Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:43 pm

The NYPD is funded by the tax payers. PG&E is a publically traded company. It's not the same thing. What you are doing is making the "Holder" argument when he justified not going after any of the banks for criminal activity after the 2008 crash. I flat out reject the argument that we cannot hold corporate entities accountable for their actions, inactions and negligence because of down stream impacts. There is not nearly enough accountability for corporate America.

The facts are still in question here but the idea that "shiza happens" and people should just suck up that they lost everything - some financially and some literally in the case of people who died is just absurd. The idea we should just shrug it off because we are too litigious a society (which is something I agree with) or shouldn't allow law suits because of where that money may come from is also absurd. Corporate executives are fudiciaries, which means a breach of their duty can lead to personal accountability to them - their money and their freedom if they are convicted of a crime. If you start to take away some of that personal risk to them then you really open the floodgates for all kinds of malfeasance.

Whether or not this one utility going bankrupt is a good, or even proper, outcome, is debatable. There are going to be consequeneces to that. But, I am more reacting to the idea that the people most responsible should not be accountable, regardless of the logic for it. I flat out reject that idea. It's an insane suggestion.
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:03 pm

What you are doing is making the "Holder" argument when he justified not going after any of the banks for criminal activity after the 2008 crash.

I'm making no such argument. I wouldn't lose any sleep if executives of PG&E ended up in PMITA federal prison. All I said is that the money to settle these suits is not going to come out of the pockets of those who screwed up (if that was the case).
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:22 pm

Fair enough.

And, the money they pay out for this may not come out of their pockets. But, remember what I said about the obligations of a fiduciary. Right now, you can be sure, there are shareholder suits being drawn up to go after the execs for breach of their fiducidary duty. If there is evidence that they were negligent in maintaining their infrastructure, and that a problem with their power lines caused those fires, and that the law suits resulting from those fires bankrupted the company and wiped out the value of the stock for all their shareholders, you can be sure that people are going to file law suits over that. And, if those suits are successful, that money may very well come out of their execs pockets.

Justice is rarely served that specifically so I'm not holding my breath just yet, but given that company's track record I wouldn't be completely shocked if some of them end up like the Duke Brothers.

It's unlikely, but it's possible. And, a boy can dream.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:58 am

So, I said I was done seeing concerts of classic rock bands. Then The Who ended up on groupon for $50 a ticket.

sigh

They were my band growing up so, at $50/per, I'm sort of obligated.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:04 am

$50 for a concert ticket today is a steal. Hell, it feels like I pay that in "handling" charges for tickets. :x
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:07 am

You need to listen to their lyrics more carefully.

Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:49 am

I saw them in 2015 and they were ok. I saw them in the 80s and they were obviously better. And, John John Entwistle wasn't dead. But, for $50, I'm in.

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:43 pm

I worked The Who show about 2 years ago in DC. They didn't do Eminence Front which was a let down but it was still an excellent show. Ringo Starr's son Zak Starkey is the drummer for The Who. He's pretty awesome. I assume he's still with them.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Zak Starkey was the drummer when I saw them a few years ago. I assume he's still with the band.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:40 pm

National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994