Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:45 am

Random thought: if you close your eyes while listening to it, you can easily be convinced that When the Curtain Falls by Greta Van Fleet is really Led Zeppelin.
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:59 am

I don't know if this is going on in PA, but many towns around here are taking making serious attempts to reduce the use of plastic for food-related items.

My town recently passed a ban on things like plastic bags in grocery stores and the use of plastic and/or styrofoam by restaurants that offer take-out. No more styrofoam coffee cups or food containers, plastic straws, plastic utensils, etc. The law doesn't go into effect until March, but the local DD has already replaced its styrofoam coffee cups with paper cups.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:25 am

PA is not yet on board with this, but they should be. I no longer take plastic straws any more and am trying to minimize my use of it. Unfortunately, we go through a ton of milk in my house so we still get the plastic 2 gallon jugs from Costco but once my son leaves for college in the fall I think we are going to buy the 1 gallons in the cardboard carton instead.

I think it's inevitable that most states are eventually going to adopt this. You would think that, given the evidence of what plastic is doing to the oceans and how microplastics are getting into the food supply this would not be even remotely controversial. And yet .....

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:54 am

I'm old enough to remember when almost no plastic was used in food delivery. Beverages came in glass bottles, cans or wax-coated cartons. If you got an order of fish & chips to go, it came on a very sturdy paper plate in a flat paper bag, as opposed to a styrofoam container in a plastic bag. Straws were made out of paper. And all of this was fine.

I'm not a hardcore environmentalist, but I never, from DAY ONE, understood the transition to plastic for food items. It's not made from a renewable resource like paper, it takes forever to degrade and it's only marginally more functional than paper. Decades ago, the very first time I saw a Big Mac housed in its own little styrofoam bunker, I knew this would end badly. This transition to plastic was a disaster waiting to happen.
Fire Alex Cora

tempe

Postby tempe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:11 am

Plastic is a disaster that has already happened - and keeps happening. Look at the Amazon - unreal. I am an environmentalist and all that orbits. All my studies as a lifelong humanities student has brought me to one objective, undeniable fact - Humans suck - and would be the last thing any moral "god" would ever create.

ps - if you want to be healthy AND reduce being cruel - stop drinking milk or using any dairy in any form.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:07 pm

So I guess a Big Mac housed in its own little styrofoam bunker would be WAY out?
My wife buys non-fat milk exclusively. As near as I can tell, it's water infused with this stuff:

----------------

On a more serious note, I don't think it's necessary or effective to take the "moral high ground" on plastics. Just the opposite.
You don't have to be Mother Theresa to see the making of totally unnecessary disposable packaging out of crude oil as a bad idea.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:06 pm

I'm not a hardcore environmentalist, but I never, from DAY ONE, understood the transition to plastic for food items.

I'll give you one guess as to what the driving factor was for that decision.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:21 pm

In the History of the World, money and/or power and/or "getting laid" have been the driving factors for most decisions. I think we can rule out power and getting laid here.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:26 pm

I don't know. I think many women find plastic straws a powerful aphrodisiac. But, you are correct - it was a factor of money.

What I don't get is how this has turned into a quasi political red/blue issue. Well, maybe I do get it, but I'm extremely disappointed that it has.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:09 pm

I found a list of all the places that now have plastic bans. PA was conspicuous by its absence. Why don't you people get your act together? You're killing the planet.

Mrs psu_dad: What happened to not taking the moral high ground?
Me: I'm not. I'm busting chops. It's a guy thing.
Fire Alex Cora