Random Thoughts Again

Crowbar

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Crowbar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:55 pm

Times were no doubt different back then. And, no, that's not me being a cranky middle aged man.

I remember playing street hockey all the live long day back then. We had some intense games against other neighborhoods. We would get all banged up, but no one really payed any attention to that - unless you ended up in the hospital or something.

Sorry if this has already been said, but I think the 24/7 news channels played into this changing. Stories of a kid being kidnapped by some soulless monster are broadcasted on these channels until kingdom come. As such, people are constantly exposed to them, thus increasing paranoia. While these stories absolutely need to be aired, I think they spook people out and make them more willing to keep their kids close to the vest, if you will. Add the new fires of social media and you have an almost irreversible situation.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:56 pm

I think the 24/7 news channels played into this changing.

Not just the 24/7 aspect, but the cable TV aspect. In the old days of over-the-air TV, the FCC had very strict control over broadcast content. There was a time when people would have been imprisoned for broadcasting much of the stuff on cable TV today.

I grew up blissfully ignorant of some of the uglier aspects of life. I didn't know what a pedophile was until I became a teenager. I was oblivious to the very concept. That wasn't something that teachers and news broadcasts talked about. We were just given vague warnings about "never getting into a car" with a stranger.
Klaatu barada nikto

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 pm

I think that 9/11 fed the cable news to the people to tthe point of addiction, which is part of what brings us to the distasteful situation today. After such a horrific event I, like many, sat mesmerized at the screen waiting to hear the why and how, and the networks ate those ratings up. Now every item is ...BREAKING NEWS... and the search for the salacious along with opinionated everything drives public perception today. Not that I can segue that back to fat kids, but it's related in a way.

Bikes around the lake. Putting loads of hay in the barn all summer. Hearing the yell to run for dinner through field and forest. Rural New York kept kids lean like this and many more already mentioned...

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:54 pm

hbendle wrote:I think that 9/11 fed the cable news to the people to tthe point of addiction, which is part of what brings us to the distasteful situation today. After such a horrific event I, like many, sat mesmerized at the screen waiting to hear the why and how, and the networks ate those ratings up. Now every item is ...BREAKING NEWS... and the search for the salacious along with opinionated everything drives public perception today. Not that I can segue that back to fat kids, but it's related in a way.

Bikes around the lake. Putting loads of hay in the barn all summer. Hearing the yell to run for dinner through field and forest. Rural New York kept kids lean like this and many more already mentioned...

I've always told my children that I hoped their childhood was as happy as mine. In summertime, my mother would make breakfast, then boot the three of us out the door to play. Mom spent the day cleaning various parts of the house which she believed would remain clean only if we remained outside. Come lunchtime, mom would hand glasses of milk and PB&Js to us through the kitchen window, then wouldn't see us until dinner time. Baseball, exploring the woods behind the playground, riding bikes, trading baseball cards, getting filthy dirty, sleeping out at night in the vacant field next to the house.....these were everyday joys practiced religiously with my best friends. And jeezus did I have great friends.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:21 am

Italy outraged as court finds victim too ugly to be raped

You don't even need to really read the story as the headline says it all.

But, one little nuance you do get from reading it: the panel of judges who made the ruling were all women. Man, women are harsh!
Is it baseball season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:21 am

Blue&White wrote:Italy outraged as court finds victim too ugly to be raped

You don't even need to really read the story as the headline says it all.

But, one little nuance you do get from reading it: the panel of judges who made the ruling were all women. Man, women are harsh!

Holy Jesus.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:25 am

hbendle wrote:I think that 9/11 fed the cable news to the people to tthe point of addiction, which is part of what brings us to the distasteful situation today. After such a horrific event I, like many, sat mesmerized at the screen waiting to hear the why and how, and the networks ate those ratings up. Now every item is ...BREAKING NEWS... and the search for the salacious along with opinionated everything drives public perception today. Not that I can segue that back to fat kids, but it's related in a way.

I am not going to lie.

This stuff spooks me out too, even though I am aware the stranger danger child abduction thing is pretty rare in this country. However, it is still on my mind as I don't want one of my kids to become a "statistic". And though it is rare I still cannot even begin to fathom what the parents of poor souls like Polly Klaas must go through everyday.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:50 am

I've been pretty busy at work and last night I was working on something until about 11 while simultaneously questioning my life choices. Anyway, I have had an epiphany - the higher up the chain I get, the less actual value I provide.

I used to negotiate major deals for my employer and those deals generally resulted in improved terms, reduced costs and more access to products and services. Then I was promoted to run the team that negotiates all the major deals my company does, basically making me the overall lead negotiator with a team of people that work on individual deals that I over see. And, in that role I was also able to see the bottom line impact that i had.

But, that job has evolved to a point where now most of what I do is write power point presentations on deals that other people are negotiating. Other people are doing the negotiating because I don't have time to do any actual work anymore because all I do is write executive briefings on the work my team is doing.

On the plus side, every time my team delivers a good outcome I get most of the credit. :D

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 am

You're making the prospect of my impending promotion even more depressing.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 am

On the plus side, I get paid more now. So, there's that.