Random Thoughts Again

sameoldlama

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:52 am

I think tempe is spot on - our perspective on "what is normal" has shifted dramatically. I'm guessing if we pulled out pictures from our childhood we would all look really underfed relative to today's youth. The average kid I see today would have been the fat kid when I was in elementary school. I've also had multiple teachers tell me that the healthy lunches schools provide to students on subsidized lunch programs often end up in the trash.

I don't think it's as easy as the ready availability of junk food - my diet as a kid was far from nutritionally sound - I ate sugar cereals for breakfast - more than my share of lunches that featured PB&J or bologna sandwiches w/ chips and usually had a Tastycake or ice cream while watching TV at night. And man I loved me an A-Treat soda (I don't think I had a diet soda until I was 30). So I ate some less than optimal food but the portions were not mega sized. I ate one Tastycake a day, the soda was 12oz (and again one a day) and the chips my Mom put in my lunch wouldn't amount to a mouthful by today's standards. I've mentioned this before but when my company has guys come over from Europe or Asia and we go to a diner and their meal is put in front of them they are in shock at the portion size - they look around the table because they think it is supposed to be a shared plate.
Every kid I knew was also far more active than kids today because we didn't have cell phones, video games or Netflix to entertain us - we had pick up sports games, riding our bikes and whatever other outdoor run around activity we could come up with (which for my neighborhood even included trying to recreate Rollerball).

I didn't grow up affluent and eating out was considered a "treat" or something you did on the weekend - there is just a whole different attitude towards food today and it is far more available than ever before. This is another self inflicted problem our society faces. Arnie tried to get the kids moving, Michelle Obama took it on as her FLOTUS project to get them to eat better - Lord knows we've launched some initiatives but as a society we lack the willpower.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:18 am

I agree that lack of exercise and portion sizes are absolutely part of the issue. When I was a kid I lived on my bike. And, to be fair, my kids were on their bikes a lot until my oldest got his license. Eating out is another issue. We don't eat out a ton, but we eat out more than I did when I was a kid for sure. And, even what people eat at home is a problem. My wife and I both work and it's tough to make good meals all the time. We try, but we do not always succeed. And, then you get into the fact that everything has sugar added to it. It's a number of things and all of it contributes to the health of our kids. And, it starts them off on a lifetime of choices and behaviors that can work against them. If you are a fat kid it's probable you will be a fat adult.
Is it baseball season yet?

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 am

I think it really is a matter of being active. All the time. I mean there are kids who play sports in school who are still "bigger" kids. When we weren't playing sports (organized) we were on our bikes, swimming, playing pick-up whatever all the time. You just don't see it that much anymore. We played outside. All. The. Time. Hell, my mother locked us OUT of the house during the summer. We got to come in at lunchtime. Thirsty? Get a drink out of the hose. Now being locked out might have been somewhat detrimental to me as I used that time to build many forts and treehouses. Which was fine except I took my dad's very nice hatchet, with a leather wrapped handle and proceeded to leave it in the woods overnight. And it rained. For a few days. And when it was re-discovered it was rusty and the handle was in bad shape. And so the ass beating commenced . . . . :(

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:46 am

Thirsty? Get a drink out of the hose.

Drinking cold water out of a garden hose after playing baseball in the blazing summer heat remains one of the greatest pleasures of my lifetime.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:02 pm

Drinking cold water out of a garden hose after playing baseball in the blazing summer heat remains one of the greatest pleasures of my lifetime.

It's up there with my mom calling me in at like 9 pm on a summer night because she hadn't seen me all day and it was time to take a shower and turn in. Or running around the backyards with all the neighbor's kids catching fire flies. Or the sound of the icecream truck coming up the street.

My kids did some of that. Not all of it, but some of that, up until around 7th or 8th grade.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:43 pm

In retrospect, we were lucky that our sons got involved in competitive swimming at an early age. It was nearly year-round and involved vigorous exercise 4-5 days a week. It also didn't leave much time to play "couch potato". So we didn't have to micro-manage their diet.
Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Some great comments/memories on our collective childhoods here, for sure. I wonder how accurate the assessment of the modern youth is, however. I think kids still go out to play and get dirty and catch fireflies when the sun goes down. It is possible that there is less of it, or it is possible that we don’t see it as much because we, as stuffy old men, have to go to work every day. I suppose that our newfound in hero fear of everything outside of our door is also a factor as well.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Just so we touch all the bases - we have to throw in a walking in the snow uphill story.

40 years Ago
My friends and I would walk about 2 miles to get to the legendary Hackett's Park Hill for sledding - by my memory the run was probably a 30% angle, went over a 1/4 mile and we probably reached speeds of 50mph (using Ralphie Parker kid physics). And would do as many runs as we could in 4-5 hours time. So between the walk there, the uphill walk after each run and walk home we probably logged 8-10 miles. Half of it uphill in the snow.

Today
Parents drive kids to Ski resort - kids tube down mountain, take lift chair back up, split huge nacho plate and have burger and fries in Lodge, drive home.

My guess is we all ate our share of junk food back then but we also burned 3000 calories a day. Man do I miss playing Rollerball (although there were a lot of arguments over who was going to be Jonathan E and who was going to be Moonpie).
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:16 pm

The lack of parental supervision is the most dramatic difference. I took off on my bike every summer morning (as a grade school kid) looking for a pick-up baseball game. All over town. My parents had NO idea where I was and no way to contact me. I used to play ice hockey on a local pond with ZERO parental supervision. I also used to go fishing there (and elsewhere) with just my friends.

It isn't remotely conceivable that my grandson is ever going to do any of that. At least not until he gets a driver's license. Virtually all play is organized now.

-------------------

50 MPH is nothing. My friends and I once broke the sound barrier on a old wooden toboggan. We hit a bump at one point and were airborne for 100 yards.
Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:29 pm

Times were different then. Maybe that is too broad of a statement, but they have changed. Where I grew up, neighbors, regardless of age difference, would look out for everyone rather than come home and close the front door. My dad would ring a big bell when it was time to eat or come in for the night. Now, you can count on some friends, but probably not the entire block. I don’t know what has changed in this regard but would guess that technology has something to do with it. We have more access to news and information but we are less connected with humanity.