Random Thoughts Again

sameoldlama

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:44 am

She's probably not going to land a top management position but as far as getting a job - most non - skilled positions right now just require you be 98.6 degrees and be able to show up on a daily basis.

I can guarantee you certain skilled positions like an electrician with PLC programming skills could get hired in the next 15 minutes even with a record.

In this woman's case since she is a bit of a cause celebre' she will be offered a job for sure.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:43 am

I recall when the Eagles signed Michael Vick after he was releasead from prison. There was an OpEd in, I think, the Philly inquirier that talked about all the ex-cons in Philly who were locked up for non-violent offenses and could not get a job. The Eagles talked about how everyone deserves a 2nd chance and this OpEd talked about how the only ex-con they were willing to hire for any position was Vick, and how they didn't really believe in second chances.

Anyway, point is - my impression from what I read at the time was that getting a job - any job - once you had a conviction on your record was very dificult. Maybe the squeezing of the job market has changed that and she can find something letigimate. And, her notoriety probably works in her favor - someone will probably offer her something. You seem to have some contrary information to what I thought, and it's not a topic I'm really well informed on. I just recall what I read when Vick was signed.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:50 am

... getting a job - any job - once you had a conviction on your record was very dificult.

I don't think it's just the "taint" of having a record, however. If the vast majority of prison inmates had a PhD in a STEM field from a prestigious college, I suspect their prospects for employment would be pretty high. But such is not the case, obviously. There's such a HUGE pool of people available for low-skill positions that there's no reason to take a chance on an ex-felon.

Ad that's what obviously helped Vick. You can't hire just anyone to play QB.
Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 am

Blue&White wrote:I recall when the Eagles signed Michael Vick after he was releasead from prison. There was an OpEd in, I think, the Philly inquirier that talked about all the ex-cons in Philly who were locked up for non-violent offenses and could not get a job. The Eagles talked about how everyone deserves a 2nd chance and this OpEd talked about how the only ex-con they were willing to hire for any position was Vick, and how they didn't really believe in second chances.

Anyway, point is - my impression from what I read at the time was that getting a job - any job - once you had a conviction on your record was very dificult. Maybe the squeezing of the job market has changed that and she can find something letigimate. And, her notoriety probably works in her favor - someone will probably offer her something. You seem to have some contrary information to what I thought, and it's not a topic I'm really well informed on. I just recall what I read when Vick was signed.

I think it depends on the job market - when there are more open positions than people applying - as currently - someone with a record can get a job - granted it isn't necessarily going to be a desirable job or one that may match their skill level but they can get hired. If the market is constrained and the competition for jobs is high the felon will obviously be at a disadvantage.

I can tell you without a doubt - our company hires hourly positions through a temp agency - and we get people with records. When labor market is constrained if those people can come in and show up on time and be productive they can transition to full time. If the market is flush - well yes you will take the guy without a record over the guy with a record. Also depends what the record is for - things like DUI, minor drug possession might slide through more easily than a domestic or theft.
When I managed a department with hourly staff we had a guy in with a record (which I knew because his parole officer would verify he was working) - didn't know what charge was but he had a shot a full time - he just couldn't manage to show up 5 days in a row - ever.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Florida man says syringes found in his rectum aren't his

Pinellas County deputies said the man told them the syringes weren't his and he doesn't know how they got there.

I hate it when I get syringes in my rectum and I can't figure out how they get there. That's the worst.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:20 pm

Another example of political correctness run amok. :roll:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.co ... 1547467200
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:03 pm

Gillette is embracing the #MeToo movement in a new digital ad campaign aimed at men, the latest message from an advertiser attempting to change societal norms.

I call bullshit. Gillette isn't attempting to change societal norms. They are attempting to cash in on an opportunity. This isn't PC run amok. It's blatant, naked capitalism and opportunism. And, while I find it morally repugnant, they aren't breaking any laws and they are free to do this. But, please don't pretend this is anything but an attempt to increase revenues, cause it ain't.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:25 pm

I admit that "marketing" is a confusing concept to people from my planet, but how does Gillette figure this lame-ass virtue-signaling campaign is going to increase revenue?
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:32 pm

No clue. How did Nike conclude that putting Kaepernick in their adds was going to boost sales? No clue on that one either, but it worked.

I am not claiming that the correlation between increased sales and this ad campaign is intuitive or obvious. I am claiming that they would never have done it if they did not believe - rightly or wrongly - that this will drive more revenue and profits. There is no way they did this because they felt it was the "right" thing to do. Maybe they do think that, but that is secondary to their primary goal of boosting revenue.

Ask yourself this - would Gilette have run an add they thought would hurt their revenue?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:27 pm

I'm not arguing Gillette's motives. I just don't understand the appeal of the campaign.
Klaatu barada nikto