song as torture. Can't find the clip but it was hilarious.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:39 am

I seem to recall a chair being thrown though a glass patio door. :lol:
Klaatu barada nikto

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:16 am

So I start my new job Monday. And apparently I will be starting with a very modest wardrobe and sleeping on an air mattress because NO ONE CAN FREAKING TELL ME WHEN THE MOVING TRUCK IS GOING TO SHOW UP WITH MY STUFF!!!

I'm staying calm. Mostly . . .

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:31 am

Uh Oh.

I don't want to panic you but moving can be a giant scam. There are all kinds of horror stories about moving companies and the shennanigans that go on once they have your stuff. There are actually advocacy and support groups out there for people who have been screwed by moving companies. I saw a whole thing on it years ago on, I think, 20/20 or one of those shows.

When we moved back in 2008 we paid extra to go with a reputable, national company (I think we used Allied but am not 100% sure) because when I researched it the general opinion of their customers was along the lines of "not the cheapest but they don't screw you once they have your stuff".

Good luck with the moving company. It is a very loosely regulated industry so hopefully they are just late and it all shows up this weekend.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:09 am

I saw this morning the cops in Texas arrested a suspect in the shooting of that 7 year old girl last week. Seems it was a case of mistaken identity. Apparently he was targetting a different 7 year old or something equally ridiculous. The suspect is in his early 20s and is black (the original description was a 40 something year old white guy). The whole thing is an absolute tragedy. You have a dead 7 year old, her shattered family, and a 20 year old who's life is over and is probably going to be executed in Texas before he is 30. And, his family has to deal with not only what he did but what is going to happen to him now. The whole thing is just awful.

Anyway, at minimum, I'm glad they got the guy. And, what I read this morning was the guy they arrested has admitted to being involved with the shooting. Not sure if there has been a full confession but the cops are indicating there is at least a partial one. So, hopefully the little girl's family can find some closure.