Random Thoughts Again

Shane

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Shane » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:00 pm

A few years ago, my dad and I golfed on a weekend and told me that he had a doctor's appointment the next day. This was the same guy that walked 18 holes five days a week. He was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and was gone 77 days later. It happened VERY quickly.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:04 pm

I have probably told this before, but my father in law was diagnosed with stage 2 pancreatic cancer in early November 2010. When he went in for surgery after Thanksgiving, it was stage 4 but they proceeded and aggressively treated with chemo and radiation as much as he could tolerate. He now organizes events for pancreatic cancer support and awareness.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:52 pm

Shane - sorry man, that's rough. But, that timetable is about what I've heard from people I know who have relatives diagnosed with late state Pancreatic cancer. I had a cousin who was diagnosed at stage 3 and she lived like 7 months. But, from the small sample of people I know who have had relatives with a stage 4 diagnosis it's been really fast. 6 weeks. 9 weeks. Fast.

Lion - he's had stage 4 since since 2010. That's amazing.
Is it baseball season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:12 pm

I probably should have been more clear, B-Dub. He went in for monthly-ish screenings for maybe 18 months and was declared cancer free five years ago.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:19 pm

By and large, stage four PanCan is a death sentence. Treatments are getting better and survival rates are increasing, but not quickly. The big problem is that warning signs rarely materialize until the disease has reached stage 3 or 4, meaning it has been lurking for maybe a decade or more.

My father in law attributes his survival to 1) getting a second opinion. 2) very aggressive and immediate treatment and 3) a positive attitude. Now, he was a pain in the ass while going through his chemo regime; complained about everything (and he was never a good sick person, in the first place) but his family stood by him and did everything they could to help. That was probably a factor as well.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:47 am

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:23 am

What a nightmare. I will never understand why parents are willing to reject established, peer-reviewed medical studies that over-whelmingly support the benefits of vaccines while accepting debunked studies such as the one linking vaccines to autism. The willingness to put their children's lives at risk is criminal and if not, should be criminal. I know a physician whose daughter is autistic. He cited the now debunked Lancet article to validate his belief that vaccines caused his daughter's autism. Suffice it to say, I will never seek him out for medical treatment.The fact that the anti-vax trend is growing is disturbing at many levels, particularly because the collateral damage can harm so many people.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:11 am

PittGradPSUMad wrote:What a nightmare. I will never understand why parents are willing to reject established, peer-reviewed medical studies that over-whelmingly support the benefits of vaccines while accepting debunked studies such as the one linking vaccines to autism. The willingness to put their children's lives at risk is criminal and if not, should be criminal.

1. Because they're stupid.

2. I believe in some states it is criminal. If I remember right, a couple recently went to jail somewhere for not vaccinating their kids.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:00 pm

I don't think (but could be mistaken) that there are any states that criminalize not giving vaccines. There have been incidents of parents going to jail for not vaccinating kids where there were custody disputes, but I don't believe anyone has been jailed for flat out refusing to vaccinate their kids. There have been parents convicted for not getting their kids medical help when they got sick, but I don't know of any state the criminalizes failure to vaccinate.

As for the idea they are stupid - I think that is too simple an explanation. I think misguided and misinformed is a little better. There is a lot of propoganda out there and there is a growing tendency in this country to distrust people who are actually experts. Why should we believe someone with an education who has done actual research when we can all just search Google? Otherwise intelligent people get convinced of some fairly radical and ill founded ideas.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:00 pm

I don't think (but could be mistaken) that there are any states that criminalize not giving vaccines.

I don't think you're mistaken.

To my knowledge, the only laws are those mandating vaccination for public school attendance ... with a few exemptions that vary from state to state. I suppose if you kept your kid out of school for this reason and didn't make an alternative arrangement for their education, you could get in legal trouble.
Klaatu barada nikto