Random Thoughts Again

psudelco

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby psudelco » Mon May 27, 2019 4:41 pm

I am here and was wondering what happened I thought Mark finally had enough

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon May 27, 2019 6:19 pm

Thanks, Mark. I've been checking daily. Withdrawal symptoms have abated. Good to be back. FYI, in the interim, trump continues to be a giant hehmroid.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Mon May 27, 2019 8:44 pm

Aaaaand we're back!

It felt really weird not being able to check into this little corner of cyberworld.

So here's a post for the Random Thoughts Thread. If anyone has seen the movie "The Dirt" about Motley Crew, today I met the kid who played the young Nikki Sixx in that movie. He's friends with the son of a lady I know here in South Carolina. Really nice kid, well spoken, engaging, I really liked him. He went to the local high school until this past year when he started home schooling so he could do more acting stuff. He shot a pilot recently in Atlanta that will hopefully get picked up by Syfy. Anyway, obviously he's a young kid but about he saw my PSU shirt and said that he met Joe Paterno in Orlando about 9 years ago. Just said he remembered Joe being very nice to him and his family. It had absolutely nothing to do with football but I thought it was pretty cool that it left an impression on him.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Tue May 28, 2019 1:27 pm

Wow. Thanks for the restoration, Mark. I was jonesing for some PSU fix.

I also feel my lack of posting for the incredible PSU lacrosse run, up to the NCAA semifinals, is the jinx that kept them from being national champions...

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue May 28, 2019 1:50 pm

Or it could have been because Yale scored 52 goals before the Lions got their heads out of their collective bums.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 28, 2019 9:03 pm

So, the board went down again and Mark got it back up quickly this time. He is trying to change some things in the settings that hopefully should make it tougher to take down. We will see.

I suspect we are going to have to deal with these annoying service interruptions from time to time as spammers periodically hack us and screw the forum up.

Thanks everyone for your patience.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 28, 2019 9:33 pm

I did extensive research (about 3 minutes) and found a forum in which someone asked how to screw up a phpBB-based chat board. No, I'm not suggesting he was the culprit. But what was interesting was the number of posters who made references to their "parents", usually while boasting about how good they were at hiding their douchebag exploits from them.

Kids. I hope. The alternative is too sad to contemplate.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 28, 2019 9:40 pm

No, I'm not suggesting he was the culprit.

Probably not, but I vote we track him down and kill him just to be safe.
Baseball season!!!!

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Thu May 30, 2019 7:02 am

PittGradPSUMad wrote:Or it could have been because Yale scored 52 goals before the Lions got their heads out of their collective bums.

As a huge Penn Stater and a lacrosse guy, I feel like I have to discuss this here:

My brother and I went down to the Linc for the tournament. Got tickets in the lower bowl endzone for cheap. The NCAA tourney is always a great chance for us to catch up with a lot of old friends from our playing days (both my younger brother and I played at Eastern and have a lot of buddies from there still involved in lacrosse) and have a few drinks. Unfortunately as a high school lacrosse coach, I do have to be on my best behavior while tailgating because of the high probability of hearing "Hey Coach Ryan . . . . "

We got down, tailgated, and headed in for the start of the first game. UVA vs Duke. Duke has won the last 11 matchups against a storied UVA program that has struggled recently but is resurgent under newer head coach Lars Tiffany who came from Brown and made his trademark fast physical play with two way midfielders who want to run. He has a ton of talent on that team (lots from the hotbead Philadelphia area) so the crowd was big (I think 36,000 for the semis) and his style has meshed well with installation of a shot-clock in college lacrosse that has increased the value of two-way middies and fast, aggressive offense.

All that said, the first game was relatively boring . . . until the final minutes. UVA (nicknamed the "Cardiac Cavs" because of their 5 OT games and wins this year) surged at the end and scored with just a few seconds left to send it to OT. They score, and are now 6-0 in OT games this year. Great win, but myself and those around us were mostly just happy it was over so we could see out high flying Nitt's against the defending National Champ.

For perspective, this PSU team was on an historic tear this year. The only team other than the early 90's Syracuse team (with two of the greatest players of all time, Paul and Gary Gait) to score 20+ goals in back to back NCAA games. They have a great faceoff guy (Arceri, 3rd Team AA) and record setting attackman (Grant Ament, single season record for Assists and Mac O'Keefe leading the NCAA in scoring). But what is really impressive about them is their depth of scoring. They send wave after wave of guys at you and play a hybrid style of field and box lacrosse. The box influence shows up in constant movement, precision passing, and creativity. And they are relatively young, only 1 of their top 10 scorers graduates this year.

But a strong (record breaking) faceoff player in Yale's TD Erlan (Junior who transferred to the defending National Championship team after losing to them last year at Albany) really decided this game. The first quarter was possession after possession for Yale, playing make-it take-it lacrosse. And Penn State's normally strong defense and goalie struggled, partially due to the Yale's talent level, partially due to the volume of defense they had to play, and I think they also (goalie in particular) just had an off day. After the first quarter (10-2 Yale), the game leveled out and Penn State outscored Yale 15-11. Unfortunately the mountain was too tall to climb at that point.

However, I refuse to let a disappointing outcome poison my enthusiasm for this team and this program. Their head coach (Jeff Tambroni) is outstanding and clearly has this program moving in the right direction. They should be the favorite heading into next year, and I don't think we've seen the last of Penn State at the NCAA final four.

TLDR: Disappointing game for a great team and a program on the rise. Watch again next year, there will be more fireworks.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu May 30, 2019 8:09 am

I just want to follow up on Nat's post and add this: I have never seen a lacrosse game in my entire life. Not one. In fact, I know nothing about the sport. Not a single thing. Nat's entire write up on the action could have been written in Martian and my understanding of his description would not have diminished at all.

That's it. That's all I had to say. Carry on.
Baseball season!!!!