Random Thoughts Again

psu_dad

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Horrible horrible story. But it had more media appeal when it was assumed the perpetrator was a white supremacist. I suspect the "demands for justice" and media coverage will fade away now. Not that it should. But it will.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:10 pm

We'll see what happens. Usually the media coverage dwindles down after there is an arrest, unless there is some other angle to the story. If the shooter was part of some kind of gang or something that may get some airtime. But, if he's just a moron who felt "disrespected" and decided to open fire on innocent people to get his manhood back - aka "another typical day in the US" - I bet the media coverage fades quickly.
Is it baseball season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:28 am

Something similar happened less than 5 miles from my house - a teen looking to make his mark with a gang was sent out to kill a rival gang member - he goes to the house knocks on the door and when the kid answers he shoots him dead. Aside from the obvious problem - he was at the wrong house. Basically some normal kid with no involvement in anything other than being a 15 year old doing his homework answered his door and was murdered in a case of mistaken identity.

The murder was 17 I believe and got life - he is appealing under recently passed law disallowing life without parole sentences for juvenile offenders.

The whole situation - just like the one in Houston - is hard to even fathom.

On another topic did anyone see the R Kelly documentary - I had a surface knowledge of his legal issues but holy shit. That guy should have a shitstorm headed his way that makes the Weinstein thing look like a drizzle.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:57 pm

... did anyone see the R Kelly documentary

No. I read a review of it and that was hard enough to get through.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:53 pm

Apparently Kelly's online music sales have seen a bit of a resurgance since all this came out. So, people see something about a guy who is accused of sexually assaulting women and basically being a paedophile and think "hey, maybe I should give his music a listen and throw some money his way".

Really?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:16 pm

It's a six part (one hour each) documentary and I have to say - every bit as jarring and WTF as Sandusky, Nassar, Cosby, Weinstein scandals.

When it broke about 15 years ago I didn't follow it closely and more or less thought it was him basically taking advantage of underage girls at parties / shows - basically going after these girls when opportunities presented themselves.

He sought out, groomed and then basically made these women into sex slaves that he imprisoned - and not one at a time - he would have multiple girls locked up at any given time. As disturbing as it all is I was astounded at how the hell this guy managed controlling all these women while maintaining his career and then still had the energy to have sex. To call what was going on absolute chaos and insanity doesn't even begin to describe it.

It also shows what money can do - he paid out huge settlements to keep some of his victims quiet or keep things out of press and I am sure he paid a hefty fee to his security and handlers to manage this operation. Amazing what people will overlook when you fill their wallets. He's a deeply disturbed dude - however there were a lot of people around him who knew exactly what kind of monster he was and kept quiet - out of fear of reprisal or because they were financially benefitting.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:48 pm

I vaguely remember there being allegations of him having sex with underage girls. Beyond that, I don't recall much. I definetely don't recall knowing about the level of depravity you're describing, though. And, to your point about his enablers and protectors - at the end of the day you still need to be able to look at yourself in the mirror and close your eyes at night. Maybe I'm fooling myself because I've never been around the kind of money these people are being exposed to, but I can't believe I'd be willing to just turn a blind eye to something like that, much less partipate and facilitate. Who knows, though. Money is a great corrupter and I guess when the cash is flowing in a lot of people forget their own humanity.

Given the number of otherwise moral people who are willing to turn a blind eye - or even help facilitate - these incredibly immoral/criminal acts, I guess I'm glad I'm not in a position where I'm even tempted.

In other news, the woman in Tennessee who was given life in prison for shooting a john when she was 16 years old has been granted clemency from the governor today. She's going to be released this summer and be put on 10 years probabation. 10 years seems like an execissive period of time but it beats life in prison. Hopefully she is able to turn things around, but, unfortuantely, the odds are against her. Unless you can throw or catch a football, hit or throw a major league level fastball, hit a 3 pointer on a consistent basis, etc., ours is not a very forgiving society. Just finding a job with a criminal record is a near impossibility. I can't think of any corporation who will hire someone with a criminal record, regardless of what they were convicted of. Once you have that blemish on your record, you're pretty much toast from an employment perspective.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:49 am

I can't think of any corporation who will hire someone with a criminal record,

My company is not very forgiving in matters like this. If you shoot someone in the head while they're sleeping and rob them. you should probably leave that off your curriculum vitae.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:17 am

What about if they had a conviction for shoplifting when they were 19? You think your company is hiring them with that on their record? I can't speak for where you work, but where I work that's a big "no".

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:38 am

PS - I shoplifted a Rolo Bar from a supermarket when I was a kid, but I didn't get pinched.
Klaatu barada nikto