Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:51 pm

And if you're kid gets sick and you don't get them treated, you could be facing charges. Or, as part of a custody order, you don't follow the judges orders on vaccinations. But, just refusing to vaccinate your kids is not something that I believe can be prosecuted.

Should it be? Should it be considered child abuse? I really am not interested in the state telling people how to raise their kids, but the fact is we do an element of that already. You can't physically abuse your kids (although, emotional abuse is fine). You have to send them to school. Not sending them to school, as you point out, can get you at least a visit from state authorities. Not sure it gets you jail time, but there are consquences. If your kid breaks his arm or leg and you don't take him to get that set by a doctor I think you can possibly face charges (depends some on circumstances, intent, etc.). So, should failure to prevent your kid from catching harmful and easily preventable diseases be a crime?
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:07 pm

So, should failure to prevent your kid from catching harmful and easily preventable diseases be a crime?

These decisions aren't made using logic. They're made using politics. I think a catastrophe would be required to build enough political momentum for criminalizing vaccine avoidance, such as a significant number of child deaths.
Klaatu barada nikto

tempe

Postby tempe » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:54 pm

If your kid is ten pounds underweight the state will take the kid away and toss the parents in jail - but if your kid is 50 pounds overweight - no big deal - what do want us to do? Child obesity is an issue and has been for a while - but when all the kids are doing it...

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:40 pm

In Venezuela people are fighting for emergency food donations to stave off starvation

In America food insecurity means obese people might not get a 3rd helping of crab legs at the all you can eat buffet
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/crazine ... 06232.html
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:16 am

Apparently crab legs contain a chemical that makes you stupid. I think I'll stick to scallops.
Klaatu barada nikto

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:26 am

sameoldlama wrote:In Venezuela people are fighting for emergency food donations to stave off starvation

In America food insecurity means obese people might not get a 3rd helping of crab legs at the all you can eat buffet
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/crazine ... 06232.html

Good grief. :roll:
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:42 am

tempe wrote:If your kid is ten pounds underweight the state will take the kid away and toss the parents in jail - but if your kid is 50 pounds overweight - no big deal - what do want us to do? Child obesity is an issue and has been for a while - but when all the kids are doing it...

You lost me on the ten pounds underweight/throw the parents in jail, but I'm with you on the childhood obesity point. That is a huge problem in this country. These kids are are going to have major health problems as they get older and it's going to cost all of us a fortune as health care costs continue to rise because of it. So, should childhood obesity be considered child abuse?

I think that one is a bit tougher, to be honest. I think parents are fighting uphill battles. When schools are putting vending machines in that sell soda and snacks full of sugar, and when there is sugar added to all our food by manufacturers, and when tax payers heavily subsidize corporate farmers who product this crap so McDonald's and Burger King is dirt cheap and junk food is the cheapest thing in the super market - especially in inner cities - it's kind of tough to point at a specific set of parents and say "it's all your fault and you alone should be punished for it". But, something needs to change because these kids are going to die.

The more money you have and the more affluent the area you live, the easier it is to get your kids the right foods. But, my wife and I struggle with it too. My oldest is 17. He has a car, he has a job, he earns his own money and he spends it. And, he eats out with his friends all the time. And, he eats like crap and he's putting weight on. Mom and I are on him about this, but it's tough to combat. My younger son is a rail. You can hold him up to the light to take an X-ray but my older son is starting to put on the pounds and it concerns me. Doesn't concern him, though.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:17 am

McDonald's and Burger King is dirt cheap and junk food is the cheapest thing in the super market - especially in inner cities - it's kind of tough to point at a specific set of parents and say "it's all your fault and you alone should be punished for it".

That's a common narrative, but it's mostly BS.

You can give your children a bowl of oatmeal, a hard-boiled egg and an orange for less than any breakfast at McDonald's. And a tuna fish sammich for lunch is going to set you back $2.

My wife and I did something recently we haven't done in a very long time. We were coming home after a long day and stopped at a McDonalds drive-thru. (Her: "I'm going to get a #3". Me: "Fine. Just get two of them). It came out to something like $14. I nearly shat my pants. I could have purchased the finest hamburger and made burgers & fries for 4 people at home for that price.

---------------------

If it's any consolation, my youngest went through a similar phase when he was a senior in HS and the swim team season ended. He had money from a summer job and access to a car and developed a Taco Bell addiction. But that passed. He's a lean (seafood-eating) vegetarian now.
Klaatu barada nikto

tempe

Postby tempe » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:26 pm

If you send your kid to school and they appear malnourished - people get way involved. Take the kid - arrest you. Hence the ten pound remark. Ten pounds under the national norm would be huge. There was an article in the AZ republic on this a few years ago. Kid wss fine - but people were freaking on the parents.

But ten - or forty over - no big deal. It's a national issue - blah blah. No one is calling in parents and no one is going to jail. (Not that they should either way really - education classes maybe) That is my point.

Parents could demand this crap is out of schools - but they do not - that is my point. Parents carry a lot of power. Today, if a parent bitches about just about anything there are policy change - lawsuit...

Fat is the new norm. Fat size models - they are beautiful people - no they are not - they are fat! That is my point.

When they tried to make school lunches healthy - it all went in the garbage. That is my point.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:04 am

psu_dad wrote:That's a common narrative, but it's mostly BS.

So, I did some googling on the topic and it seems I stand corrected. It is more expensive to eat meats and fresh vegetables but there are several articles that report on studies on this and you can eat healthy for about what you can eat junk (depending on what you eat). And, I saw reference to a Bloomberg study that said the price of fast food has been rapidly rising the last few years making even meat and vegetables cost competitive.

So, I retract that point based on updated information.