Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:53 pm

Cancer sucks, but I think the Navy's decision to honor the passing of Captain Mariner with a Missing Man formation flyover - with all female pilots - is pretty awesome. Glad the Navy decided to honor her that way. She deserves it. Cancer still sucks, though.

As for Governor Northam -- oops. I like that people are asking for an explanation. I think the explanation is pretty obvious - he was a douchebag 20 something year old and he did something outrageously stupid. But, he's presumably not a doudchebag 50 something year old. Or, at least not in the same way.

People make mistakes, especially when they are young. Some mistakes - murder, assault, rape - are harder to walk away from or people to get past. But, the idea that we are going to continually judge people in their 50s based on actions or ideas they had when they were in their teens or 20 year old students is just ridiculous. It's one thing if he's accused of what Brett Kavanaugh was accused of. A sexual assault, even one that happened when you were a teenager, is tough to defend. At least, it it's tough in a soceity that routinely locks up the poor and minorities for life for those types of crimes. But, being an asshole when you're 25? At some point, I think you get to redeem yourself from that. Or, at least you should.

I don't know squat about Northam, but he's making a huge mistake if he resigns over this. He's owend up to it. He's apologized for it. And, unless someone can find current instances of him being an overt racist, I think it really should be forgiven and people should move on. But, that's an unlikely outcome.
Is it baseball season yet?

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:42 pm

I am kind of mixed on this one but I hear what you are saying. Race discrimination is a generational thing that parents instill in their children. I live in rural Lancaster county, and I can say from experience that the race issue is still a HUGE problem in this country. I know too many people who make asinine comments when it comes to black people. My wife is from Clearfield county. I am not suggesting that all people in rural Lancaster or Clearfield counties are racists. I am suggesting that a lot of people would be surprised at the comments made during every day conversations. I will never forget watching a PSU game at a VFW and almost everyone called the players on the team Ns but they were still rooting for them. I was shocked and decided I would ignore and just drink beer. I left that experience thinking differently about rural America. My experiences in these areas haven't changed much since that game 10 years ago

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:45 pm

I'm not defending what he did. It was reprehensible. But, at the end of the day no one was hurt and it was 35 years ago. I think the question is "who did he become?" We know who he was, but that was a long time ago. People evolve.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:06 am

I completely agree with where you are coming from and I agree with you for the most part. But, racism and sexism resonates with me. BTW, the picture was not taken in high school or college. It was a medical yearbook when he was 25. This is a tough one. I never in my life ever thought of dressing up as a KKK member (I have no clue if he dressed up as KKK member in the pic) or wearing blackface in a pic.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:05 am

I agree that at age 25 he should have known better. Again, I'm not defending what he did. I just think there has to be some kind of statue of limitations on acts of moral outrage. He's 60 years old now. Is it really reasonable to judge him by what he did when he was 25 without considering the life he has lived in between? Can we never atone for our sins? We all did stupid things when we were young. I certainly did. People make mistakes.

And, I am pretty sure this has fuq all to do with outrage over what he did and a lot more to do with the Democrats and the left in general trying to maintain consistency in their outrage and set a standard they expect to hold the other side to. It's a crazy tit-for-tat that is creating a standard that no one can possibly live up to. Human beings are not infallible. And, not all actions are equal. Accusations of youthful sexual assaults are not in the same ballpark as accusations of youthful shows of racism at an event no one attended. If someone comes up with a story that he was part of the Klan, then maybe I change my mind. And, even if he was part of the Klan at age 25, people should be allowed to mature and leave and live their life past that.

I guess my point is that no one is perfect. He did something stupid. Maybe he did it as a joke or maybe he did it because it was consistent with his beliefs when he was 25. I have no idea. But, I think the way he lived his life since that picture is far more relevant to his fitness to be governor.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:02 pm

Ok, now he's saying that's not him in the photo after all. And, he's calling friends from medical school to figure out who it actually was. Along the way I expect him to trip over OJ during his search for the real killers.

I was sympathetic to his plight but now he just looks like an asshole. I still don't think he needs to resign, but I had more respect for him when he was owning this.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:14 pm

And, he's calling friends from medical school to figure out who it actually was.

Well. It wasn't me. There may an embarrassing old photo or two of me wearing a denim suit and Dingo boots that will hopefully never surface. But that's about it.

Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:18 am

And you thought you just had the SB to entertain you this weekend - Northam is claiming he did not purchase the yearbook (fair enough) and this week was the first time seeing the picture. When asked why he apologized for being in photo he explained he was reaching out because - being the compassionate guy he is - his first reaction was to help heal the pain the photo was causing (possible but not probable). He has admitted to using blackface for a Michael Jackson costume when in the service (which if he was a huge MJ fan I would say is stupid but not in the same vein as the yearbook).

So what he would have us believe is
> he never looked at the yearbook, even a friend's copy
> none of his friends who saw yearbook said "dude WTF, there's a pic on your yearbook page of some guy in blackface next to guy dressed as a Klansman"
> somebody on the yearbook staff has a couple of questions to answer - did you put an unauthorized photo on his or anyone else's page that are this inflammatory and even if it was submitted by Northam why on earth didn't you reject it?
> I'm guessing if anyone on this board was told there was a pic associated with them of a man in blackface next to a guy in a Klan outfit the response would be "WTF are you talking about" not "I'm sorry about the pain my past behavior has caused"

The Democrats will now be faced with the Hypocrisy Test. While I agree with B&W this should be examined in respect to how this guy has lived the last 3+ decades of his life that's not the standard the Democratic Party, their woke supporters and celebrity elites apply. I think we all know if this were R governor Twitter outrage would be at an all time high, activists would be at this guys house with pitchforks and torches and every D wouldn't talk about anything else until this guy resigned. I do appreciate the special brand of Elizabeth Warren hypocrisy - the person who faked her heritage to gain career advantages - got caught - doubled down and took a DNA test - got caught - and did this all as an adult who should know better is calling for his resignation. Guess she's good because her apology was so sincere.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:08 pm

The Democrats will now be faced with the Hypocrisy Test. While I agree with B&W this should be examined in respect to how this guy has lived the last 3+ decades of his life that's not the standard the Democratic Party, their woke supporters and celebrity elites apply. I think we all know if this were R governor Twitter outrage would be at an all time high, activists would be at this guys house with pitchforks and torches and every D wouldn't talk about anything else until this guy resigned.

I don't agree it would be hypocrisy if the Dems let this one go, but that argument requires people to absorb nuances, and we are not a society that is willing to do that. Especially when it involves politicians or anyone famous. I do agree that if this was a Republican the Democrats would be screaming for him to resign, though. They are not being hypocritical by not pushing for resignation, but that may be because the opportunity to hound a Republican out office for something like this hasn't specifically come up.

Anyway, the Democrats are screaming for him to step aside. A few of them haven't opined on the matter, but the ones who have are saying he has to go. They aren't taking any chances of being called hypocrites or leaving him in office to be a some kind of anchor in 2020. They want him out now. This kind of "absolutism" really is not good for our society at all. I hope when Trump is gone that things calm down some, but I suspect now that the toothpaste has left the tube it's never going back in.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:20 pm

Success!

I have avoided watching the "news" at different intervals only to seen enough to raise my BP. I dropped by and read all the hub bub over Mr. Northram, apparently a governor although I only glean that from info on this thread. I have no idea who this man is or what the problem he is having beyond the obvious comments read here. I am thrilled to know nothing about this subject and the stupid offense oriented PC society it engenders. Good riddance to the National Enquirer nightly news a miserable media spews at any and every chance trying to incite public sentiment day in and day out, occasionally they have a news item, possibly by mistake. Current society has evolved beyond me and my sensibilities into this vast morass. They can have it, I'm out. Shalom.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt